“Aviod this Hotel !!!!!!!”
Review of Rydges Camperdown

Rydges Camperdown
Ranked #156 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed August 31, 2013

#Please take note of the below comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend and I chose this hotel as we were doing work at Sydney university for the week.

The Hotel is poorly managed and the staff unhelpful. I didnt mind that the Hotel is old, tired and dated. we did object to the hotel misrepresenting that it had air conditioning, which it does not.
The bed was had stained sheets, uncomfortable mattress and food wrappers under the bed.

we contacted reception and the attitude was "couldn't care less". after prepaying for the week and moving rooms three times we were clearly over it . they have mobile phone towers on the roof and our room was under them- the worst poor quality night sleep ever!

the mini bar drinks were "out of date" and someone has consumed the lemonade and refilled the bottle with tap water.

for the two hundred a night id suggest the "Quest" next door or "sheraton on the park " for fifty dollars more

I really thought this Rydges would be decent after staying at they Rydges at sydney airport which was amazing and the same price.

I can only assume the people that stay here, are desparate, on the body organ transplant waiting list for the RPA hospital across the road.
The FO staff need to go back through the hotel school and they have clearly lost their objective. "A customer is not an interruption of your day, but the purpose of it "

I would assume they have so many complaints are reception that they just see complaining or feedback as the "NORM" and ignore you.

moved to another hotel today and its so wonderful to have an environment that care and professional .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank James h
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay.

Your comments about the room cleanliness have been taken up with our Housekeeping manager and her team to ensure this does not happen again, also our food and beverage team will be checking the minibar items more regularly to ensure there is no out of date product in any guest rooms.
I am disappointed to see you found our team unhelpful during your stay as we always endeavour to exceed our guests’ expectations in any way we can, and you are correct, our customers are the reason we are here. Our teams will be reminded of this to ensure all guests are receiving the best possible service we can provide.

Again thank you for your time and please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss the matter further.

Kindest regards

There are newer reviews for Rydges Camperdown

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My experience at Rydges Camperdown was no different to most of the other reviewers. I stayed for one night for work - the hotel was booked by the meeting organiser.

My standard room was on the 4th floor. The room was a decent size and actually a bit bigger than I was expecting but everything was old, worn and tired, from furniture and carpets to accessories and fittings. The TV remote had sticky tape holding it together and it took ages for me to turn the TV on. The mattress was soft and sagging. The bathroom was dated with shower curtains flapping around when the shower is on. Having said that, everything seemed relatively clean and I had all the necessities.

The old air-conditioning control unit could only be set to low, medium or high with hot air only. It was already a mild night so I didn't need heat and had to open the window for ventilation. The trouble with this was the noise. The hotel is just off Parramatta Road and whilst there is a decent view of the city skyline, the area is busy at all times with cars, trucks and sirens, so I didn't sleep well.

Kudos to the staff. The receptionist at check-in was pleasant, friendly and professional. As was the receptionist at check-out and the staff in the breakfast room. The breakfast buffet was the usual fare and was fine.

With a decent refurb this hotel could be better than average. For now, it's barely 3 stars.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Thank you for taking your time to provide your feedback about your stay.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay and I have passed your comments onto management.

We do hope to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I expected that Rydges would be a decent hotel to stay at, but it was very shabby and the staff at the front desk were terribly rude! The room was stuffy and the air-conditioning didn't work. It's only saving grace was the proximity to RPA.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Emma P

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

Your comments have been taken on board by the team and I apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed at hotel purely because of its location to RPA. I found the hotel looked tired and needs an update. The restaurant was nicely set out and staff were very pleasant. However, the breakfast foods were swimming in grease. My room was very impersonal. Bathroom floor had stains on it and when I tried to wash one of them off, I found the stains were some type of hair dye, perhaps. In that case, it needs retiling! They looked awful. The phone didn't work and I had to wait a considerable time for it to be fixed. It was freezing cold all night long. Only one extra blanket in the cupboard, although there were two beds. I switched on the a/con only to find that it was switched to cold air. I complained to the reception desk and they said they'd only just switched it over to air con last weekend. I said it is far too cold up there and they said they'd try and find a heater for me but four rooms had also complained and they only had four heaters! I managed to find a maid who supplied me with another blanket for the night but ended up sleeping in my clothes! I def would not stay there again and certainly do not recommend it.

