“Robbed!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macquarie Boutique Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sydney
Macquarie Boutique Hotel
Ranked #130 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Florida
“Robbed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2008

DON'T STAY HERE!! Worst place to stay in Australia! Not only are the rooms nasty, and infested with cockaroaches, but we were robbed, by someone who has a key to the rooms. After a day in the city we come back to our room ripped apart our luggage all over the place and all our money and valubles gone!! We lost about $6000.00 Dollars. We filed a police report and after they were done investigating the hotel managment were very rude and in a hurry to get rid of us. I strongly suspect the manager Amanda J for being responsible. So tell everyone you know not to stay here, It's best for a crooked business like this to go down!!!!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pitviper

Noosa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2008

Here you get the 3 C's. Clean, comfortable and convenient. A 3 minute walk will get you to Museum Station and a 15 minute walk to Chinatown and the city centre. There is plenty of hot water and good shower pressure. Breakfast-in-a-box was more than adequate and tea & coffee in the room was good. The bed was very cozy and the plasma T.V. worked fine,although it took a while to find where channels were located on the remote-no big deal, but a bit frustrating when you just want to veg out. The lift had to be unlocked by the staff to use it, but it wasn't too much of a hardship to use the stairs although it would be, I'd imagine, for those whose fitness is a bit below par. The staff was helpful and friendly and I was upgraded for my 2 day stay. At $80 a night I was more than happy. Over the years I have paid a lot more for a lot less. I will stay again next time I am in Sydney.

• Liked — Cleanliness, comfort & convenience.
  • Disliked — The lift ....& the carpet!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ella-saatchi
reading
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2008

Well, what to say about this hotel...

On a positive note, its cheap, good central location and staff were friendly, what you'd expect.

Now the negatives. We viewed this hotel on the internet and thought it looked nice so we booked. We arrived on a bank holiday and found the place all locked up with nobody in sight, we actually thought the place had closed down! Reception not obvious at all.

When we actually got in, our room we were given was more like a cupboard....no windows, dark, shabby ceiling and incredibly inhospitable. We asked for a room change and were duly given one. The pictures DO NOT resemble the hotel in our view.

The new room was satisfactory, with the exception of cockroaches which visited us in the night. We were on first floor, so had to use the stairwell to from the premises and found further dead cockroaches here.

In summary, if you are on a budget, we'd recommend the place, if not splash the cash and find somewhere else.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank royalsfan1

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Aussie
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2007

I stayed here for a week last year and paid a very reasonable price - about $70 per night from memory, via a last minute rates site. Great value! The room was clean, quite spacious, with a TV, kettle, and mini fridge. The bathroom was lovely - very new, tiled, clean. Towels got changed daily, and were fluffy, white, and huge!

While the inlcuded breakfast was simple - toast, cereal, fruit, coffee - the coffee was *real* coffee. Having a latte every morning was a real treat!

Management were very friendly, and helped me in arranging transfers. Watch out if you have a lot of bags though - sometimes it's hard to snag the elevator.

Great value, great location - Oxford St is around the corner, the CBD is literally up the road! I'd stay there again!

Stayed April 2006
1 Thank buns123
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2007

What is good............
the continental breakfast included, and for 5 AUD you can upgrade to a monster full cooked job.
It is cheap. it has a good coffee shop on site.
it is in a very useful location.

What is not so good.
where to start....................
At 1800, I called them to make sure that the reception / bottle shop would still be open when I arrived at 2230. Oh yes, no problems mate, we will be here.
Well, they were not.
I bashed the windows and doors until the bar manager came out and rescued me. She explained that as they were not busy, they had decided to close early.

My room, where I am writing this now, is small, scruffy, cold with broken furniture. I dont think the refurb has reached the top floor yet! Certainly, the pictures on the hotels website do not match my reality now.

The route from the street entrance to my toom is via the most untidy, dirty staircase that just gets more depressing as you go up it.

No way would I stay here again, never mind the price.

• Liked — breakfast and location
  • Disliked — room, state of decoration, staff...............
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank steveblower
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2007

We stayed here from 30th Dec 06 - 4th Jan 07.

The hotel was great - some of the previous reviews on tripadvisor had left me feeling slightly apprehensive about the place - but there were NO WORRIES!

We arrived early - the previous occupants of our room were finding it difficult to leave! So the receptionist asked us to be patient and even pointed us toward the roof top where we could sit in the sun whilst waiting - great! The roof top was exactly that a roof with some tables & chairs but it suited us fine. We grabbed a 6 pack of beers out of the hotel bottle shop and wrote some post cards and enjoyed the sunshine!

The room was big and airy - lots of windows looking out onto the street below. There was a largish bathroom with a shower that was warm and wet! It was great for washing your smalls in!

There was a TV and a fridge in the room which was good for keeping that beer cold! The bed was large and comfy. Plenty of storage, air conditioning and a sofa to lounge on.

There was a continental breakfast included and when we were up early for day trips they provided us with a breakfast pack into the room - cereal milk, juice and a ceral bar.

There was a laundry room - AU$4 for washing and AU$4 for drying, plus iron and board too.

A special mention for the staff - they were great - really helpful and friendly - always up for a chat.

There was a bar downstairs, a cafe, a bottle shop (which was well stocked) and a Thai restaurant too - all really competitively priced.

The hotel was on Wentworth Ave - and within walking distance of public transport or all the main tourist areas.

All in all l couldnt have asked for more, its not 5 star and doesnt claim to be - its maybe a bit worn around the edges but its clean provides all the needed amenities for a traveller. If l ever stop off in Sydney again l wouldnt think twice about booking this hotel.

• Liked — The staff were brilliant
  • Disliked — The lift was tiny!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Purdy28Paul
Blackpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2007

I stayed here September 2004, so things might have changed since I visited.

I thought the location was great - we walked everywhere. The room itself was quite small but neverless it was clean and tidy and with so much to do in Syndey, you won't be spending much time in your room anyway.

Didn't experience any problems with the staff. The receptionist was helpful and courteous and happily answered all our "touristy" questions.

The breakfast downstairs was very nice too, and set me up for a day exploring.

You can't really complain for the price.

Hotel aside, my highlights must be...
Syndey Harbour Bridge climb
Meat and Wine Company Restaurant in Darling Harbour
Aquarium (early evening when you have the place to yourselves more or less).
Shopping!!!