“I loved it! Forget the naysayers”

Madame Tussauds Sydney
Book In Advance
$32.72*
Madame Tussauds Sydney Entrance Ticket
$53.17*
and up
Sydney Attractions Pass: SEA LIFE Aquarium, Sydney Tower Eye, WILD LIFE Zoo...
$116.15*
Sydney Attraction Pass: Darling Harbour Experience Ticket
Ranked #49 of 487 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Madame Tussauds Sydney features an all-star cast of the world’s best known personalities and heroes, including A-list celebrities, sports heroes, rock legends, world leaders and an array of home-grown Australian legends. Madame Tussauds Sydney is a new breed of attraction, with interactivity at the heart of the experience. Get up close, touch and even hug the figures. You can also grab the props to make your photos even more authentic!With a fascinating history dating back to the Paris of 1770, Madame Tussauds is quite literally a labour of love spanning 200 years of expertise and research. Each wax figure is crafted with unprecedented skill, artistry and accuracy. It takes over 800 hours of work and 20 artists to make just one wax figure.Madame Tussauds Sydney is the thirteenth Madame Tussauds attraction opened worldwide and the fifth of its kind in the Asia Pacific region.
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

I was a bit sceptical about Madame Tussauds after reading mixed reviews, but was pleasantly surprised! I loved that you could interact with the wax figures, getting right up close (even touching) and the photo props were fun. The collection was certainly big enough for me with historical, political, sporting and celebrity displays. There was a distinctly Aussie flavour with plenty of the international favourites. There were quite a few people there, but not as many as the Aquarium, and you didn't have to wait long at all to get your photo with the favourites. Definitely worth a visit, but the combo pass does make it better value for money. My one complaint is the occasional smell of animals from next door, but there's not much to be done about that!

There are newer reviews for Madame Tussauds Sydney

Reviewed August 18, 2014

The museum is small but the display is nice. I did not plan on going but as I got the tickets for free (after buying tickets to the Eye, the aquarium and the wildlife sanctuary) we went in. The kids had lots of fun posing with super stars and politicians.
The emphasis on Ozzie celebs was nice - I did not know there were so many.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

I went to this museum as one of the attractions on my iventure voucher purchase online, along with Taronga Zoo and Sydney Sealife Aquarium, which is next to it. While it was all a very thrilling and exhilirating experience for me, I felt it had too much emphasis on Australian personalities and little on more well-known world celebrities. No Elvis, but there's Justin Bieber? Why he, of all people, he's doesn't even merit a mention in the Billboard Books on pop music. Would have been better to have the Spice Girls instead. It would be very well if the tourists were all fellow Ozzies, but most of the visitors are foreigners from other countries who would not have the slightest idea who Henry Lawson or Sister Mary McKillop were.

On the plus side, there are props like hats and wigs that one can don and pose in varied and ridiculous positions beside the figures and have photos taken for posterity. Be sure to come with a companion or in a group so that someone is on hand to take your picture.

The exhibit is relatively small, and can be finished in under two hours. I hope that in the future it will be expanded to include more well-known world figures and also have interactive displays such as moving eyes or limbs like the ones in the London counterpart, to make it worth the entrance fee.

1  Thank bebop63
Reviewed August 16, 2014

i visited this last year on my first ever trip to sydney and i really enjoyed it. i am not really a big fan of wax figures but i liked this collection. they are not creepy at all like some other ones. they are pretty life like. it is worth your money and is conveintly located on darling harbour.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Having spent months infinitely planning our trip to Sydney with fine detail, we were gutted to arrive on a Wednesday evening to find the venue closed for a private party. Whilst I appreciate Madame Tussaud's have to make money, for those of us who are here on a once of a lifetime trip, it threw our plans out considerably. We had chosen the time specifically as the venue closed later than most other tourist attractions. As a consequence, we had to rush around other places we had also paid for the following day in order to squeeze this in before we flew home.

We bought the tickets in conjunction with other Sydney tourist attractions which kept the cost to a reasonable amount. The tour takes about an hour, but we stopped to make wax hands in the middle which added on more time. The price on the wall for the wax hands (3 for $30) soon gets bumped up when they ask if you want the hand put on a stand that are an additional $2 - a bit of a snide way to get extra money off tourists, this should be made clear on the costs on the wall.

Nonetheless, our family enjoyed our trip round. Obviously as tourists, we didn't quite know every character in there, but there are plenty of plaques to gain the required information. We agree with other reviews that some models that were advertised, weren't actually on the tour. What we did find very pleasing was the ability to get up close to all the models. (My last visit to Tussauds, London was circa 1989 when everything was behind a rope!!) The props with each model were also a welcome surprise. We had great fun dressing up and making silly poses, making some lovely memories.

Of all of the attractions we covered in Sydney, this was the most average one by far. You can purchase drinks on the way around, but there is no cafe for a pit stop (Darling Harbour does offer infinite delightful cafés though). If you're looking for somewhere on a rainy day, then I'd give it a go.