“A great surprise”

Ranked #28 of 6,102 Restaurants in Sydney
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: The Rocks
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I had heard that this cafe has the best coffee around, but I wasn't expecting the service and meal to be just as good. The coffee and meal were produced promptly and the tastes were exquisite. The friendliness of the staff made the experience that much better. Don't leave The Rocks without trying this cafe.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Their cauliflower and blue cheese soup today is smooth as silk, and the blue cheese making it something special.

If you are looking for the perfect lunch to warm you up, everything is good here. However, I can't go past their soups - they are different every day - and every day they get better. I work in the area so sometimes I have their soup every day of the week!

I'll almost be looking forward to next winter!

Oh, they are pretty friendly there, too!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

A fantastic little Café at The Rocks. We very much enjoyed the breakfast, very fresh tasting excellent eggs. Coffee was also great. A very good menu, great variety for breakfast and lunch. Good value for money, great food.

1  Thank bob p
Reviewed June 1, 2014

........so we had breakfast here most days we were in Sydney - good food, simply cooked and served with a smile. It was obvious that it is very popular with the locals who pop in and enjoy friendly banter with the staff. Always a good sign in our view. We also enjoyed great coffee - and they even offered extra teabags for our tea when they noticed we are Brits. Recommended!

Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and had booked to stay at The Holiday Inn Old Sydney on a room only basis and I didn't want to pay the fairly high hotel price for breakfast. I found the details for the Playfair Cafe on tripadvisor, noting that it was located in the street directly behind the hotel. I was attracted by the good reviews and we were not disappointed. After the first morning we returned everyday for breakfast and sandwiches on the day we left the city. There is a good variety of breakfasts, which range from an egg and bacon roll to varied plates which were well presented, reasonably priced and delicious. My wife said that the coffee was the best she had had in Sydney. The proprietor, George is a a very friendly and generous man who clearly values his customers. Don't expect grand premises - this is a street cafe with only around 12 seats - but everything is spotlessly clean,the food is great and so is the service.

3  Thank DavidL70