“Avoid at all cost” 1 of 5 bubbles

$463.06*
and up
Sydney Harbour Progressive Long Lunch Cruise
More attraction details
Owner description: Sydney Whale watching. Sydney's best value whale watching Sydney cruise. We are the only Sydney whale watching company that offers live commentary, whale watching experience, a Sydney Harbour cruise and a BBQ buffet lunch all included in the one great package. Prices range from $50 - $94. The cruise runs for 4 hours and is a family owned and operated business that has been running for 15 years. Whale watching can be an exciting experience and we believe everyone should try it at least once in their life.
Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Avoid at all cost”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had been looking forward to going whale watching for years, made the mistake of buying 2 vouchers from Cudo and booking wiith Oz Whale Watching. Being the end of season meant not getting to go when it suited me but rather when they had space. Told to be at the warf by 7.45am. for the breakfast cruise, they didn't turn up until 8 am and we didn't leave the dock until 8.15am. Breakfast was very basic. Headed out of the harbour straight into a strong southerly, people throwing up everywhere. This southerly was predicted days before, why we didn't head north into calm waters makes me think the crew were just looking for a way to make this 4 hour cruise into a 2 hour disaster. Had we headed north, we would have encounted the much calmer waters heading south later as the southerly winds died down. We didn't get to see any whales, but we were not offered a return trip as advertisd on Oz Whale Watching website. Infact, they hung up on me when I suggested that a return trip next seson should be offered. I was told that no return trip was given to people who had paid a discout price. When I said that it wasn't stated on their website, I was told that it wsn't not stated!!!!! Since we were only taken out for 2 hours instead of the 4 hours advertised, I think that qualifies for paying top dollar. The crew were absolutely pathetic, didn't even go to help the lady that fell and couldn't get up because of the rough swell. DO NOT BOOK A TRIP WITH THESE POPLE. Spend the time to review other companies and go with a reputable company, even if it means you pay a bit more.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank rebbie51

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“I'm a born and bread aussie from the northern beaches - HORRIBLE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I'm an aussie born, living on the northern beaches of Sydney, the surf lifestyle is what i live for. I went on this Oz Whale Watching as an anniversary present for the parent-in-laws - 6 of us went.

here is how our trip went:

1. we were provided a great lunch as soon as we hopped on the boat- pasta, chicken, salad, sausages, potatoes
2. 5mins later, not having digested, we were brought out into the ROUGH seas
3. needless to say 70% of the tourists onboard started throwing up lunch - no one could sit on the top outside deck because the sea currents (and captians driving) were so appaling.
4. there was no going back, we all had to endure the 3.5hrs of the tour
5. the elderly were lying all over the floor, kids were crying, kids were throwing up, the bins were filling up of vomit bags, its smelt of vomit, you heard everyone throwing up.
6. we saw one (1) little spurt from a whale that was 200m in the distance for 2mins before it went away. THATS IT. of course thier standard answer to no whales is : "you cant predict the whales in the wild" ..."sorry i couldnt make the wild whales perform today"
7. the boat was not at risk of going under, however it was not big or sturdy enough to combad the open ocean currents.

WHEN YOU HAVE OVER HALF THE BOAT THOWING THEIR GUTS UP I THINK IT IS AN IDEA TO AKNOWLEDGE THIS AND TURN THE BOAT AROUND!

as the boat came back onto the harbour...all i saw was everyone pushing to get off the boat, with their heads down, looking for a place to sit down and rest!

worst experience i have ever had - not to mention rough seas, the sickness on baord was never acknowledged by the captian nor crew. You could tell they thought it was "normal"

Visited October 2012
3 Thank missjayne88
132 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 278 helpful votes
“Worthwhile outing on Sydney Harbour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I went on the Oz Whale Watching tour from King Street Wharves, Sydney, on the Jerry Bailey, as I had never been on a whale-watching cruise before. You are guaranteed to see whales or you get a free return tour. I saw quite a few humpback whales during the four-hour cruise. What the tour can't guarantee, of course, is that you will definitely see whales or that the whales will demonstrate amazing manouvres such as breaching, on the day. But they might.

PROS

1. Efficient boarding procedures at King St wharf
2. Plenty of space onboard the boat
3. Tables and chairs both inside and out on deck
4. Lounge chairs inside the boat
5. Nice cruise when inside the harbour
6. Nice lunch served on board. I had a choice including a barbecue, soup, pasta, bread rolls, salad and coffee or tea
7. Licensed bar onboard
8. Usually see whales
9. Free return trip if you don't see whales on the day
10. Crew were professional

CONS

1. When outside the heads, the ocean can become rough which can induce sea-sickness.
2. For photographers, it can be difficult to video or photograph the whales as you need to predict when and where they will rise to the surface.

TIPS

a. Stay out on deck when outside the Heads and look at the horizon. If you stay inside talking while looking at the other person, you may suffer sea-sickness. If you do, the crew is well-prepared with sick bags. If you are prone to motion sickness, take some Travelcalm with you.

b. Even on a warm day it can get chilly outside the heads due to wind chill factor. Have a wind-proof jacket with you.

The tour is well worth it.

You can see the YouTube video of my trip at ...

Visited July 2012
4 Thank Roddlez
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Dried up BBQ food and not a whale to be seen. Bit of a gamble if you see anything. Could be alright otherwise.

3 Thank furb71