Room Tip: Do not choose room overlooking left side of the hotel in winter but would be okay for summer. Check...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Delyse S

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your stay.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused and have passed your comments onto our housekeeping and maintenance managers, as well as our head chef to be resolved.

I appreciate you taking the time to leave this feedback so we have the opportunity to resolve these issues.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We arrived today to a warm reception. The room we had requested, one with no shower over the bath so we got a disabled room, is clean, refurbished, pretty sparsely furnished, but plenty of room. No mini bar, but that is ok. We have a rest in the bar downstairs. We stay here a few times a year because of my husband's appointments at the RPA. This hotel is not the best we have stayed at and by no means the worst. Our room is clean and the queen bed is comfortable. Lately we have always dined at Rowleys, in the hotel. So convenient for us. Our meals have always been good. Tonight we had two steaks (one rump and one sirloin). Our steaks were cooked to our taste. The garlic bread was good, although I prefer more garlic. We had three glasses of wine. Our meal with bread and wine came to $71.20 which we thought good value. The lovely young Asian waitress, which we are now friends with, always looks after us. The other blonde haired waitress is also lovely. Unfortunately I have a terrible memory for names. If this hotel and restaurant were terrible, we would not return. We are always happy with our room and the service, so see no reason to take our business elsewhere. We will be back again in six months time. Thank you wonderful Rydges staff.

Room Tip: Reception lets you leave your car in their underground car park while you have your appointment at t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jackie B

Thankyou ofr your feedback

I am so glad to see you enjoyed your stay here with us, and will pass on your kind words to all staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stay at Rydges Camperdown several times a year, only because of its ideal location near RPA. Time after time we complain about the poor quality of the rooms, and the poor service we often receive, but next time there is no improvement so we don't think anyone from management is listening. This time we stayed in a Superior King Room. It was very stuffy when we entered the room, and we were disappointed to find the window had been riveted shut and the air conditioning not doing anything - plenty of noise but no air movement. In the bathroom we found the remains of a cake of soap from a previous guest which had fallen behind the hand basin, along with plenty of dust and some pubic hair! Despite booking the room for two people, there is only one chair at the small table. The next morning we requested a late checkout to allow for our appointments at RPA, and we were given a rude shock when the cleaning lady burst through the door at 9AM. She didn't knock or announce her arrival in any way. We hadn't checked out, and had requested the late checkout, so we thought this was very poor form from the cleaner - in addition to the poor cleaning job in the bathroom. We will stay there again only for our need to stay close to RPA, but I hope one day to see some improvement in the quality of the rooms and the service from the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where you can open the window.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Russell H
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your stay.
I do apologise for any inconvenience caused and have passed the issues you have addressed to our maintenance and housekeeping managers to be resolved as quickly as possible.
I am very sorry the service you have received has not been to our usual standards as we do endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations where ever we can.
We do hope to welcome you back to our hotel and leave a better lasting impression during your next stay.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We arrived on a very warm afternoon and checked in as Rydges Priority Guests. So far so good until we got to our room to find the afternoon sun streaming through the window making the room extremely warm. Naturally we then turned on the air-conditioning to find it pumping out more hot air which when we inquired, we were informed by staff it couldn't be altered as it was centrally controlled and because our window wasn't able to be opened we were then given a fan to help circulate the air. We requested to be moved to a room that had a window that could be opened but that wasn't available until the next day. After an uncomfortable night we went down to the restaurant as our booking included a full buffet breakfast to then be told that our rate was for room only. We went elsewhere to eat as we had nothing available to substantiate otherwise. Later that day I did have access to our booking to find that breakfast was indeed included so we notified reception the next morning when the restaurant insisted once again that it wasn't included. It was found by reception that it was indeed an error so we then went into breakfast. On checking out we notified staff of consuming a diet coke from the mini bar which we were charged for and we were also charged for the two coffees we had had at breakfast. No compensation for the breakfast we were meant to have on the first morning and no apology for the mix up. I hate to think what sort of treatment we would have received if we hadn't been priority guestsI I doubt that we will ever stay again and certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Insist on having a room that has an opening window.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Susan_Ebejer
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for your review.
I do apologise for the inconvenience caused during your stay, as we do always strive to go above and beyond for all of our guests.
These issues have been addressed with the appropriate team members to prevent this happening again, and without your feedback we may not have known about them.
We do hope to welcome you back to our hotel again and prove to you we can 'get it right'! Please contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss this.