“"Style with comfort"”

Ranked #3 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney
“"Style with comfort"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had a fantastic time on my second visit to the hotel. The design of it looks outstanding and the service fantastic, specially the breakfast with different type of breads and cheeses. Coffee is a must, well done to the barista.
I stayed in the room 421, top floor, up the stairs. If you are travelling with lots of bags, I do not recommend as you need to carry your own bags up the stairs. Despite that, the room looks amazing and it has a small balcony around, no spa bath. King “comfort” bed and complementary ipad in the room.
Good stay, well done.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fernas
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Fernas,

Thank you for taking the time to review your second stay with us.

We are extremely happy you have enjoyed you stay. We love our breakfast and our coffee here and can't wait to extend into dinner and brunch soon.

We are always to help our guests with their luggage and make sure that they feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible.

Have you booked your next stay yet? Please make sure you don't wait too long to come back.

The 1888 Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Staying at the new 1888 Hotel - which, at time of writing, had been opened only two months - very much exceeded my expectations. In essence, this hotel - part of the impressive 8Hotels portfolio - is an arhictect and interior designer's dream. The finishing touches everywhere make it a fun, funky place, yet stylish and streamlined enough to stay here for work conferences and short business stays (even the meeting room for small conferences is cool).

The big and little things made the 1888 Hotel a memorable stay: the iPad in every room, only Australian products stocked in the mini-bar (many organic), the bath loofah and bath products, stylish armchairs and exposed beams and smart TVs - it's all here.

What I also love is the location - a short (5 minute) walk to the heart of Pyrmont and the newly refurbished The Star (Sydney's casino). This means many eateries and leisure facilities are right on your doorstep.

I love that you are in the CBD, but on the outskirts enough that you're not in the thick of the madness. Also, there is a carpark across the road from the hotel - very convenient.

And the staff: all exceptional, friendly people. All are happy and proud to work there, and it shows. The staff is one of 1888 Hotel' greatest asset.

The foyer area is beautiful, and the cafe that resides there is fantastic: the ambience is cool and a fab place to not only have breakast, but also enjoy cocktails the night before. The food is fantastic, and the service, excellent.

Overall, I cannot fault 1888 Hotel - it is flawless, friendly, and a fabulous spot for any kind of stay in Sydney. I'd gladly stay here again. It's perfection.

Room Tip: Rooms on either side of Pyrmont are equally good. Every room is different and perfect.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Josie G
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Josie G,

Let me think on what to say... What an amazing review? Not enough. What an incredible review? Still not enough. Wow: what an extraordinary review!

The team and I are over the moon and you should be here with us to see the amazing smile you put on everyone's face.

We are extremely happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and sharing your feedback is the biggest reward.

I really hope that you have already booked your next stay at 1888 Hotel and if you haven't, please don't wait too long as we can't wait to welcome you and spoil you again.

Warmest regards,

The Extraordinary 1888 Hotel Team
Cagliari, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

1888 Hotel is indeed a beautiful hotel, a great mix of industrial taste and coziness, with a delicate touch of different colors and furniture.
From the soap to the orange juice you feel that a deliberate choice of quality has been made, because are really the details that makes the difference.
All the staff personnel have been very professional and super friendly and proactive in every occasion and in all the times of the day and night.
Just a perfect experience
Enrico and Adriana

Dear Enrico B,

Thank you to both you and Adriana for the wonderful review of your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I are delighted to read that you have found a great mix of flavours and enjoyed our genuine and personalised service.
We love to look into details and make every experience unique.

We can't wait to welcome you again soon.

Ciao e grazie,

The 1888 Hotel Hotel
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

The 1888 hotel looks great; vintage industrial chic with bare brick walls and minimalist furnishing. The choice of facilities is interesting with an iPad; full bars of soap and coffee bags. The bed was comfortable and the sound insulation was reasonable given that the hotel is sandwiched between flyovers.

