“DISGUSTING, UNCLEAN.. RYDGES? NEVER AGAIN!!!”
Review of Rydges Camperdown

Rydges Camperdown
Ranked #156 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
NSW Australia
“DISGUSTING, UNCLEAN.. RYDGES? NEVER AGAIN!!!”
Reviewed February 2, 2010

The room was unclean... I accidently knocked the bed, and found underneath the bed was absolutely FILTHY! My bottom sheet had been put on without covering the lower section of the bed.

I asked for a wake up call as I had a six hour meeting the next day. I was woken up 1.5 HOURS prior to the time I asked to be woken up! How unprofessional!!

There were signs everywhere in the hotel advertising a happy hour with canapes during weekdays. There was no happy hour or canapes.

I was charged twice for WiFi access due to internet dropping out!

Shower was cold (had hot tap on full and no cold water, and it was STILL cold!), and had a leak out the side, which leaked all over my clothes.

Upon complaining to staff, I was treated very nonchalant, and given a discount. I made it clear I didn't want a discount, I wanted an apology. Didn't get one.

I am a priority privilege member with Intercontinental Hotels and have stayed with them worldwide, and NEVER had any troubles with them. I will never stay at a Rydges again after this experience, would not recommend.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Ducati_Girl848
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post this review, it is disappointing to hear that you had an unfortunate experience whilst staying with us at Rydges Camperdown, I have personally address your comments you mentioned with our Management Team. Once again I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Vietnamese first
Brisbane
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Checked in and they had allocated a non smoking room despite repeated requests for a smoking room. Another friend who doesnt smoke was allocated a smoking room. So it appears if you request a smoking room you dont get one and if you dont smoke you get one.
Then the very kind man at the Reception found us a room on the smoking floor but it only had one bed so he offered us a roll away bed. I have slept on rollaway beds before but this one was awful and very very uncomfortable and woke with a very very sore back. When the rollaway arrived the guy just dumped it in the room and ran out of the room so quick and didnt offer to set it up for us.

The room itself is very very tired and there is paint peeling from the walls, the bathroom is worn out and cracked and broken tiles and a very filthy toilet.

Having stayed at other Rydges Hotels before I was expecting a pretty good standard and was not impressed with this place at all - it would barely meet the 3 star rating.

The room service breakfast was great value and arrived on time and was very appetising.

There were serious problems with the airconditioning in the room as in the early hours of the morning it was boiling hot in the room and impossible to sleep comfortably. I ended up having to wet a towel to keep me cool.

A bit disappointed considering the brand new Rydges.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Matey9
Thank you for taking the time to post this review, it is disappointing to hear that you had an unfortunate experience whilst staying with us at Rydges Camperdown, I have personally address your comments with the Management Team. Once again I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 24, 2009

Room was neat and clean which suited our needs. Beds were comfortable. LCD T.V. very nice. Male reception person needs education on customer focus i.e. polite communication NOT just the word 'Yes!' spoken in a rude and disinterested tone when approached politely by Guest who asked 'excuse me please.......'. Extremely unprofessional.

Full breakfast was atrocious! Not hot, not much on offer and that was just after 8a.m.! Coffee could not be drunk as it actually looked like dirty dish water. A cliche, I know, but true. Dining room staff really should move the butter & margarine away from the industrial size toaster. Just common sense! Please ensure enough hot food for guests as I saw people with barely anything on their plate as baine-maries' were nearly empty. Two staff went about slowly removing and replacing plates but not replacing food! So, do NOT have breakfast there!

Female reception staff was very pleasant, courteous and professional.
All in all got a good price and it was what it was. Not really complaining but they do need to pick up their act in a couple of areas as above.

• Stayed December 2009
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor, I was truly disappointed to hear you comments regarding the level of service, as this is something we pride ourselves in. Once again thank you for your comments and we hope we are given the opportunity to host you again.

London UK
Reviewed November 12, 2009

This hotel is undergoing renovation for the next few months. Meaning: Construction noise, whole floors that smell of solvents, paint and glue, and old un-renovated rooms that are literally falling apart.

Staff are poorly trained and can't answer basic questions such as "what floor is the guest laundry on", and the late night security guard requires an attitude realignment. I was given a room key for a room that was already occupied, which may well have caused embarrassment had I entered unannounced at the wrong time. An unacceptable security lapse.

