“Extremely Overpriced - paying for convenience.”
Review of Rydges Camperdown

Rydges Camperdown
Ranked #157 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for it's proximity to RPAH. The room we had needs updating badly. The bed was very comfortable, but the rest of the room was badly in need of attention. The bathroom had mildew around the the edge of the shower/bath, and it looked like paint had been spilt on the floor whenever it was last painted - certainly not recently. Everything in the bar fridge was frozen solid, and the dress mirror had fallen onto the floor (with corner damage) and was just left resting against the wall. The air-conditioning worked well but dripped water out of the vent. The tea/coffee making facilities were very primitive, and not even a complimentary biscuit! There was no remote for the TV and when we got one it didn't work properly. Staff were aloof and disinterested. I have stayed at this hotel in the past but it is run down and out-dated now. I am a supposed "Priority Guest" but would not recommend it now.

1  Thank 59Kathy59
Rydges C, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

It’s great to hear you enjoyed the Rydges Dream Beds during your stay, many guests even choose to purchase one after they have stayed in a Rydges hotel.

Thank you for your review and constructive comments, I will ensure your feedback notes are shared with the entire team so the correct action is taken. It is extremely disappointing to hear of the lack of helpful customer service, as friendly attentive service from our staff, is something we very much pride ourselves on.

We do hope to see you another time so that you can see that ,Cheers

Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel is in need of updating, paint and repair. My room had no working internet (it was only wired, no wireless at all in hotel), no working TV and there was no thermostat in the room. The air conditioning is only on or off so the room is either very cold or airless. There is wireless internet in the lobby area, however only enough place for 4 people to sit, so that was an issue for many of the guests who had to stand up to use it.

Other guests were continuously complaining. One guest couldn't enter her room as the key card reader didn't work, so she had to be escorted to her room by one of the staff every time she left her room.

The bathroom outlets had been moved and a huge area of plaster unfinished. There was mold growing on the bottom of the shower curtain and very dirty burners on their hot plate.

Breakfast is mediocre. The food was always ice cold and the eggs runny and watery. Coffee also terrible with an extra charge for real coffee (rather than what seemed to be weak instant coffee in the thermoses). VERY expensive for the state this hotel is in.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
4  Thank abetter1

Thank you for your honest feedback.

I will be sharing your comments with the Housekeeping and Maintenance team so that they are aware of the issues you have pointed out.

Our complimentary wifi is available in the hotel lobby, as well as our restaurant and bar area, however I will be addressing your comments regarding the internet service in your room with our internet provider.

We do genuinely appreciate all reviews and feedback from our guests, as it gives us the opportunity to improve our service and product standards, so thank you again for taking the time to provide your review.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel is past its sell-by date. The rooms and public areas need a make-over and certainly they do not justify the high prices charged. Moreover the pool area is like an unkempt backyard with no loungers and to cap it all, the pool was closed indefinitely when I was there. The breakfast was one redeeming feature but at an extra cost! I was charged for a bottle of wine I had not ordered nor was I offered the discount of 15% for stays of two consecutive nights which I subsequently discovered was available. Travelodges are much better value and often in more convenient locations.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floor and at the front have a good view of the city by night.
2  Thank Robert100

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to hear your stay was not a pleasant as it could have been. Unfortunately in mid February Sydney did see a lot of rain and our pool had to be closed due to extra cleaning & maintenance required.

We do apologise for this inconvenience, and hope that we may have the chance to prove to you that we can get it right. Thanks again for your feedback, Cheers

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with my husband during a week that we spent in Sydney for a symposium at the University of Sydney. The location was good for us, a bit far from the center, but has good bus connection, and in 10 min you are in the downtown. Service is nice, rooms are old, but clean, breakfast is unbeleivably expensive. Go out and have a decent Sydney breakfast at a nice cafe just outside half price!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Alslonik
Rydges C, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Great to our location was perfect for your needs. We have many guests stay who are in Sydney to visit RPA Hospital or the University, its very convenient for them to be able to simply cross the road.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, hope to have you and your husband stay with us when you are in Sydney next. Cheers

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Was very sceptical about staying here, after reading the reviews. The price was good and honestly, I've stayed in some bad places, paying much more. Check in was pleasant, and they let me have the room at 11.00 am, which was great. Parking at front door and underneath. Location is perfect for RPA and uni. our room was pretty big, beds were comfy, but bathroom was very old, however it was immaculately clean. Maid was lovely and could not do enough for us the next morning when leaning our room. Breakfast was $18 as I prebooked it at counter, but was very cold and disappointing. They have a makeshift breakfast room as the restaurant is being renovated, o maybe this is why. Plenty of cafes around though. Pool was disappointing so we never ended up using it. I would definitely stay here again . As far as value goes, I wasn't disappointed at all.

Room Tip: try to pay the extra for city view as its a lot nicer than looking out the back
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank loveegypt

Thanks so much for your lovely review! It’s great to read you enjoyed your stay here and I’m glad we were able to assist with an 11am check-in, we know it always helps when you arrive early!

Look forward to having you back in the future now that you know where we are. Cheers

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel on several occasions and in a previous review found it to be adequate for our needs. Our stay in January however did not meet the usual Rydges standard.

Upon arrival reception staff were rather surly and not very welcoming. I was surprised as staff have usually been pleasant and not really what I need to confront after a long six hour drive. Upon arrival we found housekeeping to be rather poor as used food trays and towels were left in the corridor at 4pm. Not a great sight when exiting the elevator. This continued throughout our stay.
We stayed in a family room on the fifth floor and found the window latch to be broken - dangerous as the window pushed out without assistance. We had to keep the window closed for the duration of our stay and this made the room extremely hot.
Our room cards repeatedly failed and we had to have them recut. This was an inconvenience as we were all out doing separate things during the day.

We experienced extremely loud noise from adjoining rooms on one night but decided to let it go. However the noise was repeated the following evening and I rang reception to make a complaint. Night shift Staff were efficient and pleasant and attended to the problem however the noise then moved to the corridor and the following morning we found rubbish deposited outside our room - I daresay left by the offending guests! I advised reception in the morning and they did dispatch housekeeping to remove the rubbish however their attitude was quite nonchalant which disturbed me.
I am a regular customer at this and other Rydges Hotels and I feel the service could have been better. This is a pity because the hotel is in a very convenient location for us when we visit Sydney, and I am now considering looking for alternative accommodation. My previous stays have generally been pleasant however there is usually at least one maintenance issue. This may have been an unusually unfortunate experience, however, rooms, maintenance and service need serious upgrading if Rydges expects to keep it's loyal customers.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank angb61

Thank you for your review and I’m truly disappointed to hear your last stay was not to the standard you have experienced during previous stays. I can assure you that your feedback regarding customer service and cleanliness has been shared with the team here.

We would like the opportunity to have you back again to show you the issues you had experienced were a once off and prove to you that we are able to get it right.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and provide us with constructive feedback, and we do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in Rydges Camperdown. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The place was clean and the room was spacious but the furniture, bathroom and carpet looked old and worn out. You can only use the wifi in the lobby - not in the rooms, which we expected at this pricelevel. The hotel is fairly close to Sydney CBD and the bus leaves right outside the hotel.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review, it was very pleasing to read your comments about the team. We’re delighted you enjoyed your 4 night stay with us, and we do hope to see you another time.