“"All places in the city have cockroaches."”

Kanga House Backpackers
Ranked #56 of 149 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed February 9, 2012

That was the response from the front desk when we informed them that we has seen two cockroaches during our 3 night stay.
We booked the room on the top floor with the view for $2 more per night and unfortunately checked trip advisor after which warned of others experiencing this issue in the very same room we stayed. We decided to risk it and thought we might be okay if we brought no food or drink into the room....the second day we saw one. And after a cautious sleep, the next day, we saw another.
So, I politely informed the front desk, not asking for a refund or even making a huge fuss. And what was truly sad, despite the previously mentioned response, was the fact that we received no apology. What a shame of a way to handle the situation. In no other city we stayed in Australia, NZ or Europe during our 2 months of travels, did we see one cockroach.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank nycglobtrotchick

Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed in one of the "superior" double rooms ($120) located in the white building next-door to the main building, and this made all the difference - it is MUCH quieter over there, we never heard other guests or had our sleep disturbed. The partially-obscured harbor view out the window is nice, but you have to lean out to see it - we're not talking picture windows or anything.

The room itself was kind of dingy and depressing - a couple of framed posters on the wall and a foam futon mattress. The room had a kitchenette with toaster and kettle, but those looked so gross/crusty that I didn't want to touch them. We had a mini-fridge, which would have been great if it had worked and if it didn't stink like rotted food, so we left it unplugged. We did see a few small roaches and mosquitos, but that's probably par for the course in the city, and not a big deal. The courtyard is nice enough as a place to hang out, but the backpackers who were there were fairly distant and unfriendly (not the hotel's fault, I'm just saying, if you want to chat and make friends, this may not be the place). The kitchen is fairly big and has big fridges where you can store food in marked bags, and the wi-fi is decent in the main room, but does not reach to the back rooms.

The front desk ladies were nice and friendly, especially Brooke, who was always cheerful and accommodating; the guy who worked nights was not very helpful or friendly. The location was convenient and very close to a train station, but overall it seemed like not a great value for $120/night. Wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Over the last 6 weeks i have stayed in a lot of hostels in Sydney and this was by far the worst! We only stayed here due to a mess up with our booking on a hostel booking website and this was the only place that had a room available. We were told it was the best room in the place but if that is truly the case I hate to think what the other rooms look like. The room was so dirty; I opened the cupboard door to find insects and cockroaches crawling around. We informed the hostel owner of this and he said someone would be up later to deal with the problem. We went out for the day and when we came back at night time we entered our room to find cockroaches crawling over all our possessions, the table, the chairs and the bed!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alice C
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Booked a double room for a week but only lasted a matter of hours due to a plague of cockroaches.

Initially we didn't think it was too bad, it was cheap so that fact that the room was shabby was fine and the first 1 - 2 roaches we saw were fine - its in the city and you'll get the occasional one or two (although this was winter in Sydney) but as it got later they appeared from everywhere... They were in the wardrobes, on the wall, under the fridge... there was nowhere in the room we hadn't found a roach. By the time we had killed 20 - 25 it was time to abandon ship.

The next morning we got a full refund with no problems, the member of staff who sorted it was very helpful and the fact they have free wifi was also useful as I spent most of the previous evening finding somewhere else to move to!

This was the one occasion I ignored the Tripadvisor reviews before booking.... big mistake!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2011

This is one of the noisiest backpackers I have stayed in, the guys go to the local and then come back and carry on outside the front of the building or in their/your rooms. Not recommended if you want to get any sleep.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank davidsyd1
Reviewed July 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed in a private double. Our initial impression as we walked into the room was "what a dump": it was old, dirty and without a hint of coziness. The price was acceptable to our budget, so we decided to overlook everything since we just wanted a place to sleep. How wrong we were! Sleeping is something that the residents of that place don't do. For the three nights that I foolishly booked we could only fall asleep after 3 a.m. Party started around 10 every night with people gathering right outside our door so they could open the front door for the people who don't live there and supposedly shouldn't be there. They went on drinking, smoking weed, playing music really loud and just being high, drunk and obnoxious. It seemed like they had "who can scream louder" contests. Both me, my husband and even a staff member tried to get them to keep it down to no avail. In the morning the place looked disgusting with empty bottles, food leftovers and puddles of unspecified liquids soaked into the carpet. These were the three nights of my life that I won't get back. Needless to say I didn't have much energy for any sightseeing after such restless nights. It was a horrifying experience and I would recommend anyone who is not planning to join the party to stay as far away from this place as possible. The location was great, but so was the location of a million of other hostels in the neighborhood. One good impression that I have of this place is nice and friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank orangutan1
Reviewed April 18, 2011

We were due to stat here for a week or so but left after one night.... Everything had a layer of grime covering it and had I used the kitchen I am sure I would have got food poisoning!
It is a really small, cramped hostel with unfriendly backpackers who just stand around the front door smoking weed, and when you try and get in, they act as if it is their own home. However the staff were nice, but they need to sort the place out

• Stayed: September 2010