“Friendly, clean hostel, would definitely stay again”
Review of Zing Backpackers

Zing Backpackers
Ranked #38 of 140 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Friendly, clean hostel, would definitely stay again”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I have been staying at Zing for 5 nights and I love it. It's one of the best hostels I've been in.
The kind of people that come here are either working or looking for work, are very friendly and social, mostly people travelling alone, a communal and family atmosphere, no one that is 'clichey'. However just because people are working/looking, it doesn't mean that it's boring here. There is just the right level of socialising (going out one or two nights in the week, and then at the weekends) and also being quiet after 10pm when the outside area is shut.
It's very central in the Kings Cross area which is apparently the 'Soho of Sydney' but I think it's a very good location - not over populated with tourists like the centre.
The hostel rate is also very good - 25$ a night for a dorm.
Only downfalls are there could be a bigger social area. The TV room is good but can get crammed.
They also have free breakfast which surprisingly saves a lot of money and is a nice way of greeting people in the morning!

I would definitely come back and have already decided that I would stay here if/when I come back to work!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Stayed in this place for 5 nights in various dorms, the rooms were a good size and all bathrooms were clean. Plenty of hot water. Kitchen got busy at times but not a problem at all. The staff are really laid back and nothing is a problem for them to sort out. We had to switch rooms a few times because we extended our stay late and they were very accomodating when trying to sort the rooms so we could be in the same dorm. Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Great Northwest
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Zing!, formerly Travellers Rest, is apparently owned by Sydney Central Backpackers (either that or Zing! stole their website). Based on the reviews of Travellers Rest, Zing! is a massive improvement. We spent 4 nights in a private double, and found it to be clean, new, fairly quiet, well staffed, and in a great location.

Pluses:
Free airport pickup (with 3-night minimum stay)
Free breakfast (though they only buy enough fruit for 10 or so people)
Free internet & wi-fi (though the wi-fi reception is AWFUL. You have to be next to the office to receive the signal)
Very friendly and helpful staff
Very clean (bathrooms cleaned several times a day)
Newly remodeled
Enforced quiet after 10:30pm
Great King's Cross location, but on a quiet residential street
Great prices- intro price of $65 for a private double, which in Sydney is a steal
Sink, electric kettle, and mini-fridge in the private double!

Minuses:
A lot of long-timers stay here, not a ton of tourists
Crappy wi-fi reception (though it is free)
They're still getting the kinks worked out- at first I was charged for my entire stay, instead of one night's deposit; then I was charged again for my deposit. Emails cleared it up very quickly, however, and my credit card was easily refunded.
During "the worst summer in a generation," our room was still stiflingly hot. We had a ceiling fan, but I think it was installed incorrectly because NO breeze was generated.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cool_jonez
east kilbride
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We booked a weeks stay here in a double room on our 2nd week in Australia.
Our room was up a steep flight of stairs which did not feel safe at all! There was a sink (with no hot water) a fridge (full of mould) a bunk bed with the bottom bunk half the size of a double bed, dirty mattress and sheets, a single wardrobe which was falling to pieces and was also filthy. It rained heavily most of the week and water poured in through the ceiling, onto the worktop which had most of our personal belongings on it (mobile phone, passports, ipods) through a light fitting on the wall and soaked the already filthy carpet inside and outside our room. when we told staff and asked to move rooms we were told no as we had already paid for the room and they placed dirty towels on the floor to soak up the water, all this did was soak through the towels and leave dirty marks showing how filthy the carpets were.
Toilets and shower rooms were located at the end of our floor and one down the stairs, all were dirty and in much need of a coat of paint with flaking walls and rusty parts. I had a shower one morning, left the shower gell for my boyfriend, went upstairs, he then went straight down to find the shower gell had been taken! Not good!
Kitchen was tiny for the amount of guests, old chipped and dirty crockery with limited amounts, limited clothes and sponges and all in good need of a wash. Cookers barely worked, ovens non existent and limited hot water.
Overall not a very pleasant week!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank michybbz

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Rats in the kitchen!!!!!!! Please DO NOT GO THERE!!!!!
This place is the worst I have ever seen in my life!!!!!!
We also saw cockroaches in the bed room!!!!!!!!!

When people at reception were told abut the insects and rats they responded that in a city like Sidney this is absolutely normal. I couldn't believe my hears and I have checked out.

I went to Chili Blue next door which, despite being a party place it's clean at least.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Stayed here for a week when I just moved to Sydney. The place is in a great location - minutes away from restaurants/ shops/ etc...
Rooms - The room was furnished with a fridge and a AC. There was no AC control and I had to always stand on the window to switch it on and off. There was a musty smell in the room which stayed there throughout my stay.
Service - It isn't a hotel so its all self serve. The receptionist Joe was very polite and helpful. Also if you catch the cleaners around they are more than happy to help you.
The bathrooms were always clean. The kitchen was small and only 1 person could cook at a time - they had only one cooker. Additionally they closed it at 10.30pm so if you wanted to cook or heat food after that time your out of luck.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2011

I just checked into this place into a double room and am very impressed with it. it's basically a studio apartment without the private bathroom.

I live in Sydney and stay in hostels coz the rental market is so horrible. I see myself staying here for at least a few months as I am so impressed with this place.

The staff were so friendly when I checked in and they had just defrosted the fridge and not one, but two staff members came to check that everything was okay.

I am very impressed with this place.

They also have modern amenities which makes for a brilliant stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo