Kanga House Backpackers
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Travelodge Hotel Sydney(Sydney)
$176
Shangri-La.com
$186
  • Restaurant
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$140
$116
  • Restaurant
Cambridge Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$96
$80
$275
$238
  • Pool
Meriton Suites Pitt Street, Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
$122
$184
$124
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The hostel is really dirty (showers are muddy and toilet papers are lying on the floors or being all wet in their containers). The kitchen is dirty and not organiced, and there's no spices or anything like that. During my two days I stayed here, I even saw two cockroachs (one on the kitchen table and one in my dorm).
The place is also really cold! The windows in the toilet/bad are always open, and the windows in my dorm didn’t shut tight (a terrible draught throw the room the entire time, so cold).
You get free internet, yeah. But it only works in the kitchen. So no internet in your room, you have to sit in the kitchen.

I had to leave three days before planned, and I knew I wasn’t going back to Sydney. I lost a lot of money, because of their “policy” of giving no refunds.
The free barbeque is all right though; toast, salad and sausages. But I would still say it’s a terrible hostel

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Line L
Reviewed July 4, 2012

The room smelt bad and the whole place just did not seem clean. The staff were friendly. As we checked out at 10am there was a large argument between a guest and a member of staff that was getting nasty, we didnt hang around!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2012

That was the response from the front desk when we informed them that we has seen two cockroaches during our 3 night stay.
We booked the room on the top floor with the view for $2 more per night and unfortunately checked trip advisor after which warned of others experiencing this issue in the very same room we stayed. We decided to risk it and thought we might be okay if we brought no food or drink into the room....the second day we saw one. And after a cautious sleep, the next day, we saw another.
So, I politely informed the front desk, not asking for a refund or even making a huge fuss. And what was truly sad, despite the previously mentioned response, was the fact that we received no apology. What a shame of a way to handle the situation. In no other city we stayed in Australia, NZ or Europe during our 2 months of travels, did we see one cockroach.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank nycglobtrotchick
Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed in one of the "superior" double rooms ($120) located in the white building next-door to the main building, and this made all the difference - it is MUCH quieter over there, we never heard other guests or had our sleep disturbed. The partially-obscured harbor view out the window is nice, but you have to lean out to see it - we're not talking picture windows or anything.

The room itself was kind of dingy and depressing - a couple of framed posters on the wall and a foam futon mattress. The room had a kitchenette with toaster and kettle, but those looked so gross/crusty that I didn't want to touch them. We had a mini-fridge, which would have been great if it had worked and if it didn't stink like rotted food, so we left it unplugged. We did see a few small roaches and mosquitos, but that's probably par for the course in the city, and not a big deal. The courtyard is nice enough as a place to hang out, but the backpackers who were there were fairly distant and unfriendly (not the hotel's fault, I'm just saying, if you want to chat and make friends, this may not be the place). The kitchen is fairly big and has big fridges where you can store food in marked bags, and the wi-fi is decent in the main room, but does not reach to the back rooms.

The front desk ladies were nice and friendly, especially Brooke, who was always cheerful and accommodating; the guy who worked nights was not very helpful or friendly. The location was convenient and very close to a train station, but overall it seemed like not a great value for $120/night. Wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Over the last 6 weeks i have stayed in a lot of hostels in Sydney and this was by far the worst! We only stayed here due to a mess up with our booking on a hostel booking website and this was the only place that had a room available. We were told it was the best room in the place but if that is truly the case I hate to think what the other rooms look like. The room was so dirty; I opened the cupboard door to find insects and cockroaches crawling around. We informed the hostel owner of this and he said someone would be up later to deal with the problem. We went out for the day and when we came back at night time we entered our room to find cockroaches crawling over all our possessions, the table, the chairs and the bed!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple