“Terrible customer service, room ok, car park was a nightmare”
Review of Abey Hotel

Abey Hotel
Ranked #112 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Southport, Australia
“Terrible customer service, room ok, car park was a nightmare”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night purely based on it's location which was handy for Sydney city.

On arrival Gary at front of house was probably the most rude receptionist I have ever encountered. He was unhelpful, sarcastic and rude to both me, my partner, and another group of girls checking in at the same time. Checking out was also a nightmare and after asking to pay cash for parking the receptionist continued to put it on my credit card without me knowing until it was too late.

Whatever you do, don't drive and park here - the car park was potentially one of the most stressful events of my life and is the tightness and most ridiculous car park I ever been in!! Also, you have to pay which was not stated in the parking info when we booked.

All in all the room was pretty good. Up to date, clean and comfortable. Once we walked in we thought what a cool set up having the indoor pool and spa situated in the middle of all the units. Not good at 8 in the morning when you are awoken by screaming kids after a big night out. The walls in the unit were also paper thin - could hear people next door and other unit's showers in use.

I would not return mostly because of the rude experience we had - especially considering they pride themselves on "customer service" as is sprawled across the wall in the lobby. In addition to that, it wasn't the best value but in their defence accommodation in Sydney isn't exactly cheap.

And Gary if you read this - please put a smile on your dial or seek some other employment because clearly you should not be working in customer service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank lizzielemon13
StevenGargano, Assistant General Manager at Abey Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Lizzielemon13,

Thank you very much sharing your experience with us and I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay.
We are always striving to achieve excellence in guest satisfaction and it appears we may not have on this occasion.
It is clearly not our intention to appear as providing a bad customer service. The Hotel does put customer service as a number one priority.
I do hope that you will take the incident as a one off.
Again thank you for your feedback and have a great day.
Kind regards,
Sub Pradhan
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

You do get what you pay for here. The rooms in the Abey are a bit dated furniture wise but the beds are clean and comfortable. The staff were very attentive although my friend arrived before me and as the room was booked in my name they would not let her in without a HUGE hassle. There is a lot of noise throughout the night, doors banging, voices and water running through pipes so if you are a light sleeper this is not the place for you. The hotel is conveniently located if you don't mind walking a few blocks to nearby stations and there are lots of nice cafes and restaurants nearby particularly on Crown Street. The biggest drawback is the on site parking underneath. Very tricky windy road that goes down and down and down with next to no turning space. Having to pay per night for parking sort of defeats the purpose of hunting around for a good nightly rate in my opinion. If you don't have to consider the parking and you are after a good clean bed for the night that gives you easy access to the city this is okay for the price. O and they do give passes to a nearby gym ( about four blocks away) but they neglected to tell me on a Sunday morning when I collected one and walked the four blocks that the gym would not be open. I had a nice walk there and back though!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank CasB57
Dear CasB57,
Thank you very much choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience.
We are truly appreciative of your feedback and with any guest feedback.
With guest feedback we know what we are doing right and where we can improve to achieve our excellence in guest satisfaction.
I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the near future.

Sub Pradhan
Assistant General Manager
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Room is pokey and hot as air con unit is just an air recycler and dark as overshadowed from apartments over the road mind u if yr a peeping tom u will enjoy watching the girl walk around topless on a morning lol! We ended up staying here due to false selling by our travel agents in the brochure it said Cambridge Hotel Superior rooms when we got there we found theyd booked us in the express room which is technically the Abey Hotel and is 2 floor extension to Cambridge hotel which is like a motel and doesnt have any balconies, the only plus point is the swimming pool is warm and usually empty, only 1 lift to serve the 2 floor building which u will stand there forever at check out time and whatever u do dont use the stairs as its the fire escape once u go through the door theres no way of getting back in and u will be greated with cockroaches and collapsed ceilings.

Room Tip: Dont book the express room at Cambridge hotel as you will get the Abey hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
AbeySydney, General Manager at Abey Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Clairea1978,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Abey Hotel and for sharing your review with us.
I regret to hear that your stay at the Abey Hotel did not live up to your expectations.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we have taken all your comments on board. This has been brought up at our manager meeting, and we would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back, and reinstate the hotel back to your good favour.
Warm regards,
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Abey Hotel with 3 friends for the Mardi Gras weekend -- great location!!
We had a twin double room & it was a decent size. The bathroom was neat & tidy & had everything we needed.
There's a spa & heated pool on the 2nd level which is nice to relax in -- it creates a real echo through the hotel though!! If you want a super quiet hotel experience, Abey isn't for you. But we didn't mind too much at all -- we enjoyed our stay.
And Lorraine at reception was so lovely!!!!! :)

• Stayed March 2013
AbeySydney, General Manager at Abey Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear MissKris1709,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Abey Hotel, and thank you for sharing your review with us on Tripadvisor.

