“Air of old school charm works fine”
Review of Vulcan Hotel

Vulcan Hotel
Ranked #74 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Geneva, Switzerland
“Air of old school charm works fine”
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here a couple of nights for work, which was located on Glebe Point Road, less than a 10 min walk away. The location was fine for that; I didn't go any further afield, so hard to judge if it's a good location if you're a visitor or tourist to Sydney.

The room was fine; mine overlooked the main street, but jet lag and being a heavy sleeper meant I didn't hear any noise. The room was a good size, bed comfy, TV worked. The room and the building in general had high ceilings, ceiling roses, etc, lending it an air of old school charm that I liked.

The bathroom was fine, except one small complaint; a gap in the shower screen meant it was inevitable water would escape and end up all over the floor, leaving the bath mat a soggy mess. A couple of squirts of waterproof sealer would help fix that.

I got a $5 breakfast voucher for one morning - and still ended up paying $12.50 on top of that again for breakfast. It was nice, but I wouldn't call it good value.

Would be fine to stay here again for the same purpose; for anything else, I'd recommend doing some research to find if it's in the right area for your needs.

One last thing; beware that reception isn't 24hr; I arrived around 10pm, just as the reception was closing up for the night. I had no idea that it closed that early and it was only by virtue of me choosing to get a taxi - instead of public transport, like I usually do - that I made it there in the nick of time!

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank empress_joanna
Vulcan H, Owner at Vulcan Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2014
Hi Empress_joanna, what a fabulous Trip Advisor handle.
Thanks for your lengthy review of our family owned and run hotel. We have taken note of the shower issue you raised and will take immediate action. Reception is open till 10pm however in an emergency we would assist you after those hours. Kind regards - Carole & Harvey - Owners

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Munster, Germany
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Vulcan hotel was the perfect choice to stay in while being in Sydney. Loved the furniture and the way the whole hotel looked like. The hotel is located next to the university. Not really in the middle of town but within a 10 min. you are in the middle of everything- just what I wanted.
In addition to that, staff was super friendly and helpful. After a very small complaint, I got an uprgrade which was really generous- thank you for that.
I felt welcome from the first moment I stayed there. I would return anytime.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Jule K
Vulcan H, Owner at Vulcan Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2014
Hello Julie K
We really appreciate your review of our family owned and run hotel. Thank you for mentioning our great location to the city centre of Sydney. Regards Carole & Harvey - Owners
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Accused by the owner at 1am this morning of setting off the fire alarm. What the?!?!?!
Incredibly rude man. The whole experience has left a very bad impression. Won't be recommending this place any time soon

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
12 Thank Joanna H
Vulcan H, Owner at Vulcan Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Joanna, it is unfortunate that the fire brigade and owner entering your room to check on your well being during a fire alarm was intrusive in your opinion.
No blame pointing at all, we simply were worried for your safety.
Regards, Carole and Harvey - Owners
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I must say I am very happy with my room at the Vulcan, I am in 308 it's perfect, comfy bed, pillows, quiet, I have a wonderful spa which I found hard to get out of as I was so relaxed, perfect after a very early start a flight and a long day in a conference. Easy walking distance to Central Shopping centre with Woolies and fast food take away. I will review the breakfast in the morning. the building is heritage and has been well maintained and has old world charm. If you book directly with the Vulcan you get free wifi, If you book in advance you get an early bird special, I am here for 2 nights and only paid $253, bargain.

Room Tip: 3rd floor, room 308 is quiet, double windows make a difference. Good black blinds help keep it dark...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Ingrid O
Hello Ingrid O
Thank you for pointing our hotels' wonderful attributes in your review. We appreciate your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Regards Carole & Harvey
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2014

As a regular visitor to Sydney and a regular at the Vulcan I find satying there is like staying with a good friend and not the sterile enviroment of most large hotels. It is a no fuss well located hotel with lots of charm. The staff are friendly and as a regular treat you as such.

Room Tip: Ask for an inner room no city noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Frank M
Hello Frank M
Thank you for your lovely review. We are so happy you feel as comfortable as at home when you visit us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Regards Carole & Harvey - Owners
Maitland, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We've stayed several times at the Vulcan as it ticks all the boxes for a young family or for a couple. With kids we had a great space that was very comfortable for us all. As a couple we were upgraded and the room was quiet and well set out.
This is a great location and the breakfast downstairs is great! The staff are really helpful and parking is very very reasonable. Cool space++

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TomJacB
Hello TomJacB,
lovely to have stay with us so often and appreciate your kind review about our hotel. We strive to be a stylish value for money hotel with friendly staff and so near to Sydney city centre
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 6, 2014

They hotel is great value for money. The location is close to Darling Harbour and the public transport systems of Sydney. Also: sydney fish market, Glebe, Dog track. Modern interior - clean, tidy and well appointed. I based myself for 7 days in this hotel and saw all of Sydney. From Darling Harbour, to the farmers markets, Opera house, Manly, Glebe restaurants. Walked everywhere and used the great Sydney public transport from metro rail to trains, buses and ferries.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Annenberg
VulcanH, Owner at Vulcan Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Hello Annenberg

Lovely to have a guest from USA review in such positive way. Thank you for noting our location and easy access to see all the great sights of Sydney Australia. Please come and stay again. Regards Carole & Harvey - Owners