The Grand Hotel
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)
$191
$202
$182
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
The Grace Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$125
$118
  • Pool
All reviewsthere is no air conditioningshared facilitieselectric jugcentral sydneywardrobesoapcleaners
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

This place is in a top CBD location , clean beds, shares bathrooms and linen. The rooms were not in good shape ( stained carpet, peeling paint on walls). However you pay for what you get and honestly for $70pn I think it is good value for money . Just don't expect more than the basics. However I wouldn't book again unless the roadwork ( right out the front involving concrete saws and jackhammers between 11pm-430am) has finished. It's beyond the hotels control but steer clear until that work is finalised !!! Or don't sleep .....I was awake until 430am when they had to finish to get ready for the peak traffic and slept about 2 hrs and left. There is a little common room for tea/toast/cereal too ( included).

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank thefunfive
MerivaleManagement, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Hi,

We thank you for your patience and apologise for the inconvenience of the road works noise conducted by Sydney water. This circumstance was unfortunately out of our control. The road cutting and hammering is now complete and road works have moved away for the Grand hotel.

Regards,

The Grand Hotel team.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Well where do I begin, from the photos of the hotel, it looked ok, so we booked it for 7 nights.
Shock horror, we went through the doors of the pub, up in the lift to the 5th floor opened the door it was awful, curtains hanging of the rail, offices across the road could see in, so we had
to get a coathanger clip type and clip the curtain together. Sink tap hanging off, you had to hold
it to work. IF we had not paid we would no have stopped. One good thing came out of this we were close to the bus station, opera house, the rocks, and ferries. So you make the best of it.

There was a special deal on at the pub, which for food it was good and price ok,

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 627sarah1234
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Spent the night sleeping in the bathroom - massive roadworks right outside the front door. The only way to get any sleep was to pick up my mattress and put it on the floor of the bathroom down the hall. The really disgusting part... The manager didn't once mention potential noise and conveniently left for the night before it all started. Road works likely to be in Hunter Street for the next six months. So, if you want to sleep at night don't stay here.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Bok3332

Hi,

Regards,

The Grand Hotel team.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have a really bad sense of smell, this room had a very bad smell, when the door was opened by the attendant I said this room has a very bad smell and he said I cant smell anything which tells me he has no sense of smell at all. The carpet was bally stained and disgusting. Furniture was the type of furniture you put out for rubbish collection Huge stain on bedside table. There was a sort of clothes rack and an IKEA type hanging draw of the rack. The light in my room went out at 9.00 pm and I did not go down to tell them as I had gone down three times asking for milk for my coffee to be told they were too busy to bring any up and I was told to go to the breakfast room and get some after I had wait 2 hours so I decided it would not be to my advantage to wait for someone to come and fix the light as that would probably take several more hours. I would not let my animal stay there. I have stayed at some bad places when I was back packing overseas but this was the worst. It was worst than a low rate backpackers. As for breakfast that’s another story no butter for toast only Vegemite and peanut butter two pieces of fruit to do the whole hotel, three loaves of bread it was not as if I was at breakfast late it was only 7.00am so if you arrived late you had no food. As for the milk I went and took some milk and put it in a glass to make coffee and in the morning when I went to make myself coffee the milk was frozen in the bar fridge. You are better of at staying in a hostel. You would be much more comfortable. The kettle need to be put of the bedroom floor if you wanted to make coffee as there was nowhere to plug into the power point.

Room Tip: It is a great location for getting around Sydney close to bus railway Opera House not far from the Rocks area but the room was something else!!!!! I have a really bad sense of smell, this room had a very bad smell, when the door was opened by the attendant I said this room has a very bad smell and he said I cant smell anything which tells me he has no sense of smell at all. The carpet was bally stained and disgusting. Furniture was the type of furniture you put out for rubbish collection Huge stain on bedside table. There was a sort of clothes rack and an IKEA type hanging draw of the rack. The light in my room went out at 9.00 pm and I did not go down to tell them as I had gone down three times asking for milk for my coffee to be told they were too busy to bring any up and I was told to go to the breakfast room and get some after I had wait 2 hours so I decided it would not be to my advantage to wait for someone to come and fix the light as that would probably take several more hours. I would not let my animal stay there. I have stayed at some bad places when I was back packing overseas but this was the worst. It was worst than a low rate backpackers. As for breakfast that’s another story no butter for toast only vegemite and peanut butter two pieces of fruit to do the whole hotel, three loaves of bread it was not as if I was at breakfast lat it was only 7.00am so if you arrived late you had no food. As for the milk I went and took some milk and put it in a glass to make coffee and in the morning when I went to make myself coffee the milk was frozen in the bar fridge. You are better of at staying in a hostel. You would be much more comfortable. The kettle need to be put of the bedroom floor if you wanted to make coffee as there was nowhere to plug into the power point.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michan13
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here one night prior to getting on board a cruise. Great location but old rooms desperately in need of a makeover and you h ave to walk down the hall to the toilet and shower. The only good thing going for this was the bed was clean and comfortable. The ancient lift was difficult to use when manoeuvring a large suitcase and It got stuck between floors. I had to yell to another guest on the floor below to push the button to get me out. It was a Tuesday and I paid $50. The bar on the ground floor was nice. In fact my father told me this was the first pub he went to for an after work drink when he joined the work force. He is now 82 years old. It was adequate but fortunately I chose somewhere else to stay the night the ship returned to Sydney.

Room Tip: all rooms will let in the city traffic noise and some light.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo