“Brilliant”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Everyone should experience Movida at least once in their life. Outstanding Tapas. Fabulous staff, enjoyed Ned and Jane's company for instructions and recommendations during the evening. Started with the Anchoa and Gambas Especiale and realised we were in Spanish heaven. The Anchoa was served on a thin wafer and topped with this amazing Tomato sorbet. So good we ordered more later. Cigarillo de Queso was superb followed by the plate of Pardon Peppers, my mouth is still watering. I could go on but I think you get my drift. Book now, I'm going back.

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We sat at the bar and enjoyed a very pleasant dining experience. We had been in Spain last year for our honeymoon and it was fantastic to experience again some of those amazing flavours again. Delicious, completely seasonal and staff were very helpful in aiding us choose a complete menu. Very pleased that Frank and the Movida team have set up shop in Sydney.
A colleague went a few months later with a large group, which they will accommodate with a booking with credit card details, which in totally understandable. She also had a great evening and also was surprised, like I was, at how reasonable the bill was, considering the highest quality food and wine.
The top shelf jerez to finish my meal, and Movida evening, left me dreaming and basking in my memories of moorish gardens, gaudi wonder and catalonian streets in spring.

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Went to Movida Sydney for my birthday dinner.

Top notch service, great range of food, and not you're average patatas bravas and chorizo type Spanish dishes.

Great range, tasty, not too badly priced and staff really know their stuff.

Will definitely be returning!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

A chef friend of ours had always raved about MoVida in Melbourne, so we thought we should take the opportunity to go when we were in Sydney a couple of weeks ago. We'd tried to book Friday night dinner three weeks out from when we wanted to go, but they were already fully booked! So we booked for lunch instead, which was fine.

Service was excellent - prompt, friendly and professional. Decor was nothing too special - and the outlook is onto a rather boring Surry Hills street. We were seated on high seats at a bar type table, which was fine for lunch, though it might have been a bit uncomfortable if we were there all evening for dinner. I did notice larger groups got more comfortable booths though.

However, we were mostly there for the food - which did live up to the hype.. Favourites were probably the mini goats cheese and quince paste "cigars", and the air cured tuna with watermelon, beetroot and almonds - amazing flavours and beautiful presentation. Also tried the zucchini stuffed with crab and topped with salmon caviar, mini patatas bravas, courgette escabeche with curd, lemon and mint, and the lamb rump with white beans and salsa verde - all very good. The wine list was interesting, we had some lovely Spanish whites - but they were reasonably pricey. We would have loved to have fitted in dessert as well, but we were just too full!

I think the bill came to about AU$130 for the food listed above and three glasses of wine. Not cheap for a lunch, but we ate plenty and it was definitely worth it. Would go back next time we're in Sydney.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The perfect Sydney lunch spot - 5 minutes walk from Central Station, you can make a reservation
and the food is tapas style. Delicious little plates of really unusual combinations e.g. rabbit meat balls which sound unattractive, but were delicious. Service was quick and friendly but not uncomfortably so. We didn't score a sit down table but the stools (even for a group of four 70 year olds) were not uncomfortable. We would all go there again - although the price might prevent frequent visits!