“No more ramen, but still a good restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
San Francisco, California
“No more ramen, but still a good restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I came here after Howard C vouched for how amazing the ramen was.......and now it seems as though they are no longer serving ramen at Blancharu due to new management. Our group was beyond disappointed, but we decided to give the place a go anyways.

Glad we stayed, because I had a fantastic seafood chowder in a bread bowl. Yes folks a proper bread bowl. First time I've seen this in Australia and it was delicious. So much flavor in the chowder and so much seafood! I would go back just for the chowder.

Still disappointed that I never got to try the ramen, but glad I finally stopped by to try the food.

• Visited May 2013

2,760 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,796 helpful votes
“Still a great restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was our first visit since Haru had left and we were wondering what changes the new chef would bring. There are differences but the quality is extremely high, both creative and mainstream at the same time. The degustation is great value at $59 for 5 courses and the courses provide an amazing range of styles ,dishes and flavours.
The service is still not quite up to the food - sometimes slow, sometimes too fast, occasionally have to chase for the water.
Definitely of a high quality and better value than many of the hatted restaurants in Sydney.

• Visited July 2013
Sydney, Australia
“A good dining experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Overall a pleasant dinner - had the degustation meal (using a voucher which represented great value). The menu featured truffles in some courses. The mirrin infused egg yolk was a standout of our meal but perhaps a little too much going on as there were so many other components to the dish. The wagyu main course was nice but the beef was not as tender as it should have been. Overall, the dishes were a little too complicated and not all the combinations worked. We enjoyed our meal but with the range on offer in Sydney's dining scene, it is difficult to find find anything particular to rave about.

The decor and ambience is OK. Nothing too fancy. Service was friendly but lacked the 5star fine dining quality. Would I go back again - not so sure. I don't think it was a fine dining experience - the food and menu tried to make it so but somehow something was lacking. I would have liked to have given 3.5star rating as overall, it's a good restaurant but the categories only have average & very good......

• Visited June 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Fine Dining with a difference”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

It was a reunion of some sort with a friend suggesting we try the establishmnent, newly managed by Chef Yomo, a former work colleague of The Observatory. We chose the 5-course degustation at a very affordable $59 per person. A tantalising mix of flavours for a first-timer - me. The mirin infused egg yolk was beautiful and creamy with the light polenta, but the parmesan foam did not rock my world. (Is foam the new taste trend?) But the Wagygu Flank absolutely did it for me. A melt in the mouth moment. The dessert was a delightful apple tart with fig and strawberries and home made milk ice cream. Despite the small-ish portions, it was quite filling by dessert time.
Loved the atmosphere where it was not too starchy of typical fine dining type establishments. It offers an opportunity for those who wish to enjoy Chef Yomo's creations in a casual environment. Service was quick and great how the wait staff asked if we were ready for the next course. I did not feel hurried. Chef Masahi Yomoda is a recipient of hat awards, including being awarded a one hat chef in 2012. Definitely worth a visit. Parking is convenient with the Sydney City Council covered car park about 20 metres away. Bookings essential.

• Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice dinning restaurant with very good customer service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I went to this restaurant with my family everybody enjoyed the food,the chef gave my son ice cream to calm my son down to stay in chair. Like many fine dinning restaurant,the portion is too small,however the taste is absolutely fantastic!!! I really recommend for people who want to give a try a new sensation French food with Japanese taste.

• Visited June 2013