“Yum - must try it!”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Darlinghurst
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

On a rainy Friday night we were warmly welcomed into the Oxford Social.

Service was 5 star and cocktail and drink list reasonably priced with many wines by the glass.

We started with scallops and the arancini balls. Considering 2 of the balls had blue cheese in them and neither of us ever eat blue cheese, we were surprised at how delicious these were! Scallops were cooked to absolute perfection and the purée served with them devine!

Mains were equally as good (and big serves they were). We tried the beef fillet and the pork belly. After these big meals we were unfortunately too full to try any of the desserts!

Easy to find on oxford street and a must when visiting sydney!

There are newer reviews for Oxford Social

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I don't know how the Trip Advisor ratings are calculated, but when you see a rating of #2 in foodie rich Sydney, the temptation to go there is strong. Can it be that good and that reasonable. Should I believe those few review that say it is average or disappointing. # 2 of 4,000+? Why not try it?

So we gave it a test. We went there when we were cranky, tired and at an off time. We made an online reservation for a Thursday at 5:30pm when we had started our air journey from Portland at 2:30pm on Tuesday. Allowing for the day lost due to air travel from PDX-LAX-SYDNEY, a full day staying outdoors to absorb as much sunshine as possible and nonetheless feeling tired, we walked to this slightly out of the way street, looked hard and found the small entry to Oxford Social. We were the only customers, a fact easily explained by the early hour. We tried the entrees, the lamb and barramundi mains, and shared a bottle of reasonably priced wine. Our conclusion? Yes it deserves all the compliments it gets. It is a welcoming space, the service is unobtrusive and prompt, the ingredients are fresh, local, and tasty, and the preparation exemplary. It is not haute cuisine, quirky or trendy. I don't know if it is number 2 in Sydney (and I trust Trip Advisor, they are consistent and reliable), but I wish we had one of these in Portland.

2  Thank Billmart
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Booked this place via TA whilst in Birmingham before we came out and we weren't disappointed! The decor nice & not over the top and the greeting was warm and friendly (we were 30 mins late, my fault!) Drinks were fine, we also shared a lovely bottle of Malbec.The little lady had bruschetta & I had pancini (?) balls which were both superb, we also had a complimentary taster of pureed mushroom- very nice! I had the steak & the other half had the Veal which were again superb! We would definitely recommend the Oxford Social, great food, great service and at a reasonable price. Thank you!

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was amazing! From the food, to the service, to the ambience. The prices are also pretty reasonable! Definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Definitly the best restaurant in Sydney! We had a perfect dinner with my wife and a friend of us. Grilled scallops were awesome and meat was perfectly cooked. The waiter is friendly, professional and of good advice. I'm a wine lover (and french) so trust me when I say the "Rouge Homme" is a very good wine with a nice price. We'll come back asap. And you and your wallet will love that place!!! Congrats to all the wonderful team! See you soon!