WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #6 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Best of places”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I've been travelling in Asia for the last 3 months with my fiancé and we've been to some ok hotels. We normally stay in name brand places as it's a safer bet but we thought we took a chance in Sydney with this cute little hotel.

As I'm from Las Vegas, I'm used to huge grand hotels so I didn't know what to expect. What a pleasant surprise I had. We had been reading on trip advisor how friendly the staff were and the reviews were right. Everyone was so helpful, regardless of time of day or night.

Our room was a shoebox but I suppose we should have expected it as that's what it was named. Haha. The biggest surprise was that we had an Apple iPad to use for free during our stay, with FREE wifi. Apparently every room has one. I've probably stayed in 50 hotels in the last few years and this was the first time I've seen this. WHY don't more hotels do this??

The iPad was able to show us what places were around us including the casino, that I wouldn't have been able to find otherwise. It's certainly not as grand as a Nevada casino but fun nonetheless. We ended up skipping the gambling part and drunk cocktails in a cute little bar near the marquee nightclub while we waited for the huge line to subside. It never did.

All in all, we stayed in Sydney for 4 days and had a blast. I will definitely be coming back and hopefully stay at 1888.

Thank you sydney for great weather And fun times.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Samantha J,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are quite excited to read that you have truly enjoyed your stay.
We definitely can't compete with the grandeur of Las Vegas but we are lucky to have such an amazing and intimate building.

We are simply catering for the modern traveller and everything we do is aimed to be designed around our guests needs.

Flights from Las Vegas to Sydney are quite frequent and cheaper nowadays so no excuses: book your next trip to Australia soon as we can't wait to welcome you again.

The 1888 Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights and were struck by the outstanding service from such a youthful team. The location is fabulous with just a 5 minute stroll to Darling Harbour. The rooms were small however very comfortable with outstanding beds and pillows. Ceratinly more than adequate as on holiday I like to be out not in our room. Nothing appeared to be a problem with the small things like looking after bags after checkout ordering taxi's and there was even the offer of a shower on our last day after cheking out certainly a nice touch. The conversion from a woolen mill to a hotel has certainly preserved this building to such a good use in the years to come. I will certainly use this Hotel again in future visits to Sydney.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian H
Dear Ian H,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at 1888 Hotel with us.

The team and I are excited to read that you have enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our hospitality.
Our aim is to look after you and make your stay easy, comfortable and unique.

Have you booked your next trip yet? We can't wait to welcome you again!

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed here for an event at the Sydney Convention Centre. Very convenient location, great range of rooms, excellent healthy breakfast menu and nice and fresh. The staff were great and extremely helpful including grabbing me a cold glass of water on an emergency mission to the hotel from the conference on a 37degree day.
Fast, efficient, clean and a great find! Really hope the word does not spread to far and it be impossible to get a room!

Room Tip: I would recommend the loft room for those who may have visitors to your room, seperate bedroom is a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Debbie H,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are very excited to read that you have enjoyed your stay and we proud ourselves on the level of service we provide: personal and attentive.

Too late: the word is out there and we are the hottest property in Sydney right now!
But get in touch with us and we will always found a room for you.

When are you visiting us again?

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I travel a lot and our aim is always value for money. I think 1888 delivers. We stayed in a King room and it was stunning. Love the decor, the bathroom accessories (sulfate and paraben free products), the mini bar options (organic and healthy options), the proximity to everything, the incredibly comfy bed, the super friendly staff and service, and the atmosphere. We could not fault anything. The rooms are not large, but when you don't have kids with you, who cares! We caught the light train from Central station so we did not have to pay the parking fees across the road and you only have to walk directly through the car park to get to the hotel from the light train station. Everything is within walking distance if you don't want to do public transport. Great location. Amazing stay. Thanks 1888!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CozzaWozza,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are thrilled to read that you truly enjoyed your experience.
You can't wait to return and we can't wait to welcome you again soon.

Have you booked your next stay yet? The team and I can't wait to look after you again.

Kyneton, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed in the Box room for 2 nights and it is just that - a small room. But perfect for one person not intending on spending a lot of time in the room. Very quite and easy to get to. Room very clean. Free wifi great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Jenny D,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are happy to read that you have enjoyed you stay and can't wait to welcome you again soon.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Checkin was a breeze and the staff were really laid back and friendly! They were SO helpful with directions and it was just a few steps away from Darling Harbour! Fantastic.
When we checked out after fishing for the day and feeling pretty gross, they offered us showers which was such a nice touch.

