“Three words: location, location, location!”
Review of Wake Up! Sydney

Wake Up! Sydney
Ranked #4 of 143 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

I had a last minute booking here for a private room when my hotel reservation didn't pan out and wasn't disappointed. Being a hostel, it does have basic amenities - don't expect 5 star luxury but they were good enough for the stay given that you'll mostly be out of your room doing touristy things anyway. Check in was a breeze, staff were helpful, engaged and all smiles - they looked like they were having a lot of fun doing their jobs! The room was basic but had a TV and a good view of the central station from the 5th floor. It wasn't too noisy and my room was on the higher floors so that helped. Easy walking distance to the sights and the main train station. The shared toilet could use better cleaning but I guess it's the guests themselves who really don't care about the cleanliness - though I never found it too filthy (just use slippers!) and it was quite well-maintained. Their cafe have a good selection of eats - loved their wholemeal pancakes and hot chocolate. They have a dedicated tour desk manned by an awesome lady who recommended to me the best Blue Mountains tour - she even asked me after the trip how it was to ensure that I had a great time. Now that's first class service! :)

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank JGA_23
There are newer reviews for Wake Up! Sydney

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here whilst finding my feet in Sydney. It was the ideal base and the only place that I stayed we're I didn't see a single cockroach! And they are everywhere! I was pleasantly surprised by this place and think it was great value. I stayed in a number of different mixed dorms within the hostel some a bit more clean than others, I think they should Hoover the carpets a bit more frequently. The staff were so helpful and friendly. The hostel is mainly full of young backpackers on the next leg of their trips and I was worried that it would be really noisy but only the odd night. Had some food downstairs in the bar which was really reasonably especially for an expensive city such as Sydney. I would recommend this place and if I needed an affordable place to stay I would book it again.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 31, 2013

great location, was quite a fun joint with heaps of activites like beach walks & stuff !!!!!!!!!!! good night life ect!!! Sydney itself I wasn't a fan of!1 too busy and just a big city really!!! but you have to do these things like the bridge!!!! would reccommend the hostel just not the city!!!! Get uo the coast for more fun ,sun & party!!!!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

My experience at WakeUp started off OK and then quickly went sour. We had to switch rooms mid-way through our stay. Our new room wasn't ready before we needed to leave for the day so the staff told us we could put our luggage in the LOCKED area to the side of the front desk/reception. This area was locked and only accessible by staff with a key.

We came back later that night to find that both of my bags and several other guest bags had been ripped open and rummaged through. My laptop was stolen. The management did not want to own up to being responsible. After much prodding, one of the managers confirmed to me that they had video footage and it was a member of their cafe staff who was caught on video taking the laptop.

Weeks later I'm still trying to get them to own up to taking responsibility. They're insisting it wasn't their staff, but this does not add up. The area is ONLY accessible using a key that the staff has. The theft was either by a staff member or a staff member was negligent and left the door open (either accidentally or on purpose.)

Otherwise, the place was OK. The room was fine for a backpackers, but the bathrooms and toilets were always disgusting and filthy on both of the floors we stayed on, every day for 5 days. The place was really loud as well, so hard to sleep, but it is a backpackers so that's understandable.

GROSS and DISHONEST MANAGEMENT. I do not recommend this place.

Room Tip: WE changed rooms. Both were noisy, the one neat the elevator was worse. Don't go here if you w...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Laura D
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was the first hostel that we stayed at in Australia and it was a very positive start. The hostel is in a good location and it is very clean. The dorm was a nice size, with good lockers. The facilities of the hostel are also very good, with a nice TV room and reasonable-size kitchen. The only downside was the wi-fi is quite expensive.

1  Thank Helen P
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Firstly, when I arrived at the hostel I was struck by how nice it looked, it looked like a hotel.

Rooms were quite small, however the only hostel I stayed in with a TV. Bathrooms were big and clean.

Didnt get the personal touch I did with other hostels however all in all I thought good value for money, easy to find and I would recommend.

1  Thank Katie_McConville
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I'll break all of my reviews into key areas that are most important to me in a hostel:

In the Wake- Up i was in a 10 bed dorm around $32 a night.

Bed: Large, pretty comfortable, i was in a bottom bunk and got a pretty decent nights sleep.

Room: very large and plenty of room for goon sessions and drinking games, air condition was manual and came on for 10 minutes every 2 hours, awful hangover conditions.

Security: Good security, night time main entrance is locked and access by key card only. Night team always pleasant unless you were too rowdy.

Location: At the bottom of Pitt and George st, it's a 15 walk into the main shopping areas, but there's plenty to see and do in 5 minute walking distance (darling harbour, chinatown).

Amenities: Nothing really. Lockers (bring your own locks), wifi ( at much extra cost) , no pool gym etc and ''TV room'' is actually a corridor with a TV on the wall, no sofa's, just tiered wooden blocks. Very poor.

Kitchen: Were ok , decent facilities but a very small area to accommodate a huge hostel, always very busy.

Nightlife: Is above side bar, decent small club, but the bouncers prowl round like tigers waiting to kick you out, ruining the experience. Choose scubar round the corner, little smaller, much better atmosphere.

In Summary, go here to start your trip but for long term Sydney accommodation look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The higher up you go, the better the party gets.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends