“Made great friends but the manager (dan) is useless”

The Palms Backpackers
The Palms Backpackers
Ranked #100 of 150 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

When I first arrived me and my friend clean our room and bathroom top to bottom, we had no air con. The manger (dan) chucks out people just for the fun of it and does nothing around the hostel! If the manager actually done some work this would be a great hostel.. It's in a great location near central, yes kings cross isn't great but nightlife right on your door step and Potts point is lovely area for coffees and lunch... I also made some great friends here but I would only go back if the management was changed!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Kara_mct

Reviewed February 15, 2012

In all my months of traveling, most of which through Asia which is notoriously bad...this hostel in Sydney was the worst hostel I've ever stayed in.

The guy on reception seemed to not care at all, was really blaze about everything. The downstairs communal area was a state, people's belongings everywhere on the floor, the kitchen was simply - a hole. Looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks and we didn't dare cook in the there.

My partner and I had a private room which was terrible - a double mattress atop a 6 foot high metal frame which was so rickety it felt as if we were on a water bed it moved so much. The room was boiling hot with a tiny window that looked out into the alley, which meant we had zero breeze coming in. We had a dirty fan in the room which hadn't seen a duster in years...but as our bed was up near the ceiling we couldn't get any of it's breeze either! The room smelt, the window, mirror and bin was disgustingly filthy.

Cockroaches roamed the walls on the upstairs landing, so i dread to think how many were down in that kitchen...

The toilet next to our room was pretty gross too - hair all over the floor where the cleaner thought it was simply enough to swirl the mop around and not actually pick the hairs up. One morning we found a condom in the toilet.

The guests that stay here treat it like a doss house - they're weren't any staff there at night so it was a mad house till 4 in the morning every night which meant we were like zombies every morning. I know the other guests were obviously on holiday or whatever too but you would expect staff to be on hand to keep the noise to a minimum for the consideration of other guests.

The bad thing is that this review won't change anything because the hostels in Kings Cross will always get trade but there are always youngsters backpacking and looking for a cheap deal. My partner and I are mid 20s and were in the middle of selling our campervan and looking for jobs and a place to live, which is why we stayed at Palms for a week...NEVER AGAIN.

I would not recommend this place to mature people, or people who are here for the sight and interesting aspects of Sydney. If you want to get drunk and do drugs every night and not sleep, and have no standards - then the The Palms is for you.

No Air con, no en-suite, wifi isn't free - has very stingy limits on it and signal is poor.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LBJP2013
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We stayed 5 nights and realised this was more of a student house. Everyone knew each other and had been there a long time, therefore nobody had time for us.
The staff were rarely there, even saying at one time they were off to get drugs.
One out of 4 cookers worked, even then you needed a lighter. As this is a "student" house it was a mess. Food all over the benches, writting on furniture, and people with no respect for anyone but themselves.
The room hadn't been cleaned well. There was dirty crockery left and stained sheets. Cockroaches, and plenty of mosquitos!
Oh and the noise.... you won't sleep for the constant loud music and slamming of doors.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HimandHer s
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Located round the corner from Kings Cross, it's down an unlit side street. When we arrived, it was not clear who was actually working there and the guy who checked us in didn't seem to have a clue what he was doing (and openly admitted he had no working visa to work legally in Australia). No one wanted to go and find out the number for the safe (as the manager wasn't available) so that we could have a room key and we were tired after a long flight, with heavy packs on our backs.

The plus points for this place are the free wifi and free breakfast. The beds are comfortable, decent mattress and duvet and the sheets were clean. And they recommended the free walking tour, which we did and thoroughly enjoyed. On the flipside, it's generally grubby and run down and there's no real management/authority to keep it running smoothly. Barely any of the hobs in the kitchen worked and a lot of the pans were missing their handles, as was the fridge doors.

In addition, a few of the people staying there seemed to have been there a long time, despite there being a sign stating maximum stay 28 days. The communal areas were not large and these people all seemed to congregate so that you felt in the way. One girl in our dorm spread her stuff all over the place and left every night at 10pm caked in makeup and a wig, returning at 4am to put the light on and shuffle around noisily with no regard for those who were sleeping.

So generally, if you can spare a bit more, then go somewhere else, but if you're on a real tight budget, it would do for a couple of nights.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Russellosborne
Reviewed December 4, 2010

I have read the posts here and noticed that some people are right that it is not the best looking and does not have the best breakie, but it has a great location with 2 supermarkets close by and a bunch of bars and some great Donair stands and free internet with wifi which is not common in OZ hostels. I have made so many friends at this hostel for my 4 weeks I stayed there. Dan is the manager, he is good guy and is fair and Jackson is the night manager and it is true you might find him passed out on the couch after a rocking saturday night party, but he does his best to help you out with what you need. We had a "fancy dress party" or costume party to north americans like myself which was fun. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm with our own washroom that was clean and everything worked. It was a bit loud and I know because I was partly responsible for the noise. But all in all it depends what you are looking for in a hostel. Are you simply looking for a place to put your head and sleep and not talk to anyone ? then no it's not that great a place. But if you are going to have a fun time, meet new people who become almost like family and go to bars or clubs with and tell you about where to go and stay away from their trips. Then this place is awesome.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank SgtHatred
Reviewed September 21, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed in the palms for a couple of weeks during July and I can't fault the place! it was clean enough better than many other hostels we've stayed at and there is a few! The beds were comfy and the value for money is brilliant! As for the people who moan about the 'longtermers', they obviously aren't very sociable as we found everone very friendly and welcoming once we spoke to them! Free breakfast yes it was toast and jam but what else do you expect? Free tea and coffee with milk all day everyday and free wifi were other bonuses as well as location and a supermarket a minute walk away! And yes it does get noisy at nights on weekends but you've got to expect that in any hostel apart from maybe a yha!

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank Tom9uk
Reviewed July 27, 2010

very unprofessional managment, the manager himself is never there and when he is he is rude and unhelpful and just a bit of a creep really, the reception is open 4 hours a day and there are constantly backpackers coming in with no clue as what to do becuase there is never any one at the reception. they have backpackers who work for accomadation, but when they are on duty they are usually hungover so you have to get someone to go to their room to wake them up so you can check in/ check out. this place is mainly for long stay backpackers and so it is very clicky and make other guests feel very unwelcome. The rooms though are quite clean, just other peoples stuff piled everywhere. other hostels are much better, this one doesnt do day trips or free food or anything like that and arn't helpful in helping you out. fri.sat nights are very loud so dont count on getting a good nights sleep! strangers and homeless people have been known to walk in, get in peoples bedrooms, steal food etc and no one bats an eyelid, the hostel is right next door to a rowdy homeless shelter. however it does have free internet!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo