Red Lantern on Riley
Ranked #68 of 5,891 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Darlinghurst
Description: Set within a designer space reminiscent of French Colonial Vietnam, Red Lantern on Riley mixes the nostalgia of Indochine with the personal quirkiness of the Nguyen family. The restaurant is owned and operated by chefs Luke Nguyen and Mark Jensen, and Luke's sister Pauline Nguyen. With a focus on shared dishes, an evening at Red Lantern on Riley is an experience best enjoyed with friends and family.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have heard so much about this place and was pleased that my daughter chose it for her birthday dinner. I was not disappointed. We had a table of 14 and chose the tasting plate with dessert and loved everything the food was absolutely faultless.The amazing staff service the best I have seen anywhere. They were so attentive. water glasses were never left empty, whenever we left the table the napkins were folded upon our return now where do you find that sort of service?
I can't wait to come back for my birthday dinner. Highly recommend this place. What an experience!

• Visited June 2013

wagga
“positive experience”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Had a good time at red lantern on riley
decor was good - vietnamese vibe without being OTT - love the floor tiles
great service - friendly and timely - neither intrusive nor absent
food was good - but- started out well with the first few offerings very nice although I feel that the flavours lack a bit of the punch of true vietnamese, tastes like it has been adjusted to perceptions of a western palate, could have been both sourer and hotter. least favourite dishes on the tasting menu were the "mains" duck and pork both in a thicker, sweeter, what i would call cantanese style sauce. dessertd were not impressive either but i did not consider this a priority on a vietnamese tasting menu
Luke was very generous with his time, stopping for chats and photos with those patrons who seemed interested

• Visited April 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Elegant Vietnamese Cuisine”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have been a fan of Luke Nguyen for some time, and his food/travel lifestyle programs have been the inspiration for a number of my holiday destinations in South East Asia. It was a no-brainier that I would dine at Red Lantern as soon as I had the opportunity. I wasn't disappointed! The food is delicious, service attentive but unobtrusive, and the decor modern but evocative of Vietnam. I couldn't order everything on the menu, so I did the next best thing and ordered the tasting platter. I was pleasantly surprised by the generosity of the tasting platters serves and could only just fit in a dessert (but that goes into a different stomach doesn't it!). This restaurant is a little on the pricey side, but given its recent elevation to the Sydney top 10, and the quality of food, I give it a big thumbs up!

Bangkok
“Quick eat... Remain intrigue”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I visited the place by desperate after a late return of rental car near by and it was just before 3PM...it's beyond late lunch.. First impression of the place is the chic asian looks and with open kitchen..um must be pricey. The reception was very helpful in ensuring the chef to squeeze through the day's last lunch for us.
I thought that the menu is very interesting and challenging for those firs timer of Vietnamese cuisine. We were recommended crispy chicken with soy sauce and braised pork belly.
Both dishes took a bit of time to arrive but tasted not bad... Portion size..BiG! Try

kardinya
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Loved the setting, food and the service. We began at the cocktail bar and I loved the Hoi Ann sunset - very watm with fresh ginger. We chose the tasting plate and loved everything. Highly reccommend the experience!