I will be staying again for sure. Cannot fault the hotel and it didnt have the boringness of your usual hotel chain. Ideal location and the staff were fantastic.

Room Tip: We had the basic room and was really happy with it, trees outside so not a view of a concrete jungle...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Kiloalphatango,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

We are happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and managed to take advantage of our shower facilities after check out.

Have you planned your next trip to Sydney yet? The team and I can't wait to welcome you again soon.

Cambridge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I was very impressed on arrival by the efficiency of the check-in and the professionalism of the staff. Someone even offered to help me with getting my luggage up to the room, which was a nice touch.

The room itself was beautifully appointed, with a massive bathroom and exceedingly comfortable bedding. The hotel served as a base for my friend and I to spend a night out in the city, and on our return at around 2am I found the shower to be as impressive as it appeared.

From here however, things went downhill fast. As others before us have reported, at 9am on Sunday morning we were rudely awoken by the shrill klaxons of a fire alarm. After it stopped, my friend decided to jump in the shower, shortly after which another emergency alarm started going off. It was at this point that the hot water got cut off, and my friend had to wash her hair in ice cold water!

This was followed up by other small disappointments: when our breakfast was delivered to our room, the dishes from the day before were not collected. We had ordered tea, but no milk was brought with the tea and we had to ring down for that (although it was brought up very promptly when requested). We specifically asked for there not to be ice in our juice, and both glasses of orange juice were full of ice. In addition, our breakfast was absolutely covered in cracked pepper!!! Not everyone is a fan (my friend and I being two such people) and it would be far better for the kitchen to send up a pepper mill and give us the option (or simply ask when the order is being placed). Finally when I mentioned the fact that I had read reviews on TripAdvisor complaining about the alarms, I was made to feel like a fibber (the implication being that this was an isolated incident) which I didn't really appreciate.

Having said all that, this hotel shows great promise, and is relatively new. The room was spotless, the shower (when functional) superb, and the bedding divine. I would certainly be prepared to give it another shot down the track, once they've had some time to work on the teething problems they seem to be having. One thing for people travelling on a budget to note is that they take a holding deposit of the full amount of the tarriff, plus $100 for incidentals, on arrival. They then charge you for the actual cost of your stay on departure, and the original holding deposit is 'released' - however this can take 3 to 5 days to clear depending on the bank. For anyone with budgetary concerns this might be something to watch out for!

Room Tip: Room 401 is a disabled access room and has a large bathroom, but is right next to a service area so...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear khoumery,

Thank you for sharing your experience and, as per our private correspondence earlier on, I would like to apologise for the inconvenience cause by the fire alarm going off on Sunday morning.

I can imagine it wasn't pleasant and I wish I had a way to have prevented that from happening. One of our guests took a very hot shower and the excess of steam set off the fire detector.
I would like to address that despite another review on Tripadvisor, we are not faced with a recurring issue. Our fire alarm is tested on a weekly basis and it is beyond our control if certain situations occur from time to time. As a manager I do agree that this is annoying but safety is our number one priority hence I am happy that the system detects any anomalies.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you have experienced with the breakfast service and housekeeping service. I have shared your comments with our F&B supervisor and housekeeping manager and they will insure that more training is organised.
We are working on improving the service standards and we are being challenged with few teething issues since we've only opened just over few weeks ago: I am confident to say that we will definitely improve more areas soon.

The amounts that you see cited as AUTHORISATION are the amounts we preauthorised at check in time to cover for the accommodation charges. Your financial institution freeze those amounts and those amounts are not debit to your account. Upon check out any outstanding amounts are settled and the extra amounts are released back to your account within 5/7 working day by your financial institution.
It is a common practice in hotels to authorise a small amount at check in time. Here in Sydney other big names (Sheraton, Hilton, Park Hyatt, Marriott, etc.) have a similar approach and I have previously worked in hotels in Italy and the UK and we did have a similar system and by all means we intend to upset or annoy our guests
I would like to point out that a pre authorisation on your card is not a charge but it is a form of credit towards you if you wish to use any extras such as the minibar or the restaurant.

I do appreciate you considering to stay with us and I would like to invite you back at 1888 Hotel and show you that what you have experienced was an unfortunate incident and not the standard.