“Noisy, dingy party hostel”

Kanga House Backpackers
Ranked #36 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
michfitz1
“Noisy, dingy party hostel”
Reviewed February 15, 2009

Stayed here for a week, and hated it. The first room we stayed in was next to the court yard and all night long people would gather in the hallway outside our door to smoke weed, play music and just generally be loud. This went on till at least 3am on two consecutive nights. When we politely asked people to be quiet after they put on dance music at full blast at 5am not two metres from our door, they locked us into our room (we found this out the next day).

The hostel staff was friendly and understanding, and offered to switch us to a quieter room (but they could not find a space for us until our fourth night). We should have just left then, but thought the new room would be better. Turns out they put us next to the main exit, so again we had people gathering by the door and outside our room all night. Not to mention the door slamming! Again, when we asked people to be more quiet at 1am, they laughed in our faces and said no.

The hostel's facilities and rooms are basic but fine. The building is a little tired and nothing is especially clean. There is one computer for everyone so you rarely get a chance to use it. The building has wifi, but our laptop couldn't pick it up for some reason. All this doesn't actually bother me. The problem is the guests: of all the hostels I've been (and I've travelled a lot), this one had the most selfish, most inconsiderate people in it. I can't say anything bad about the staff: when they were there, they were friendly and helpful. It's just that after 11pm when the kitchen closes and there is no staff around as far as I could tell, the guests run riot.

The hostel seemed full of long-term guests who are on their first trip away from home and spend all their time day and night hanging out at the hostel, partying and smoking dope.

I would never, ever go back there. My biggest mistake was booking and paying for the whole week up front.

Stayed February 2009
1 Thank michfitz1

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2008

We were given a room facing the street and there was a window missing. It was really cold and noisy and we didn't get much sleep. We asked to move the next day and they gave us a much better room but no refund of the $63 we had paid for the rubbish room.

• Disliked — No window!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Toronto
Reviewed June 25, 2008

I had such a great time at Kanga House.. I didn't want to leave. I travelled around Australia for 8 months and everytime I got a little homesick I went to visit Kanga again.

I was there for Christmas, returned in March and then again in June.. sadly it's time to go. I made so many good friends.. and the staff were so so friendly and cared so much about my travels, whether I was sick and whether I had seen enough of what Sydney had to offer.

I stayed in an 8 bed dorm over Christmas and although it was full... it was so much fun. I also stayed in the 4 bed dorms the last two times....the view was amazing...my family/friends could not believe I had postcard photo's of sydney's iconic opera house and harbour bridge! (taken from my window)

The kitchen had good facilities with free breakfast and BBQ on Sunday. The free Internet was good as well.

I could not have asked for much more in a hostel...so close to everything, good facilities, great courtyard (parties) and most of all the staff. It was one of the best holidays I've had... I sure will be going back to Kanga!

• Liked — Staff, location, fun , view, rooms, atmosphere
  • Disliked — when people were a bit inconsiderate when sharing a room
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
Netherlands
Reviewed January 6, 2007

My all girl dorm was not so clean. Also the bathroom was filled in toilet paper and unflushed toilets. Breakfast was only toast and jam, but thats probably normal in australia. There was 1 computer in the whole building, so your chance of it being available, well: zero. The staff was incredibly friendly though!

• Liked — Staff, views, area
  • Disliked — Not so clean, price for laundry, hardly internet access
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
Utrecht
Reviewed October 18, 2006

Great little Hostal in a great location on a tree lined quietish street just off from the main strip in Kings Cross Sydney.

The staff are ultra friendly. The rooms can get a little messy (to be expected at a hostal) The beds are ok. Good equipped kitchen with free t and coffee all day long. Decent breakfast (seved only till like 9.30am or something) with cornfllakes toast t and c...

Great terrace out the back with stunning views of the harbour bridge and the opera house. Free BBQ's every Sundays and the reception can help you find a job if you want to work whilst in Sydney.

• Liked — The social aspect
  • Disliked — The Bbq sausages
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled solo