“Good Food, Funky Atmosphere But Too Noisy!”
Review of 4 Fourteen

4 Fourteen
Ranked #95 of 6,144 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We dined with friends last Friday night. The food menu is quite confusing, so it was pleasing that our waiter, Sean, explained it in detail, and how best to order if the group was sharing.

I ordered separately, and started with the King fish which was sensational, especially as it was cold, perfect on such a hot night. My main was the pork which was a good size for a main. My friends shared the chicken wings and fish fingers, which they enjoyed very much. They also shared the pork and another dish I cannot remember.

The wine list is also a little confusing, with several wines available by the glass and 375 ml carafe. We started with a carafe of a Victorian pinot grigio which was crisp and tasty. It was excellent with my Kingfish. With the mains we had a half carafe of a Shiraz recommended by Sean (the waiter). I felt it would be too young, and did feel it was a little, but it was none the less enjoyable.

The decor is funky, and the crowd young. There is music played loudly. Rather unnecessary as the noise level from diners in the restaurant was already very high. Perhaps diners should be offered ear plugs?

So although the food was generally good, we are unlikely to return.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband read a review on this restaurant, so we decided to try it since we were on a visit to Sydney. It's an open kitchen concept, nice feeling as we enter. That feeling stopped quickly as we stood there for what seemed like ages, no one addressed us or directed us to a table.
Finally a chef dingged a bell, and the one and only waitress finally sat us down.

Food was quite tasty though. The waitress did take the time to explain their dining concept. Some dishes could be shared. We shared all our dishes. Mussels were good. Ox tongue with celeriac came quite literally...but the tongue was nicely done, not chewy and the celeriac complemented it quite well.
We also ordered Pork Belly, and a multigrain salad. Both were tasty.

All in all a great experience, do share you dishes, that way you can try more dishes.
We are not wine drinkers, but I saw a substantial selection there.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Interesting British style food, mostly sharing type dishes. If you're a fan of Four in Hand or Paddington Arms, you'll find this is similar only a bit more fancy, more restaurant style than pub style.

The desserts are fantastic!!!!!!! I tried the "Bounty" which is like a deconstructed bounty bar - chocolate & coconut heaven.
The jam donuts are apparently great also, but I haven't yet tried them.

The absolute must try though, is the "White Chocolate Sandwich". A white chocolate parfait sandwiched between two crispy toffee wafers, with a beautiful caramel sauce. So amazing, I've been to other places for dinner, and then to 4 Fourteen just for that dessert afterwards.

1  Thank MissMotivated
Reviewed December 11, 2012

A little hard to get to Nd difficult to park. But worth the effort. 4 fourteen a derivative of four in hand in Paddington. It has similar backbone to its food but with added zing and youth. Try anything on the menu and I guarantee it will not be what you were expecting but will not disappoint. We go with the kids , as a couple after work , with friends, and all groups leave satisfied.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We went on a saturday for lunch in this high celings ,modern restaurant and loved the atmosphere straight away.The open kitchen is a great idea so you can see the very Busy chefs at work and the succulent roasted suckling pig coming out from the oven and spreading its mouthwatering smell....
The dishes are very creative,light and tasty.we had deep fried pork brains,pig's trails cruncky and tasty,fennel and mackerel salad and the most cruncky roasted banana on a light creme englese.
Very good service!