“It's gr8 @ 1888”

Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour
Ranked #3 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 16, 2013

1888 at Darling Harbour Sydney is a very nice hotel, the staff are extremely helpful. The rooms are new, clean and functional. We had a great stay and the price was awesome. The proximity to Darling Harbour is excellent, a simple 100m walk.
The iPad in the room is a great innovation.
Every thing from the Decor to the location to the price is pleasing.
My wife and I have just spent 5 weeks in Europe on a 21 day, Globus Bus Tour and 14 days in Italy & Ireland.
We stayed in, over 18 hotels & B&Bs, so we know a good hotel when we see one.

Room Tip: Windows are optional
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emelhain
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Emelhain,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I are very excited to read that you have truly enjoyed your experience with us.
After such a big trip to Europe, we hope we managed to deliver a relaxing and comfortable stay.

The team and I can't wait to welcome you again next year!

The 1888 Hotel Team

Write a ReviewReviews (2,281)

Reviewed December 15, 2013

1888 well and truly lived up to our expectations. Our modern king-bed room was a good size and very comfortable. There was no external window, which didn't bother us at all, though we were caught out one morning when instead of the forecast sun we went out of the lobby into rain!

All the staff were friendly and helpful, without exception.

The iPad in the room was very good - amongst other things it controlled the air conditioning, and gave access to the internet.

It was a very short walk to the light-rail station, to Darling Harbour, the city centre over the bridge, the Maritime Museum, and just beyond, the ferry to Circular Quay for the Opera House & Botanic Gardens etc.

Public transport is not the easiest if you arrive with luggage. Hotel staff recommended a taxi to the airport, and for 2 of us it cost little more than the train - for 3 or more the taxi will almost certainly be cheaper and a great deal handier!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Bob W,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I are delighted to read that we have well and truly lived up to your expectations.
Feedback from our guests is very important to us as it allows us continually improve the products and services that we offer at our wonderful hotel, especially since we opened few months ago.

The location of 1888 Hotel is unbeatable: only few minutes away from the best that Sydney has too offered and yet nestled in a quiet area.

The team and I can't wait to welcome you again and we hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I am a local Sydneysider and am very impressed with what this hotel offers: personalised service, friendly and knowledgable staff (WOW), superb location, a room complete with all the amenities for a relaxed and comfortable stay. Wi-fi worked well, parking was pre-booked and easy enough, and the bed was really comfortable! The lemonade and the instagram selfie space was a nice quirky touch. (Contrary to a previous reviewer I really loved the artwork. It is all subjective I suppose.) We stayed in a King Room on level 3 with an exterior view. It was a great room to stay in. I hope to keep 1888 a secret for as long as I can as I'm afraid the next time I want to stay it might be all booked out! I've stayed at a few higher priced hotels in Sydney - Hilton, Westin, Four Points, The Star, Radisson Blu, Sofitel, etc --- but have only been compelled to write a review for this particular property. It is the best in its class. My husband and I enjoyed our stay at 1888 Hotel and wish to return soon. PS. I have submitted feedback to the manager about a suggestion with regards to housekeeping and received a prompt reply that this will be attended to - I am very impressed. Hope the team and management of this hotel keep it up! Can't wait to see how it's all going in a few months. Also want to relay my thanks to Jess at the front desk for being so helpful and kind!

Room Tip: King Bedroom on level 3 with exterior view was a nice room to stay in
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Red_Panda44

Dear Red_Panda44,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I are excited to read that you have thoroughly enjoyed your experience with us.
We are proud of our genuine and warm service and we love looking after our guests.
The lemonade is our trade mark during the summer season and we are hoping to introducing more quirky touches soon.

The word is out and now everyone wants to stay at 1888.
We rely on our guests suggestions to improve our hotel and we welcome more feedback.

Have you booked your next trip yet? We can't wait to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

A gorgeously designed hotel using an amazing combination of old and new to creat an exciting ambience. Wonderful staff, great food and comfy beds. Convenient location is so close to darling harbour, star casino, light rail station etc. Very modern decor highlights the amazing age of so many original features in this heritage listed building. All food and wines are australian and thus is a nice patriotic touch also. The only place to stay in Sydney!!!