However, I was woken early in the morning by a fire alarm with a bell and an instruction to await further instructions. I leapt out of bed and got dressed in yesterday's clothes. When the alarm was turned off, I got back into bed. About 15 minutes later, we had Whoop Whoop Emergency Emergency... Another leap out of bed. This time, it was followed a few minutes later by a loudspeaker announcement that it had been a false alarm. I decided to have a shower while the going was good, but even after 10 minutes of running there was no sign of any hot water. I am sure the front desk would have been apologetic if I had called them but, frankly, life is sometimes too short to wait for someone to sort things out. A hotel that charges the rates of 1888 hotel should get these things right without having to be asked.

I notice from other reviews that the fire alarms and showers have been problematic before. This is really not good enough and ought to be sorted out before the hotel takes money off further guests.

2 Thank Quelian
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Quelian,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

Firstly, thank you for your positive comments about the design and the comfort.

I am terribly sorry about the fire alarm going off so early on a Thursday morning, I can imagine it wasn't pleasant and I wish I had a way to have prevented that from happening. One of our guests decided to use of bread toaster to warm up a croissant and, as you can imagine, the excess of smoke set off the fire detector. Apologies for the hot water not running and I hope this would have been rectified shortly. As precaution measure, the gas and all other systems linked to it shut off. This is to prevent other issues.
We do reset our systems immediately once we establish that it is safe to do so and it takes several minutes before the hot water start running again.

My staff are available 24 hours should there be any questions or matters at hand and they are more than happy to assist you with any problems and little fuss as quick as possible to ensure you have a most enjoyable stay and offer you any assistance, especially on situations like this one.

We are working on improving the service standards and we are being challenged with few teething issues since we've only opened just over few weeks ago: I am confident to say that we will definitely improve more areas soon but I would like to reassure that safety is our number one priority.

Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at info@1888hotel.com.au and I will be happy to share the steps we always follow in order to guarantee a safe and comfortable stay.

Bussum, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Hotel 1888 is a fantastic boutique hotel with a great team of skilled staff knowing every interesting spot and restaurant in Sydney! Rooms are pretty and comfortable, location of the hotel is the fantastict!!

Room Tip: The King Bedroom is absolutely Great! Not too big but nice and comfy!
Dear MillianMax,

Thank you for your great review of your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I are so happy to read that you loved your stay with us and we are excited about your feedback.

Have you booked your next stay yet? We can't wait to welcome you again soon.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Our function was at the Star casino so the 10 minute walk back to 188 was convenient & a bit cheaper than other hotels around. But we forgot to add the cost of parking which made it more expensive that other hotels that included parking. But outside of our error, it is a nice boutique hotel, the rooms are small, but as long as you don't plan to stay inside they are ample. Our room did not not outside window but one overlooking the reception/bar area so you couldn't tell what the outside weather was like. They add unique items like an iPad that would have contained all hotel details etc , but ours didn't work so it was pointless

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SimonSandra N,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I are happy to read that you had a good experience with us.
You are right about the location: it's unbeatable for a new property, right close to Darling Harbour and the CBD and some of the great attractions in Sydney.

We are blessed with the variety of room types: from Shoeboxes to our wonderful Attic Suite. I would invite you to consider a different room type next you'll visit us to appreciate a larger room.

We are looking at updating the iPad software and we are planning to offer a more interactive experience for all or guests.

We are sure that next time you visit us all these teething issues will be solved.

We can't wait to welcome you again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed in the Williamson room which was probably the best hotel room I've stayed in when visiting the city, the boys I stayed with were all impressed when I opened the door and let them in for the first time. Parking was very convenient and the location was decent; was a bit of a walk to cockle bay wharf where we boarded a cruise for the night but the room made up for that and so did the staff. When we returned to the hotel after the night out we were greeted by Michael at the front desk who asked us how our night was and offered us extra towels and blankets which was helpful. Overall the boys and I enjoyed our stay and will be back next time we stay in the city.

• Stayed August 2013
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Brendo12,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at 1888 Hotel.

The team and I are excited to read that you have taken full advantage of our amazing Williamson Suite a.k.a. 007 Suite. Service is everything to us and we pride ourselves for spoiling our guests.

Have you booked your next stay yet? Please don't wait too long as we can't wait to amaze you again.