“Good food”

Barrafina Tapas Bar
Reserve with
Barrafina Tapas Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,620 of 5,854 Restaurants in Sydney
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Perth
“Good food”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I enjoyed my lunch at Barrafina. The food was very good, reasonably priced, service was ok and the food presented well. You really can't ask for much from a restaurant. I was only disappointed that I only had a short lunch break and a finite stomach otherwise I would have stayed longer and eaten more.

• Visited June 2013

Australia
“Great food makes you forget everything else”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Barrafina is in an awkward part of the CBD, and its location on the corner of Bligh and Bent streets has been home to a revolving door of cafes over the years. Hopefully Barrafina will hang around for a bit longer to deliver lots more of its Spanish-inspired tapas goodness!
It's all hard surfaces and industrial minimalism on the inside. Frankly, it seems a bit thrown together and slightly dysfunctional for the staff (whatever is in the cupboard that the waitress has to climb up on the bench top to get several times a night really needs to be put somewhere a bit lower!). But it's comfortable enough, and there's a few outside tables if you don't mind sitting down to eat on a busy intersection.
The atmosphere is pretty jolly. There's a bar section separated from the restaurant by imagination only and its a bit of an echo chamber. It feels mean to not say nice things about the staff but I got the impression they would have been delighted if someone at our table spoke Spanish. There was a lot of pointing and a few repeats and even a couple of wrong orders - but I got the feeling they really were trying hard.
The food makes it worthwhile though. A great range of small, tapas and main sized meals as well as sides. The produce is fresh and delicious and whoever is doing the cooking really knows their business. The dishes came out quickly and they all looked and tasted spot on. Our table had a bit of everything - standouts being a soft-shelled crab slider (who knew!), the crispy fried chicken and an unctuous slow-cooked lamb shoulder. We slightly over-ordered so I'm not even sure if they have a dessert menu. We each shelled out just over $50 each for more delicious food than we could handle a a couple of bottles of wine. Not bad for downtown Sydney.
I imagine that there's a crowd at lunch time, but if you happen to be caught in the CBD at dinner time, I reckon this could be go-to treat. My only concern would be that whoever is in the kitchen is destined for better things.
Barrafina is making the most of it's location by offering breakfast, lunch and dinner. It takes bookings and apparently the Italian restaurant serving out of the bar next door comes under the Barrafina umbrella.
Don't go for the atmosphere or service, but be prepared to want to go back for the food. Yummy!

• Visited June 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Surprisingly good!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Went here on a voucher and we were very pleasantly surprised at how excellent the tapas were - not your "average" style tapas but excellent - servings were a good size, service was excellent. The calamari were superb and the pork belly a real treat. Will definitely be spending some time here again.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank maddie1964
London, United Kingdom
“Hit and miss”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Have dined here for lunch on previous occasions and thought food was tasty and good value. We tried dinner and unfortunately had not such a good experience. The restaurant does have a nice lively atmosphere and the bar area was quite full but there was space in the restaurant. Service was dubious due to the fact we found it difficult to communicate with our waitress and we felt we spent the evening having to ask for everything, almost to the point that it got embarassing and frustrating for us and the staff who at one point instructed us to have patience in such a way that we were quite taken aback. The food came quickly but I seemed to remember portion sizes being a bit more generous- 4 small prawns for $19 and scotch fillet at $39 that was surprisingly about 20% fat. We had about 5 dishes and shared desert and that was sufficient. Drinks are quite pricey and even though drinks were probably just under half our bill I didnt think for what we paid that we got good value for the quality and quantity of food. The company made it an enjoyable evening but don't think I would rush back for dinner, a quick snack with drinks at the bar or lunch if the service/quality gets back to its previous form.

• Visited May 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Food was good, service hit and miss”
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Went twice in April, first for dinner with my partner to try it before hosting a work lunch the following week. Dinner was on a Tuesday and a little quieter. Food was pretty good though the service a bit slow and average.
Proceeded with the work lunch and we had good food again though service was again mixed. Being tapas I asked the first waitress if they could do us a selection and she simply said "no" (respectfully I think her English is a work in progress, a sweet Dutch girl) then a colleague asked another waitress and she said they could... The food that came out was great but a huge abundance and with it not being cheap and a tapas it would have been better to have sample and then order more if it was required, I stopped eating just half way through and I consider myself to have a healthy appetite.
Still, food is really good, the soft crab sliders in particular are amazing.

• Visited April 2013