Tripadvisor

Ranked #356 of 7,237 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Rocks
Description: Charming. Stylish. Cheeky. The Morrison has arrived.Fraser Short and Sean Connolly invite you on a culinary and cocktail journey through heritage Sydney. Open lunch & Dinner 7 days a week and breakfast Monday - Friday. What was the old Brooklyn Hotel is now the beautifully refurbished Morrison Bar and Oyster Room.Dine with friends at communal tables in The Oyster Room, an informal affair where you can watch centre stage as Australia’s finest oysters are shucked-to-order. The Conservatory is The Morrison’s open air terrace which offers a private but stylish setting under the stars, cocktail in hand and a la carte menu to feast on. The bustling Parlour is the destination that allows you to unwind the working week surrounded by friends for a long and late as you like.The restaurant menu is grown up. Executive Chef Sean Connolly’s international experience shines, reflecting his signature style of seasonal produce, cooked on the bone and in the shell wherever possible.Feel at home among friends as we invite you to be captured in the unique experience of charm and style that is The Morrison.
Reviewed January 20, 2020 via mobile

My first attempt at visiting The Morrison was roughly 6 months ago. As I am an event organiser I had subscribed to their email list and one day I received an email saying they were offering $1 hot dogs. I was attending a football game with my fiancé after work one Friday night soon after and decided to stop in at The Morrison for the $1 hot dogs. They conveniently missed the part where you had to buy 3x hot dogs minimum. We didn’t come for a hot dog feast so we left feeling rather disappointed and I vowed to never return to The Morrison on the basis that I had felt cheated by the advertising I had seen and received. I walked past the $1 hot dogs sign many times after this and rolled my eyes at what I would call sneaky advertising.

In December 2020, I received an email from The Morrison mentioning a ‘Tram Party’ and I RSVP’d and made a bet that the trams wouldn’t be on time. After the tram opening day, I received another email with details about the Tram Party and I RSVP’d immediately. Generally when you receive an invitation to something and you RSVP with your details that means you’re going right? Apparently not to The Morrison. I just stayed back from work and my fiancé travelled an hour into the city for them to tell us at the door that we were meant to receive a confirmation from them after the RSVP and therefore we can’t attend! Can someone explain to me how anyone who has RSVP’d to that event is supposed to know that they aren’t allowed to attend? We never received an email saying we missed out on making the list....

The best part about all of this...the girl on the front door checking tickets! No guest list and no names, just a quick glance at a number on the ticket without referring to anything else! Very professional!

So congratulations to them! They convinced me to come back only for me to immediately regret it. I left feeling disappointed and also stupid for thinking it would be any different. I will never be returning to this venue due to poor communication on their part. I do not trust anything they are “selling” whether it’s a product an event or an idea. They will not trick me again because I won’t be entertaining it and I suggest others stay wary when it comes to communications from The Morrison

Date of visit: January 2020
VikiO31, Public Relations Manager at The Morrison Bar and Oyster Room, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2020

Hey,

Thanks so much for your review. I am really sorry that you feel let down. We appreciate your concern about our $1 dog promotion. This was written on our website but understand that this should have been more clearly communicated to avoid your disappointment at having to buy 3.

Due to the popularity of the tram party, with over 10,000 RSVPs we were forced to create admission times to squeeze as many people into the day as possible and allow more people to have free food & drinks. As you can hopefully understand it is against the law for us to allow more than our capacity into the venue. This was clearly communicated via email to all people who RSVP'd and everyone was given the opportunity to choose one of three admission times by getting a 'ticket' - we're sorry if you did not receive this message.

Please feel free to contact me to chat further and thanks again for your valuable feedback. viki@themorrison.com.au. Cheers, Team Morrison.

Write a reviewReviews (744)

Reviewed January 14, 2020

Great music, good menu for food, Cocktails good too. Busy bar. Walking distance from the Opera house.

Reviewed January 7, 2020

Would definitely return mussels and steak top class the service was great,drinks complimented the food.

Date of visit: January 2020
VikiO31, Public Relations Manager at The Morrison Bar and Oyster Room, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2020

Hey Kim, Thanks so much for joining us and for your 4 stars! Come again. Cheers, Team Morrison.

Reviewed January 5, 2020 via mobile

9:11 pm and kitchen closed :( Are here last week food was good people were good. My wife did not like a beer she got and they exchanged it for a different one so they are nice. Just old school people running it if they close kitchen that early :)

Date of visit: January 2020
VikiO31, Public Relations Manager at The Morrison Bar and Oyster Room, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2020

Hey, Thanks so much for joining us and for your honest and valuable feedback. We're really sorry that the kitchen was closed, this should not have been the case at this time and a limited food menu should have been available. We have addressed this with the kitchen team, to prevent this happening in the future. Cheers, Team Morrison.

Reviewed December 30, 2019 via mobile

This was our first evening meal in Sydney. We chose here after extensive internet research. We were sadly disappointed. I had the “Jurassic grilled asparagus”. Not sure what the Jurassic part was - it was a plate of normal sized asparagus with a fried egg on with a load of butter on it. My other half had the chicken lollipops which he disliked.

For main I had the sirloin on the bone. The steak was cooked really well, but 2 things sprung to mind. Firstly it came without anything, not even vegetables or a garnish. Which was disappointing given the price. Secondly it was presented with the meat already cut off the bone which in my view defeated the objective. I ordered a side of smoked mash. It tasted nice but was swimming in butter. My partner ordered the crab linguine. It had so much butter in it it was almost inedible.

On a positive note the service was good. The staff were friendly and attentive.

Date of visit: December 2019

Hey Rebecca, Thanks for joining us and for your honest and valuable feedback. Its great to heat that your service was good but we're really sorry to hear that your food wasn't up to scratch. We'd love to chat to you further to try and make it up to you. If you could please send viki@themorrison.com.au an email to chat further that would be hugely appreciated. Cheers, Team Morrison.