“Large spacious room, dated decor, hole in bathroom wall & peeling paint”
Review of Rydges Camperdown

Rydges Camperdown
Ranked #158 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed April 22, 2013

No doubt an impressive hotel when built, this hotel suffers from lack of investment. The staff were pleasant and my room service meal was tasty. However, the rusted shower rail, peeling paint and large hole in the wall under the shower were inexcusable.
The bones of this hotel are good - my room was large and spacious with a large window. However, the lighting was so dim it was difficult to see, the clock/radio did not work and one bedside lamp did not work. The restaurant has been renovated, a step in the right direction. At present, a two star hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Warwickite
Robert O, Front Office Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Warwickite,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

While I am pleased that you could see the positives of an older building, I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for some of the basic things not being met as per our standards.

We do pride ourselves on providing a product and service that is of value and a higher standard, and am disappointed that this has not been the case in this instance. If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel on 02 9516 1522.

Thank you once again for your time and feedback - it is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Arrived at rydges friendly reception staff ,carpark a nightmare we have a 4wd nxt time bring sedan to sydney.Got off elevator to a sickly musty smell the hallways reeked,the room however did not,very dated rooms bed comfy pillows werent,had one hot shower the afternoon we arrived cold ones from then on.Very poor set up with wires for wi fi phone tv etc glad we didnt have small children wires everywhere phone socket not covered all exposed.Housemaids removed our face washers which were hanging up took them didnt replace them.On our way to the pool we had to go down some stairs and were confronted by at least 200 cigarette butts all over the stairs and landing based on your prices you must be able to afford an outside cleaner yuk.this place need tlc

Room Tip: dont believe the pictures you see on website
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank linda r

Dear linda r,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

While it is disappointing to read about your experience during your stay with us, I am grateful that you have taken the time to provide us with this feedback for our review. For this, please accept my sincerest apologies, and trust that this feedback has been taken on board seriously by the management team.

If you would like to discuss further your stay with us, please feel free to contac me directly at the hotel on 02 9516 1522.

Your time is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Got a fabulous rate for what was a busy weekend in Sydney, found this hotel to be very comfortable and hotel staff were friendly and courteous. there is a Bus stop at the Hotel door with buses that take you into george st and the railway station is a 15 minute walk, although a little dated the service and benefits of being a rewards member offer you some lovely VIP perks and discounts that you wont get at many other places including complimentary late check outs!

Room Tip: You have the choice of City view rooms for a little extra.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Rob_melb,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am pleased to read your 'fabulous' rate was complimented by the very comfortable stay and friendly staff. Our convenient location is matched by the frequent buses at our doorstep into the city.

I am also pleased to hear that you made the most of the perks of being a member of our Priority Guest Rewards program as it most certainly makes a difference to some of our offerings, including the complimentary late check out.

As mentioned, your time and feedback is greatly appreciated. And we hope that your next stay will include a fabulous rate and the service to match when you're next in Sydney.

Thank you once again.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was very impressed by the staff whilst booking my accommodation, especially Jessica. She took the time to explain pricing and the benefits of becoming a Rydges member. I understand that from time to time issues arise that take time to be dealt with when operating a motel. But when your card to the room does not work it can cause major inconvenieces. We walked home from a wonderful show at the Enmore Theatre when it started to rain, we got to the motel and was not able to enter the building because our room card that didn't work, which also gave us access to the building was taken from us. We waited outside, wet from the rain until another customer needed a smoke so they could let us in. Then we waited at reception for a while for a staff member to let us into our room but there were no staff around. I eventually decided to phone the motel hoping someone would answer. The phone rang for quite some time and then a staff member came to reception. There was no apology for our inconvenience, he just took us to our room and let us in, still no card to let ourselves in if we needed to go out again. I don't usually complain but if given the option on checkout I was going to say something but we were not asked about our stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert O, Front Office Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Maree W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Thank you also for recgnising Jessica and the impressive service she provided you when boking your accommodation. However, I am disappointed to see that this was not continued throughout your stay. Excellence in customer experience is something we pride ourselves on at Rydges Camperdown and I apologise that this was not the case in this instance.

I sincerely hope that when next in Sydney, you would give us the chance to host you as our guest once more, and hopefully improve on this experience to a standard tha we are proud of here.

If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me directly at the property.

Your time and feedback is appreciated.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I believe that if you remodel your bathrooms and take out the bath tubs in most rooms you would cut the cleaning down by an extraordinary amount by not having to clean bath tubs.
As for older customers and customers that have mobility difficulties they would find it hard to climb in and out of and only have bathtubs in certain rooms and have like a wet room where there is no steps or shower curtains or doors more user friendly.
The hotel used to be reasonably priced but now its very expensive and on a good note the beds were really comfy oh and it also helps if all elevators are in working order

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jo T,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Thank you also for the suggestion with regards to the bathrom. I would also like to mention that we do have a few selected rooms where this has been done with open showers specifically for those guests with limited mobility and have this option as a preference. I am sorry if this was not offered to you on arrival, as we have 6 of these rooms designed for this purpose.

With regards to our pricing, we continue to review this to ensure we are both competitive and economical in our offering for our guests.

I sincerely hope that you choose to stay with us and take advantage of some of our promotional specials that are available from time to time.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

The hotel location is good when you will need to go to the University of Sydney for some business-related functions, but...if you travel for leisure, you will not find this hotel comfortable enough. The rooms are not clean and furnishings are too old. I can't walk on the carpet barefoot as it looks really dirty. The bed sheets were not even changed for 4 days that I stayed there. The price is too much for the services and quality of rooms they have to offer. Staff were friendly and accommodating though...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Master_M728

Dear MasterM_728,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We are pleased to see that you have noted the convenient location of our property during your stay. However, I am disappointed to read that the standards we pride ourselves on at Rydges Camperdown with regards to the cleanliness of the rom was not met during your stay. While we note that the building we occupy is 'older', there are some noted advantages to this, such as the large rooms and space it provides for our guests, especially where there are 2 and 3 beds in the rooms.

I will be sure to pass on this feedback to my team accrdingly and work to ensure that this is not a recurring issue. And given the chance, we would welcome the opportunity to host you on a future stay when next in Sydney.

Thank you once again for your feedback as it is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Conveniently located near Newtown. Large room and comfortable bed. The hotel met all our needs for our stay, and as it was cheaper than most hotels in the city it was good value for us. Had a minor issue with our room and it was dealt with promptly and generously. Would stay here again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Nicole W,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am pleased to hear that your experience on your recent stay with us was a positive one. We do aim to provide a value proposition that is competitively priced and caters to the requirements of our guests. I am pleased to hear that the 'minor issue' you had with your room was dealt with promptly and generously.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we hope to welcome you back when you are next in Sydney.

Kindest regards,