“Overpriced and unimpressed”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Taste of Arabia Middle Eastern Cuisine Tagines Shisha
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Initial service received from waiter was over familiar and over bearing. Tried too hard to impress and befriend us. Backfired... We were glad he didn't serve us again.

Food was a good quality. Good flavours but way over-priced. Typical of Darling Harbour. $30-35 for a Shish kebab on a bed of rice is not what I consider good value. Our party of 7 paid $570 for a shared entree, mains and 3 bottles of wine. There are many other restaurants in Sydney which offer better value for money.

There are newer reviews for Kazbah - Darling Harbour

Reviewed November 21, 2012

The location on Darling Harbour is great. The design is nice. A plus: they do have shisha pipes. All dishes we had were pretty average, the bread dry (usually Lebanese bread is great), the cous-cous dry. The prices are too high, even for Sydney. Owner and waiter were rather unwelcoming, the girl was nice. Will be remember as disappointing. Not recommended overall.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We went there 03/10/2012 and the food was not fantastic. We had 4 people and two had the lunch special which was steak, chips and salad. The steak was overcooked and it seemed that it had been pre-cooked and then warmed up again. The wine prices are extraordinary as a glass of chardonnay was $11.00. We won't be visiting again :(

Reviewed August 26, 2012

My experience at Kazbah wasn't great. We arrived to a fairly busy restaurant at 7:30 pm on a Saturday night and were seated at our table after a brief wait for the table to be set. Firstly, the one positive is that the restaurant looks awesome with authentic decorations and moody lighting, there was also a belly dancer doing the rounds during our visit which added nicely to the atmosphere. I also have to give the head waiter props for trying to keep us happy during our visit, sadly I could tell from his face that he knew how bad the night was going himself.

The wait time for food was the worst part about the night, we had to wait over an hour for our mains to come out and I thought I might die from thirst our drinks took that long to come out. All the wait staff looked absolutely rushed off their feet, a few extra staff might have made the place flow a bit better.

We ordered the chicken tajine and the pork belly shish kebab. The pork belly was the better of the two dishes by far, but was a pretty standard pork dish by traditional standards. The chicken tajine was very average and the couscous was atrocious, it was hard and lumpy, not fluffy at all like couscous should be.

I'd like to give this place a second chance, but I definitely won't be coming back to the Darling Harbour restaurant, maybe the Kazbah in Balmain is a better bet?

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I had brunch here with a very large group (20+) and was prepared for a lower level of service than if I'd visited with a small group. At first, I was pleasantly surprised with the attentive service for hot drinks (nice, mellow coffee) but things sadly went a bit downhill from there. Large share platters and bowls of food were brought out, all cold (and sadly, as a result) pretty unappealing. This could have perhaps been due to the very late arrival of a large number of the group, which I'm sure must have been difficult for the restaurant to deal with. But as they were not busy at all, I can't imagine why they would have made the food early and then let it go cold prior to bringing it out? I would say that our group probably was not very easy to deal with for the restaurant, so perhaps it's a bit unfair to provide such an average review, but my first visit was pretty disappointing.