“Outstanding Hotel”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sydney
Royal Hotel
Ranked #139 of 177 Hotels in Sydney
CT
“Outstanding Hotel”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

The hotel was outstanding from the well-appointed room, the excellent business center, to the concierge service. .The hotel location also provided access to the DBC and the tourist sites.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Stayed in this hotel over the New Year period and it was quite busy at the time. Prices were also more expensive at this time but we got what we paid for in so far as the beds were clean and the bathroom was accesible, (though not located in the room)

The hotel itself had a warm atmosphere, with a bar downstairs. Staff were friendly and helpful, though the cleaners were very quick to kick us out the following day before the expected check out time and repeatedly knocked on the door.

Room Tip: Rooms we stayed in had no bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed June 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed here on a recent trip to Sydney as it was close by a friends place (who sadly didnt have the room for us). She advised her parents had stayed before and they thought it was ok, they even had a tv and a shower I was told so though well if its good enough for them!..What a mistake that was!

We knew it was accommodation above a pub so were not expecting the Ritz, however we were shocked to say the least when we saw the room we would be staying in. Honestly - I have stayed in better hotels in India and 3rd world countries so the fact that this room was in my home country came as a surprise. Especially as the website led us to believe it was a hotel, when in fact this place was worse than any hostel I had stayed in. The room was like a slum - dingy and depressing.

I had pre booked it via email and when we got there, no booking was in place. So we waited (this was well after check in time too) and finally the room (or should I say slum) was ready. The manager on duty didnt really seem to care too much, he was only worried about what was going on downstairs.

There was no toilet or bathroom as I thought there would be as a bare minimum, only a communal dark toilet area to share with the rest of the floor. There was a bare lightbulb hanging from the ceiling, 2 single beds pushed together (when we had asked for a double), a fresh brown stain on the carpet (which was filthy overall) a decrepit unworking fireplace, peeling wallpaper, no fans or cooling at all, only a creaky half open window which we had to keep open for fresh air, although we were kept up by the patrons of the pub downstairs. I am surprised I didnt catch bed bugs! Next door was a room with a heap of bunk beds obviously being occupied by a large group of backpackers.

The pub itself is a decent watering hole for a drink but just a word of advice - dont go upstairs! whatever you do. Charging $150 a night or whatever ridiculous price they charged a night is just a joke. The room wasnt even worth $50 a night. (And if you think I am just being a whinger, look at my other reviews from various stays around the world, all mostly positive as I try to be open minded- but this was a complete joke!)

Royal Hotel - its time for a refurb or a reduction in prices. Very Very VERY disapointing

Room Tip: dont even bother, this place is a craphole
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kylieboo28

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I e-mailed the 'Royal' Hotel a room booking weeks up front, which they replied was 'confirmed'. Lucky for me I'd surfed their entire website & read all the fine print or I wouldn't have known that their idea of a 'confirmed' booking is one they'll then give away to anyone else who offers up their credit card details for the room deposit before you do. This wasn't mentioned in their e-mail. Judging by the rest of their staff's (dis)service, I very much doubt they'd even notify you of your booking being bought by someone else until you turned up on their doorstep. Their e-mail didn't even give the hotel's website address, so if you had gotten the e-mail address elsewhere, & had your booking 'confirmed' tough for you when you turn up & find it isn't, & hope you like sleeping in the street ( which actually might be better than this hotel).

I e-mailed this dump asking for payment method, & they replied suggesting I send them my unencrypted credit card details. Having more sense than them, I rang them STD to pay, to be told that I had to ring back after dinner. I did, reluctantly, & the booking was 'fully' confirmed.

On the day I was traveling my flight was delayed some hours, & I rang the so-called 'Royal' (as if any member of royalty would be seen dead there!) to let them know I'd confirmed booking & would be arriving late, Their staff's response was to pretend I hadn't confirmed. When I asserted myself they demanded to know *how* I'd confirmed - I told them & they answered they'd check & ring me back in 5 minutes. Guess what? (you've probably guessed dear reader, having seen a pattern in how the staff at this dive consistently 'work' in this & other reviews) - *ten* minutes later they hadn't rung me. So I'm in the boarding queue for the plane, fortunate to get in a fast $1/minute cellphone call to this hotel-from-hell before I was obliged to switch off the phone while airborne. The Royal's mis-manager told me I'd "have" to stay in a dorm room rather than the single room I'd booked days ahead of time. No explanation, no apology for stuffing up the booking, no apology for not ringing back as they'd promised. In short, inept & rude in about all possible ways. I told them I would not be leaving my luggage unguarded in a shared room while I went out for the evening to the gig I'd arranged the trip for, & that their hotel was now the LAST place I'd ever stay in. I spent a lot of time & money thanks to these fools getting a room elsewhere, but it was money well spent.

Don't go there, beleaguered-enough-already traveler, don't even *attempt* to go to the 'Royal' Hotel. If you're severely self destructive enough to ignore that advice, consider your 'booking' as something the hotel's useless staff will ignore.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank bigbadsteve
Reviewed January 14, 2011

booked this hotel for 24days wanted twin rooms for total stay but was told 21 days in twin room 3 in double,ended up 4 days in double,was given no imformation on hotel at all.Paid up front for the whole stay,was given a key card to go in and out of hotel and room,we were locked out twice as card deactivated after a week,which we wer'nt told.Air conditioning broke down Boxing day and was'nt fixed for 4 days,safe jammed on the same day,luckily Oliver managed to open it for us.We moved rooms the safe did'nt work in there so had to lock everything in case,again that was'nt fixed ror three days.We complained to the manager and the person we booked with who seems to have alot to say about things,she did admit it was her mistake over the rooms,but everything else was put down to the holiday time and people not working over this period.We paid alot of money as it was peak season it was based on bed only as the hotel don't do meals,they do have a restaurant that is open for lunch and dinner,abit pricey though.Its based in an ideal spot,quite central,near to the beach as well.Got to admit the hotel is spotless towels changed every day clean beds.The room attendants,Emily Cassi,Robin,sorry can't remember the other lady's name were brilliant,helpful,friendly and kept our rooms lovely.The young Slovolian girl in the restaurant was lovely the bar staff good and as i mentioned earlier Oliver would make a good manager,but the other two,they know who they are,a waste of space with a don't care attitude

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
sydney
Reviewed January 7, 2008

8 Jan 2008
This is a true Aussie hospitality pad. I am long term guest and in fact still staying here. It is true that it is close to Redfern BUT it is equidistance to Newtown railway station which is a another vibrant village. The owners; Mark & Jason are friendly and the rooms are comfy. It is noisy at times but this is not exactly the Hilton in the city. I would recommend this place for budget travellers who wants to be away from the city (10 minutes) and to meet new friends in the TV room.
Arumugam

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The pub downstairs closes early
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Warwickshire, UK
Reviewed February 7, 2006

I stayed at this place as soon as I arrived in Sydney. As I was so desperate to have somewhere to sleep I made the mistake of booking for 4 weeks - it seemed OK when I was jetlagged. I stayed in a single room - it was a dump and very noisy at night. The local train station is Redfern, known as the "only no-go" area in Sydney. This hostel is a long way from anywhere, so you will need to use the station.

Nobody really talks in this place and the facilities are appalling. I had to buy my own kitchen things as I didn't feel safe using their's!!!

Luckily, after 3 nights, I managed to get a refund and moved to "Wake Up!" Sydney Central - a place well worth checking out!!!

• Stayed January 2006