“Convenient Location, But Subpar Amenities”
Review of Wake Up! Sydney

Wake Up! Sydney
Ranked #4 of 149 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Wake Up! is right next to Central Station, so once you make sure you leave the right exit and head the correct direction, it's less than a block walk away. This means getting to Circular Quay or the airport is extremely quick and convenient, plus you're right in the middle of Sydney and can walk to a ton of places as well.

The rooms leave a little to be desired with the layouts. Beds aren't assigned, and while there are lockers to use, they're all up against a single wall so just leaving your bag at/underneath your bed is often easier. Aside from one or two power outlets around the perimeter of the room, the only other plugs are up on top of the lockers where you can't really use a device when it's charging. There are desks in the hallways with plugs, but if you may get told by the staff late at night that you can't be out there due to potential noise complaints.

Side Bar is unfortunately not a great place to hang out as it seems like people take advantage of being right in the heart of Sydney by going to other locations to party at night. Even after midnight there won't be a crowd, so you're better off finding another place to go in the evenings.

While there's nothing bad about Wake Up!, there are enough other hostels in the immediate vicinity that I'll probably try another place the next time I'm in Sydney.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,451)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Don't even bother going to thie wake up hostel, it's overpriced for what you'll get.

The rooms are dirty, there was chewing gum all ov the carpet in my room, which. W disgusting. The kitchen is too small and dirty, there are just about 10 forks for the whole hostel and only a couple of stoves...

The bathrooms were disgusting and the staff in the bar was very unfriendly and the wine horrible. Just book with the YHA hostel next door!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I went there in 2012 for almost 3 weeks, I had a good time. I was lucky to meet few nice girls in my room (4 bed girls). Sometimes, it was noisy in the corridor but this is the hostel atmosphere! I just did not like the loud awakening on the micro during the morning " wake up wake up wake up....." Sounded like you are at the army!lol
The kitchen was messy (be careful with your food in the storage area), the bedrooms/bathrooms were clean; it is a big hostel closed to everything in Sydney CBD.Besides, the food`s quality at the restaurant/bar is good and not really expensive.

Great information area with all the things to do in Sydney and the staff is friendly if you need help!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We only had a few days in Sydney on transit through to New Zealand and found this hostel to be in the perfect location. Short walks to anything really and the commute from the airport is just so easy. It's a big hostel, but clean enough though the rooms are not very big.

Great large information area with all the things to do in Sydney and the staff is friendly and helps you plan your stay.

All in all, we would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Having stayed in Wake Up 5 Years ago for an extended period of time it was my first choice for hostels to stay in during my time in Sydney.

I was disappointed to see that since my last stay wake up has lost the atmosphere and energy I experienced last time I stayed.

The staff on reception were incredibly busy at my arrival time (only 2 staff for what seemed to be a bus load of guests). Luckily I got there just as they arrived so checked in easily however when heading down to buy internet over an hour later I ended up waiting over 25minutes in the Que. It was frustrating during this time to see that people who obviously knew the reception staff were pushing to the front and purchasing internet top ups without waiting in the que. I found the staff abrupt and I dont think I saw one of them smile during the whole check-in process. I understand when you are busy its hard to focus so much on customer service but in reality they are providing the first impressions and this was not a welcoming one!

After this I headed to my room, it was very dark - even with the lights on! and there was only 1 power point right next to the door, less than ideal when you are on the other side of the room!

Unfortunately I also found the staff in the bar to be very uninterested and unenthusiastic. The whole vibe of the hostel is somewhat 'tired' and I am disappointed that I have recommended so many of my friends to stay here in recent years.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I would recommend this hostel, the location was ideal (especially if you have heavy luggage as its literally down the road from the station) and its pretty central.
the rooms were quite big compared to places like gilligans in cairns. it was a pretty clean place and i liked the cosy TV area they had. The wifi was pretty expensive though so i just ran across the road by the station (if you go into the travel store - i forget what its called - you can ask for their wifi code which is free & even when their closed you can stand outside and use their wifi!)

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed in this hostel for couple of nights. Before staying in Wake Up hostel we had been in couple of different and smaller hostels in Sydney within short period so we had something where to compare it. In addition we were heard that Wake Up hostel had rated one of the best hostel in Sydney or even in Australia.

However we found the hostel being expensive, sometimes noisy and there wasn't really nothing special when comparing to the other hostels is Sydney. Common areas was basically clean and a location's good just opposite central station but that's maybe all about it. In Sydney there's lots of hostels in the city centre which also have a good location so you can't really over appreciate it.
In this case we had some kind of special offer for dorm beds but we would definitely not pay the full rates of it. Which are also very high.

Firstly it is a very big hostel. When we arrived the staff was friendly but not as friendly as in hostels we've been before. I think Wake Up hostel's service was basic customer care like in official hotels. Despite of that we're traveling as a couple in the same room we had to take two keys and pay two key deposits. In many other hostels it was just fine to take a one key.
The area opposite reception was spacious and there were lots of computers. Anyway the price of the wireless network was very expensive. Don't know about computers but maybe the rate is same.

Despite of that there's lot of people a kitchen was quite small and you really couldn't cook there well during the evenings. People often left their pots and pans without washing them. So if you really had space to cook there you had to wash items before for yourself. And of course after cooking. In addition the kitchen was closed an hour in the afternoon and closed completely in the evening. So you have to always take in consider these when you want to cook your own meals.

Right on our floor there was a TV area where people were often watching movies. There's no problem with that but the TV was often playing very loudly and it was sometimes very irritating when you were eating or spending time in the kitchen area.

Showers and toilets were often clean but shower itself was the worst we ever had seen. You had to wait quite long before getting warm water. However we didn't ever get hot water but it was changing temperature all the time. In addition the nozzle of the shower was very slow and small.

We stayed in a dorm and it was spacious. There was space for a backpack even thought you couldn't put it inside of the boxes in the dorm.

All in all we found this hostel being over reviewed and over appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Checkin25
WakeUpTeam, Manager at Wake Up! Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. It is through feedback like this that we aim to continually improve our service. You'll be glad to know that we have taken it on board. We are for instance working on signficantly increasing the water pressure in the showers. We have also put in place additional measures to monitor the volume of the TV on level 1 to ensure that it doesn't disturb guests elsewhere on this floor. We also just would like to clarify that we do indeed close the kitchen down one hour per day at 2pm, in order to thoroughly clean it, and that we also close the kitchen late at night from 10pm for everyone's safety and security. It reopens promptly at 6am. Lastly, here at Wake Up we do aim to be different and to provide guests with an experience, not just a bed. If we do have the pleasure of your company again in the future, why not try one of our FREE city orientation tours or our coastal walk from Coogee to Bondi beach. Walks usually go all day from 11am to 4pm, and all particpants receive a FREE beer or wine afterwards! Also, if you are bored later at night why not try to meet some fellow travellers in Side Bar or our cafe, both open late!