“Cockroaches, Dilapidated Room, Over-Priced”
Review of Rydges Camperdown

Rydges Camperdown
Ranked #155 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Vancouver
“Cockroaches, Dilapidated Room, Over-Priced”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My room was incredibly dilapidated, and there were open holes in the bathroom walls from unfinished renovations. Not only was there a cockroach in the bathroom, but the shower head was not properly installed and sprayed everywhere. The walls are very thin and you can clearly hear conversations in adjacent rooms.

This place is very poor value for money, and I would recommend avoiding it.

3 Thank AlpineExeter
Robert O, Front Office Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Mr Aechtner,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

My sincerest apologies for the less than desirable experience you had during your stay. While I can assure you that this is not the standards we pride ourselves on, I can only hope that this does not affect your overall impressions of Rydges Hotels & Resorts in general.

As always, please feel free to contact me directly should you want to discuss further. Otherwise, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Regards
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Vietnamese first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed here for a work-related course for 6 nights due to its location near Sydney University & RPA hospital. The place is pretty run-down, with some patch-ups along the way in an attempt to make it look a little better. Certainly by other Australian city prices this place is very expensive for what you get, but maybe it's what you get for the price in Sydney.
Some comments:
- Quite a large room with an opening window which was good.
- Heater worked well.
- Decor very tired and dated. Flat-screen TV but the resolution setting was out so the picture didn't fit in the screen.
- Alarm clock not working at all.
- Bathroom old and dated. New bathroom sink but the rest was straight from the 1970s.
- Staff were fine.
- Room really needs a good clean. Dirty marks on all the light switches and benches. I think the cleaners do the bare essentials, but the bits they obviously don't touch really stick out and are pretty gross really.
- The pillows were flat and thin. Other Rydges I've stayed in have a really comfy bed and a pillow menu - don't expect this here!
I would avoid staying here again unless I really needed to, largely for the reasons of location near Sydney Uni/RPA and price relative to other Sydney hotels.

2 Thank PinotNoir_F1
Robert O, Front Office Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Our sincerest apologies your expectations were not met during your stay. I have taken your feedback on board and have passed to the team accordingly.

If you would like to discuss this in further details, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Your time and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Front Office Manager

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed for a week whilst touring so chose here for the cheaper parking rates than downtown Sydney. Room was ok, bed was comfy and the staff were nice. But room was in need of renovation - the curtains were dirty and torn and the carpet looked dirty although seemed fairly new. Bathroom was old and in need of a thorough scrub in the corners. A good 20-40 mins bus ride into town depending on traffic. Would only return if budget conscious and had car with us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of the parking rates we had at the hotel for the duration of your stay. Thank you also for the detailed feedback regarding the room. I'll be sure to pass this on to our team accordingly.

Thank you again for your time and feedback - it is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Recently my family and I needed to make an emergency trip to RPA for my father who was ICU. We booked the Rydges only for the convenience of it's closeness to the hospital and it's secure underground parking facility. The room was just a basic room nothing more. On our second day of stay my brother came to visit my father and paid for a car space in the underground carpark. He paid, parked his car and walked to the hospital. On return to the room for a cuppa, he decided to go down and retrieve a couple of bags he had brought with him. He returned to the room telling us his car has been broken into and our bags in the boot had been stolen!!!! Within 2 hours, someone had entered the carpark (which needed a security card to open) smashed one of his side windows and stolen our bags. The manager was informed, police came and took a statement and inventory of what was stolen and that was that. We waited to be approached by management for some kind of compensation but that was all we did.. waited. The next day we again waited for someone to approach us with some sort of 'compassionate' compensation offer but nothing. We needed to book another few days of accommodation and asked since the car was broken into on their property and our belongings including money and medication was stolen would they at least waiver a night's accommodation...??? The reply we recieved left us shaking our heads and disgusted. The reply was "Why would you think we would give you a night for free, when there is nothing wrong with your room?" Hmmmm maybe it's called "sorry for what happened to you during your stay with our hotel chain, please enjoy a complimentary night on us"

I was FUMING!! My mum was handing over her card to pay for another 3 nights accommodation when the manager then said "I can give you the room at a reduced rate" and rambled off a discount so minimal it was insulting. I told my mum to put her card back in her purse and we would find other accommodation and another hotel chain that would appreciate our business and not treat us like we didn't matter.

