“Outstanding Home Away From Home”

Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour
Ranked #3 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Great hotel, outstanding staff, 24 hour desk coverage, very comfortable surroundings (lobby, restaurant and room), Fantastic customer service by all the staff. Very nicely done decoration and layout in room. Staff were very friendly, professional, helpful and excited to help in any way.
They gave great directions and great suggestions on what to see. After having been traveling in Australia and New Zealand for 3 weeks, we were glad to find such a wonderful place that made
us feel that were at home. Breakfast fare and coffee made to order were excellent. Overall just a great place to stay. We most strongly recommend this hotel experience.

1  Thank Zegrahm
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear Zegrahm,

You were a long way from home when you visited us and I am so pleased that you felt it was like your home away from home.

Thank you for your generous comments. It was great to hear that you loved the design and décor of this stunning property, the food and beverage and most of all the service. We did love looking after you!

Andrew Adams-Smith

Write a ReviewReviews (2,239)

Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the Williamson suite with my husband for a one night stay - it was amazing. The photos on the website don't quite do it justice. The first time in a hotel where the minibar was a mini bar! Loved everything about it. Thank you. Will visit again the next time we are in Sydney.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi Gilly,

The Williamson Suite is an AWESOME space and we are so happy that you loved it. Thank you for your great review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Great hotel, well located, excellent staff (24 hours). Very comfortable, clean and full of character. Brilliant to be able to shower on arrival after a long-haul flight. Wasn't over-priced. Highly recommend.

Dear Stephanie,

Those unique services we provide our guests make all the difference, I am pleased you enjoyed the private bathroom available to guests arriving off an early flight.

Thank you so much for your other wonderful comments and thank you for your High Recommendation!

Come back soon so we can spoil you some more!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The front desk staff was very friendly, and the location was within walking distance of Darling Harbour and the city. The rooms were nicely furnished and comfortable, with interesting artwork and original brick walls. The prices, at the time I booked, were excellent since Sydney is an expensive city. Lots of good, reasonably-priced eating nearby, we got a great dinner recommendation for Mamak from the front desk, the Fish Market is fun for lunch, and for a cheap dinner, I would recommend the food court at the nearby Star Casino. Sounds weird, but trust me, it’s the nicest food court you’ll ever see.

Some minor problems with the hotel however. When I booked the room, I later received an email telling me I need to book two rooms for three people. I emailed back and pointed out I had done that. Then I heard nothing for over 36 hours, and emailed again. Finally I got a confirmation. Even given the time differences, I felt this was too long and resented that they panicked me for no reason. Secondly, there were some odd noises in the the bathroom, although nothing that would keep you up. Thirdly, unless you eat in the hotel, there are few nearby cafés for breakfast. Also, you have to walk through a parking structure to get to the harbour and the area is quiet, so as a woman alone, I might not want to take that route at night. Finally, when we went to go to the airport, the front desk was unable call a cab or flag a cab for some reason, so we had to walk a few blocks to another hotel to get one. Allow enough time for this.

Although it bills itself as the Instagram hotel, I don’t really see the connection. There was an empty picture frame in the lobby for photos and you can get a free stay with 10K+ followers, but for mere mortals that doesn’t really add any value. More of a marketing idea really.
Nevertheless, for the price, I would stay at this hotel again. I only need 9,900 more Instagram followers to really score.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank deepcover

Dear Deep Cover,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about the great location of the hotel, the reuse and refurbishment of this old wool store and our great staff.

We celebrate our the history of this historic water front suburb of Sydney and this building which has progressed and improved over the years. We also want to highlight the evolution of the first roll film camera invented by George Eastman in 1888. We do this with the "selfie" frame in the lobby, a self guided walk indicating great locations for guests to take pictures and other initiatives.

Thank you for your comments about your reservation, most unusual but I will work on this to find out what happened. I appreciate that you have brought this to my attention.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed a few months ago, it was good then and its even better now. This time I stayed in a loft room, a split level room with the very comfy bed on the mezzanine floor and the bathroom and lounge down stairs. Plenty of space to spread out.

Had breakfast and evening drinks, both were busier than when I last stayed. not surprising since its great quality and good prices.

Used the gym and pool at Ian Thorpe Centre (guests have a free pass) which was wonderful, much better than the typical hotel gym.

Location remains perfect as does with renovation and fit out of the this historic wool store.

But shining brighter than ever are the staff. Impossible to single out and one in particular but saw the Manager caring bags and helping at breakfast. Its great to see the same welcoming faces Jess x2 and Cailine. Its like coming home!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Simon,

It was great to have you back at 1888 and thank you for your kind comments. It was wonderful to learn that we keep getting even better. We are thrilled to read that it is like "coming home" with our great team and familiar faces.

We look forward to seeing you again soon in your Sydney home.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights over Easter. Just loved the location, walking distance to sight seeing, star casino, restaurants anything you wanted just seem to be a short walk.
The room although small was very clean and the bed was great the best so comfortable.
The hotel was impressive and the staff were very friendly and helpful. A BIG thank you to the man (forgotten his name) who went out of his way to help me locate my misplaced bag, I really did appreciate it.
Hope to be back one day and can definitely recommend this hotel

1  Thank flyingtui10
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Flyingtui,

Thank you for your great review and kind comments about the wonderful team and the personalised service.

We are thrilled that you loved the location, the bed and staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon so we can spoil you some more!

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

I had hoped that this hotel lived up to the excellent reviews that it receives and boy was I not disappointed. From the moment we arrived the staff were more than friendly and helpful, especially Jessica. We had a shoebox room on the second floor which was perfect for our two night stay, spotlessly clean and comfortable (and quiet too, which is a must for me). The iPad is a great addition and helped us seek out restaurants etc. with ease. I recommend having a drink in the bar if you can, the barman (I missed his name) is one of the most friendly people we met whilst in Australia.

Overall, I can't wait to visit again! Shame it is so far away. 1888 - ever thought about branching out into hotels in the UK? ;-)

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Apfelsaft,

An "Amazing Review", thank you so much for your kind words. I am thrilled to learn that you loved your stay with us, it was great to read that we lived up to your high expectations.

Although we don't (yet) have a property in the UK the 8Hotels Collection does has a property in Paris, just visit the web site to learn more www.8hotels.com. Of course if you would like to make a reservation in Paris or any of our properties let me know and I will be happy to assist in ensuring you are spoilt everywhere you go!