“Great for a cleanser”

Button Bar
Ranked #2,584 of 6,102 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Bar
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Description: Subtle pirate theme'd, cocktail slinging, Rock n' Roll watering hole.We can be found at an unmarked wooden sliding door at the lower end of Foveaux Street in Surry Hills. No X marking the spot, so if you find it, half the battle has been won! Venture in you'll find the bartender's slinging cocktails behind a large wood panel fit out playing rock n' roll and blues. There's a large array of spirits including barrel's of home spiced rum, singapore sling's and sherry.And if you're just looking for a quick beer/cider, you'll find beers selected from our bartender's favourite local brewery's...
Reviewed December 7, 2013

OK, I'll fess up that I visited this bar after a very long lunch in Sydney town at a joint called 4 Fourteen (see separate review). So I was well soaked when I came across this bar which was recommended by my youngest son who had just graduated - thus I am open to a suggestion that my state may have acted as a rose tinting - let's face it the 4 Star doesn't come out often. Enough of the excuses.

I found this a hip n happening place punching above the weight of its locale which is in somewhat of the bottom-end of Sydney near Central (can you believe Tripadvisor does not allow any descriptive [i.e. vernacular] words to describe that part of the city?). The service is good and the boys behind the bar know their whiskies and countless other more trendy liquors. We drank beers with chasers.

By the way, as an observation: Plenty of young professional women who seemed to out number the gentlemen.

Worth a look in. It gets very crowded after dark apparently.

3  Thank Webster27

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stopped here for drinks with friends after spending Melbourne cup day at Randwick.Although bar was quite busy,a hostess came to our table quite quickly after we sat down and brought us a complimentary bowl of pistachios,which was a nice touch.She then explained that we order at the bar.Delicious Sangria and quick service.Would definitely come back again

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I went to this place for a quiet drink. Upon entry we were given menus to order cocktails etc. Then a waiter came up and "advised" that the bar was closed... Odd because it contradicted what the other waiter said. When we brought this to light he had no response. Once the drinks were ordered to a lifetime to ACTUALLY get the drinks and chased up the bar man several times, after 20 mins was advised that a certain drink couldn't be made due to lack of stocking the alcohol... this was ridiculous and told by another bar staff... ordered and again and the drinks took another eternity..in the meantime 20 people walked in through the door and were served and not told the bar is closed! We were dressed appropriately but I was really shocked at the service and attitude and pure laziness of the staff. Small bars like that have the capability of losing their liquor licenses quite quickly if they don't pull their socks up. The customers are there to BE SERVED. Do your job and serve and be polite. I wouldn't recommend wasting your time, efforts and money on this place - there are more decent bars in Sydney with staff who have a great attitude and door policy. Seems to be a polished turd in my opinion. Amex members - dont waste your time.

1  Thank POLARBEAR81
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Cool little bar for meeting friends or hiding in a corner to read a book. Great atmosphere with cool music, great lighting, relaxed music and great attitude from the people behind the bar.

1  Thank MatHealey
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Hidden behind an unassuming facade, this place is a cool find. A moody candlelit room, a wall of spirits, and experienced hands pouring some excellent cocktails. Close to Central station. Take a stroll up Foveaux to Crown St for dinner.