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed you stay with us and that the location and hotel were to your satisfaction. I am so pleased to hear that the friendly staff made a positive impression on you, and Lorraine was very happy to receive your recommendation.

Once again, thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Abey Hotel again soon.

Robina, Australia
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I found this hotel online at the last moment when our initial accomodation fell through for a weekend visit to Sydney....... All i can say is that everything happens for a reason...
This hotel is quaint and awesome. Located only 2 blocks away from Oxford street we didnt even really have a need for the car we had hired. The staff were welcoming and friendly. The room was spacious and clean and well kept. The pool was right outside our door which made for a pleasurable dip both mornings.
I can highly recomend this hotel for any stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Leigh M
Dear Leigh M,
Thank you much for your recent stay at the Abey Hotel and thank you very much for taking your time to share your great feedback with us.
I am delighted to hear that the hotel lived up to your expectations in many ways and that you would recommend the Abey Hotel. Your feedback is highly appreciated.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, the location, and the friendly staff, it is also pleasing to hear that the facilities, spaciousness and cleanliness lived up to your expectations.
Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Abey Hotel again in the near future.
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was really our only "affordable" option for New Years in Sydney. The hotel was fair, felt like a dorm room to me. We traveled as a family of 5 so we had to get two separate rooms. The idea of a pool-view room sounded good at first, but I would say request the tower rooms instead, as the strong smell of chlorine permeated through the walls and you could hear guests splashing around early in the morning. The elevator situation was horrible as there were no stairs even from floors 1 through 3. The staff did their best to be accommodating, but the facilities were just not that special to begin with. The bathroom was not very clean and the shower curtains were just downright disgusting. I had the feeling that the carpets had not been cleaned in ages. Don't fall for the breakfast deal as it was abysmal. You might as well head to a coffee shop on Oxford Street for a much better spread. We were able to use left luggage facilities while we toured Australia and that worked out well. Our return stay did have snag as we checked in at 10pm on our return and our room was not ready. We had to wait for front desk staff to clean up the room himself as housekeeping had left for the day. They made up for the delay with free coffee vouchers and free wifi. We also put on the top floor which did afford us a lovely view of the city. The rest of my family did not fair as well as they had a 2nd floor pool-view room and had no windows in their very stuffy room. Like I said, this hotel was fair. Not sure if I want to stay here again or just stretch my budget a bit to get a more comfortable stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a tower room. Stay away from pool-view rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hashbrowny
AbeySydney, General Manager at Abey Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear hashbrowny,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Abey Hotel and thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
I am sorry to hear that your experience with us did not meet your expectations and that you reviewed the hotel as ‘fair’.
We take pride in our reputation with excellent customer service and we are therefore very disappointed that you experienced a series of unsatisfactory issues.
I am glad that the front desk staff did everything they could to accommodate you as best as possible, and I hope that this shows how seriously we take guest service. Unfortunately a mistake occurred on the day of your check-in where there was a miscommunication between our internal maintenance team and the external team and this caused the problem of not having the room ready upon check-in. We deeply apologise for this and hope that this experience will not prevent you from returning to the Hotel.
We are very thankful that you took a moment to share your experience with us as we value guest comments highly so we can continuously work on feedback and better ourselves.
We look forward to your return to the Cambridge Hotel.
Mount Isa, Australia
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed 3 days with my family for sydney city tour on 4 beds room. The room has enough space for 3 adults and 3 month old baby.

When I went to hotel using airport shuttle, the driver actually did not know this hotel name, but he knew Cambridge hotel. It was lucky I knew the other hotel name which is same hotel, bit tricky.

We used Museum train station frequently, and it take about 10~15 min for walking.

The room was not very fantastic, but still reasonable with this price and location. Room service was not bad (Staffs were made room daily). If you want to refill the milk or coffee, need to ask on the reception(maybe my case only).

Room Tip: This hotel use 1-3 level of building and have a pool on level 2, so if you do not want noisy sound f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mas2100
AbeySydney, General Manager at Abey Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear mas2100,
Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, the spaciousness of the room and the location of the hotel. I am also pleased to hear that you found the hotel provided fair budget for a family room.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by the new hotel brand name Abey Hotel, and hope that this will not deter you from returning to stay with us again.
Once again, thank you very much for your feedback, we hope you had a wonderful festive season and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.
Warm regards,