At such an emotional time with my father in hospital on life support, a little compassion and understanding would have been nice to see from such a hotel chain. We felt like we were second rate, even third rate guests.

Never again will me or my family be staying in a Rydges hotel. The way we were treated during and after the theft was appalling. Management should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Jelly2850
Robert O, Front Office Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Jelly2850,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

While it is unfortunate that this incident occured during your stay, as mentioned in our numerous discussions, this is the first time of such incident happening at our hotel. It is sad, and indeed concerning that this can happen in an undercover carpark and again, we extend our sincerest apologies for the loss of property in your vehicle, as well as the emtional toll this has taken on your family during this very difficult time.

I am sorry that the level of support and assistance offered during this incident was not to your satisfaction. As a business we are well aware of the varying level of liabilities that apply in these circumstances, and sincerely hope that your insurance company were able to provide you with the necessary support as expected by your brother and family.

Our undercover parking is a facility of convenience offered to our guest, and is priced the same as our outdoor parking spaces. Given the complex natures of liability that could be applied, unfortunately, this is something we have not offered in the past, and would not consider offering in the future.

Once again, I invite you to provide any further feedback to myself and my team should you wish to discuss further. Otherwise, we sincerely wish you and your family our best wishes during this time.

Warmest regards
Port Macquarie Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had an early morning Hosp. Appointment & Tests the next day ,so it was a convenient place
to stay. We were given a Disabled room ( not asked for as we are not disabled) which was in
need of a good clean, especially the bathroom & the carpet was threadbare & quite stained, however the bed was comfortable (or maybe we were dead tired from travelling !!!) anyway for
one night it was O.K. - but certainly not value for the money ? Staff were excellent.

Ours was a health trip to visit Hosp.

Room Tip: Inquire what sort of room & where it is situated & what level - higher the better.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Robert O, Front Office Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Helen H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am disappointed that your stay was not to standard. Your feedback is appreciated and I will be sure to share this with the team for our continuous improvements.

Thank you again for your time.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Was disappointed. Receptionists were lovely though. That's where it stops. Big hole in bathroom wall and hair dryer on wall dirty. Toilet seat had someone else's excrement mark on it and shower head was broken and was clogged up anyway and took ages for the hot water to heat up. The compendiums were no use old and daggy. there is no wifi in the rooms unless you have a "cord" which surprised me for sydney and rydges. Went down for breakfast and whilst there was plenty of no so fresh bread and loads of wheat filled goodies, there were no eggs left, there was one dried out half tomato, no sliced fresh fruit, there was tinned fruit but one bowl was empty so there was only pears left . The girl at the coffe machine seemed to be on her own and the breakfast was not being replenished, just not good enough if you have to head off in a hurry. Would not go back there if I had a choice. Overall I thought it was all very tired and run down, except for the receptionists, they were excellent. The bed was comfortable though.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ruth F
Robert O, Front Office Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Ruth F,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a detailed feedback on your recent stay.

I am indeed disappointed that some of the basic expected standards of our hotel were not delivered for your stay and as such, will be including this in our management meeting for further discussion and to address accordingly. It appears that our expectations and what was delivered during your stay were a mismatch, and I thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback.

If there is anything I can assist you with in the future, or if you want to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Although renovated the rooms are still run down, corridors musty and bar and restaurant area below par. When I stayed no one was manning the bar during happy hour and i had to go to reception to get service.

Great location handy for Sydney Uni and Newtown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear anthony P,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I appreciate you pointing out that our location is indeed convenient for Sydney Uni and Newtown, but your other comments are most definitely important for us to consider moving forward on how we need to continue to improve on our product offering.

I will be sharing this with the team and appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this feedback.