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Melmeister7,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are very proud of our all Australian wine and food menus.

Have you booked your next trip yet?

Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed with 1888 Hotel for 3 nights and even though we were on the ground floor with our room backing onto a main offramp of the main motorway in Darling Harbour we wouldn't have ever know it. The rooms have been done extremely well, a great balance of old and new and the soundproofing of the rooms were exceptional. The staff were extremely friendly, a refreshing change for someone who in a previous life worked in hotels. If they had availability for the time that I am staying in Sydney again in February next year I'd be staying there - extremely disappointed they didn't when I booked it last week :( But I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in Darling Harbour/Sydney. By far the best hotel I've had the pleasure of staying at in Sydney thus far :o)

Room Tip: If you can request a non ground floor room that would be good but if not, they are just as great (no...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Dear RinnyLambchop,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I are particularly excited to read that you had a great time with us and we are pleased to know that you liked the ground floor rooms: some of the quietest rooms.

Can you believe it that we are already full in February? The word is out: everyone wants to enjoy and relax at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I can't wait to welcome you again soon: maybe for the Xmas shopping?

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Stayed in 1881 Hotel just for one night, but my parents had already stayed here two days before I arrived. 1888 Hotel really deserves it´s high ratings. I know where I want to stay if I ever come back to Sydney!

Pros:
Great location. Closer to Darling Harbour you won´t get.
Rooms were very clean and comfortable.
Huge bed, maybe a bit too soft.
Very friendly staff.
Modern and very nice interior and atmosphere in hotels, as well as the rooms. Fancy elevator as well.
Superb breakfast. Everything was very tasty, and the fresh juice was also very good.
You´ll get your own iPad for personal use and free wi-fi internet. Awesome.

Cons:
That I just got to stay here one night....

.. actually there was one thing we found strange. It was a picture on the wall in room 303. it was a picture of a smashed brain and a boy with knives etc. I can´t really see the point of having this crap (art) on the wall...

Otherwise everything good. Highly recommended. 5/5

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear FyFazan,

Thank you for your great review of your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your experience with us and took advantage of our warm and genuine hospitality.
We are very proud of our design and décor and we love our breakfast offering: fresh and locally source product for our rustic and opulent offering.

We wish you'll be back soon and for a longer stay next time.

Regarding the art, we tried to keep it unique and we have collaborated with few local artists. Art is such a personal experience and I understand if what we display is not everyone's cup of tea. The good news is that all our rooms have different painting and printings and I am sure next time we can allocate a room more suitable to your taste.

The team and I can't wait to welcome you again.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

In a nutshell: I LOVED my recent stay and experience at the 1888 in Sydney, almost everything was perfect. Like the location for a start, Pyrmont is a good place to base yourself to explore, it is an easy walk across Darling Harbour to the CBD, it is quiet, yet still lively. I adore the hotel's decor and design, very cool, trendy and still warm. The team and staff at the 1888 are its biggest gem though, I have not come across anyone who was not outstandingly helpful, friendly, always with a sincere smile and willingness to make my stay as good as it possibly could be. They are chatty in the best possible way, go out of their way to make recommendations and give suggestions. The rooms are minimalist which I love, but again, warm and welcoming - everything you need is there, the beds super comfortable and the free WiFi for several devices is super fast. My only small negative comment was the fact that it was impossible not to flood the tiny bathroom with the shower, but I understand the hotel wanted to look into this. The rooms are reasonably small for Sydney standards (I had booked the smallest room type), but I felt very comfortable thereand would base myself in this hotel again any time!

Room Tip: I honestly think you cannot go wrong with any room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Eva S,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I are super excited to read that you really had a great time with us.
Our service is what we pride ourselves on at 1888 Hotel and it is fantastic to hear that this is being appreciated. I am very lucky to have such a wonderful team looking after our guests.
We love looking after and spoil our guests: we are here to deliver a fantastic experience.

Our Shoebox Rooms are the best value in town: all the luxuries squeezed in 15m2 without compromising in comfort and quality.

Have you planned your next trip to Sydney? We can't wait to welcome you again soon!