I stayed at the Wake Up! hostel in Sydney for three times. The first time in November in 2013 (1 night), the second on the New Year's Eve (4 nights) and the last time in the middle of January (1 night). Wake Up! is a very good hostel, almost like a hotel because of it's size.
The reception and other chilling areas were very big and there was ex. a popular night club in down stairs and a café. I stayed in big dorms and they were all spacious and very nice, and there were big windows, cozy beds and lockers for everyone.The kitchen was well equipped and big enough.
You had to pay for using the computers or wifi, three days for wifi was something like 12 AUD. But the internet was fast and it worked well, so that was good.
The staff was very professional and helpful, and you could get free maps and tips from them. They were also fun to hang out and easy to approach.
The hostel's location was very good. It was right next to the Central Station (ex. if you came straight from the airport like us, it was very easy just to go to the Wake Up! hostel at any hour of the day cause the reception was 24/7 open). Also if you use the Greyhound Australia, the buses in Sydney leave from the Central Station.
It took about 15 min to walk from the hostel to the Darling Harbor and less than 5 min to walk to the China Town and Paddy's Market. And the last but definitely not the least; Domino's pizzeria was about 10 min walk away <3
If you wish to stay at Wake Up! hostel during the New Year's Eve or for example Christmas, you should definitely book your nights well beforehand. The hostel is very popular and it was almost all the time full booked.
There were a few minus things:
- You could use your key card only for your floor, and sometimes they didn't work.
- If you stayed in lower floors (ex. 1), you could hear the night club's music to your room in the night time.
- Don't know why but girls just didn't know how to flush the toilets and during the weekends there were a lot of people partying and going out, so especially in Saturday and Sunday mornings it didn't surprise me if I found someone's vomit in the toilets. -> So the cleaning should definitely have been better during weekends....
- There were many times when the toilet's flush didn't quite work....
- Only a few places to charge your electronics (in a big dorm there was only something like 3 plugs)
But otherwise I had a good stay. So the hostel deserves those 4 stars. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Winner '6th Best Extra Large Hostel Worldwide' and 'Most Popular Hostel in Sydney' at the 2018, 2017 & 2016 Hostelworld 'HOSCARS' awards. Wake Up! Sydney Central represents all that Sydney has to offer. It's modern, it's clean and it's the hub of backpacker activity, right in the heart of Sydney. With a fresh layout, friendly staff and funky activities, Wake Up aims to offer an experience, not just a bed Join us and experience Wake Up! Sydney today. Now with FREE High-Speed Wifi available to all guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, HostelWorld, Priceline, Agoda, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Wake Up! Sydney reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wake Up! Hotel Sydney