It's position near the corner of two of Sydney's busiest streets (a lot of traffic noise in poorly insulated rooms) only adds to the misery suffered by guests at this truly horrible hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank clownshoes
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, November 16, 2009
Dear Clownshoes,
As previously mentioned, Rydges Camperdown is currently undergoing refurbishments of accommodation rooms, please note that there will be minimal disturbance as each floor is completed one at a time with no guests allocated to that floor. We apologise regarding your check-in issue, the front office manager has been made aware of this situation and will work with each staff member to ensure this does not occur again.
Kind Regards,
australia
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I had to go into hospital in october and needed to stay in a hotel to rest after my operation,to my suprise this hotel is absolutely filfthy.The curtains had blood over them,carpets were filfty,bathrooms had never been cleaned ,hair in sink and around taps,bath dirty,cups dirty.The whole place is just a germ hole it should be closed down.We asked to be moved to another room that was just as bad.BUT TO TOP IT OFF THE SMOKE ALARMS WERE COVERED WITH SHOWER CAPS SO IF THERE WAS A FIRE NO ONE WOULD KNOW ABOUT IT UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE.I am reporting them to the local health inspectors and fire authorities.Food teriable.They keep saying they are going to renovate do not stay till you see a room. Good Luck Everyone

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank emailmeAustralia
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, October 28, 2009
Dear emailmeAustralia,

Rydges Camperdown would like to advise that refurbishments of accommodation rooms are currently in progress and began on 6th October 2009. Please rest assured that all aspects of safety are taken very seriously by the hotel, including fire safety. Like all hotels in the city this includes undergoing various checks and audits to ensure compliance and safety.

Kind Regards,
sydney,australia
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Spent one night too long in a draughty western facing room with no heating & utterly frigid air-con that could not be turned into warm mode .The window facing west had a severe draught all night with strong westerly winds .The aircon seemed to only do cold and colder so was not turned on .During the night this guest woke up to a freezing room due to bad draught from the poorly sealed window & nil heating.A search for an extra blanket in the room was futile so I returned to bed fully clothed. When reception was informed of these problems on check-out they were utterly insouciant -mention was made of an intended upgrade.No compensation was offered eg by waiving the parking charge or 3.5% credit card surcharge.Never again for this Rydges Priority club member .NOT recommended at all.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank pauljamesg
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, October 26, 2009
Dear PaulJamesg,
Thank you for the feedback provided within your posting on Trip Advisor. We appreciate feedback as a way to better understand and improve the hotel. We apologies for any inconvenience caused throughout your stay due to your room being too cold and not having a blanket readily available for use in your room. From time to time guests can feel that the room temperature is either too hot or too cold for their needs and the hotel tries to anticipate these needs with additional blankets (usually located within the cupboard of each room) and also fans which are available via our 24 hour reception staff, on a case by case basis. Thank you for your comments regarding your experience with our reception team. The hotel has a great reputation for having friendly and considerate staff and we apologies that the team has let you down on this occasion. Please rest assured our front office manager has been made aware of this occurrence and will be looking into the matter further.

Kindest Regards,
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Overall, I consider this a good hotel. I had recently stayed in the Rydges World Square; the Rydges Camperdown obviously loses in the comparison. The building is not as modern and the location is not as central. I chose the Rydges Camperdown this time because I had a rental car. The hotel location allowed me to drive to the institution I was visiting without having to drive in the CBD. Besides, I found the parking rates at the hotel very reasonable (12 AUD per day). The parking lot, however is for "experts". I have never seen so many columns in my life. I managed ok, but it must be scary for non-expert drivers. The location is fine, with the restaurants along King St, Newton, within walking distance. My room was big, and with nice views of the city skyline. It is true that some aspects of the room were a bit dated, but it was just a question of aesthetics. Everything was perfectly usable. At least in my room, what I think would be best renovating is the carpeting and the stove in the kitchen (I forgot to mention, my room had a kitchen, which I found a nice addition to your regular hotel room).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Dear Reinga,
Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding Rydges Camperdown. We were glad to hear that you found the hotel to be a convenient location on the outskirts of the city CBD with easy access to Sydney’s Inner West and Western suburbs. The hotel is pleased to advise that refurbishments have begun and currently in the process of laying new carpet throughout guest rooms and corridors. We look forward to another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Kindest Regards,