“The best dining experience and staff”
Review of est.

est.
Reserve with
est. is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 5,856 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Set within a beautiful heritage dining room with soaring white columns and luxurious accoutrements, est. delivers dining on a grand scale. Executive head chef Peter Doyle is renowned for his trademark contemporary Australian food, which is uncluttered, seasonally driven and executed with French-influenced precision. Supporting Peter is Jacob Davey, whom was hand picked for the distinguished est. team after winning the Young Australian Chef of the Year at the Electrolux Appetite for Excellence Award in 2013. Add award winning service and an acclaimed wine list personally selected by Franck Moreau MS, and you just know est. is going to be a dining experience not to be missed and long remembered.
South Australia
“The best dining experience and staff”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. Until this we had rated Aria as the best. We went for my husbands 50th birthday and were allocated what they labelled the "captains table" we were made to feel very welcome and special.

The sommelier was superb, she had amazing knowledge and was not at all pretentious.

just watch out for the pre dinner champers, this could be an expensive drink if you don't ask.

We had the degustation menu with the wines and enjoyed every morsel, it was delivered at a perfect pace.

The food was sensational, presentation perfection, service wonderful. We would dine at Est again and would not hesitate in recommending the entire dining experience.

2 Thank Berry-SA

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
“Never disappoints - probably Sydney's best dining experience”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The crown of Merivale's numerous establishments all over Sydney, Est lives up to its hype, reputation in every way. This is my 3 rd dining experience here over the last 2 years and it ticks every box of an excellent dining experience. Fabulous grand dining area - high ceilings, perfect lighting, starched table cloths and very nice cutlery. The ambience sets the tone of a special experience to come. Service is stellar - professional yet with a personal touch. Just enough friendly banter, smiles, a reassuring wink (as one of our meals was a surprise birthday) to let me know all was taken care of. But the icing on the cake is of course the food. Peter Doyle's menu is faultless execution of the best of Australian produce (from the warm bread selection) to the innovative entrees, mains and desserts. Everything I have had in my 3 visits was excellent and I couldn't fault a thing. The serving sizes are not hearty - but then again, a fine dining experience isn't meant for you to be leaving overly stuffed or bloated. The wines were also fantastic and the sommelier does an excellent job of gauging your party's requirements (& corresponding budget very subtly) and all choices made were spot on.

Definitely pricey but worth it. It doesn't disappoint and delivers on all counts the promises of an excellent fine dining experience. My next special occasion will definitely be here. Kudos to the Merivale team - please keep it up!

• Visited February 2013
Echuca, Australia
“WOW”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

what an amazing experience. That's right it is not just a restaurant but a dining experience. The only thing that is wrong with est is that I cannot enjoy it enough. The food, the service, the atmosphere everything is perfect.

Melbourne, Australia
“Stunning Decor - Gorgeous Food”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had the Chefs 4 course menu, 2 entrée, main and desert. Food was fabulous, pate, quail breast, venison and the amazing passionfruit soufflé. Did not have the accompanying wines as a pre dinner drink and one bottle was enough for us. Wonderful service and elegant windows overlooking the night lights on the first floor.

London, United Kingdom
“Is EST the Best ?!!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I decided to try the EST experience yesterday as I have heard a lot about it and also had a personal recommendation from a good friend.

I arrived just before 6pm and the entire serving staff turned and looked at me as one, very reminiscent of the Midwich Cuckoos (Village of the Damned). I was packed off to Hemisphere bar for 6 minutes until they opened.

I returned I saw that the restaurant was large and attractively decorated and very comfortable. The food was pretty good throughout. The portions were universally small but attractively prepared. I thought the Moreton Bay Bug was really delicious, gently cooked  so that it was moist and sweet and not at all rubbery. I followed this with the quail which, apart from the leg was a little bland and I didn't feel that it was as carefully cooked as the bug as it was a little overcooked. The leg was very tasty.

I followed this with the ox cheek which was nice but actually not outstanding and could have been improved with a more interesting sauce. I think that the chefs in Australia take pains to lighten the food and sauces in response to the climate. It's a little odd then to serve a heavy, rich meat which is perfect for cold old Blighty with a good rich sauce. So a couple of bites of ox cheek with a light sauce and shaved cucumber doesn't really stand up to me and the fact that it was a main dish makes it even more puzzling.

My pudding was a little disappointing, I had Tagen Plum Bavarois with a coffee concoction and buttermilk sorbet. The coffee dominated the pudding and was a little bitter to my taste. My partner chose the cheese board because of hunger following the small portions. I had made the most of bread and then mashed potato with the ox cheek.

The sommelier and wine list were excellent, in particular I had a Shiraz that I could not have come across in the UK, the grower makes only 1500 bottles of wine per year and this was exceptional. My final wine choice was 25 year old Rutherglen Liqueur Muscat which is also, it seems, not exported to the UK. This was heavenly and as rich and orangey peeley delicious as you could wish and so much better than the pudding it was ordered to  accompany.

The waiting staff were efficient, friendly and well prepped by the chef regarding the food. I had a highly enjoyable evening and despite the ubiquitous cucumber, which seemed to be cropping up shaved or as spaghetti etc in every dish, I did enjoy the evening and didn't feel robbed when the eye watering bill arrived.

I am looking forward to the next food revolution when the immutable law that high end dining meals only come in 'small' only is challenged. On that glorious day I shall sneer at my moist little hunk of bread and wipe a grateful tear from an appreciative eye and lift my cutlery in salute.

The restaurant was at about a third full by the time I left and despite the large size of the room was pretty noisy. Eating out in Sydney seems to be a decidedly noisier affair than London.

2 Thank Hourifoodie