“Best of the best”

Ranked #8 of 137 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Davis, California, United States
“Best of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I traveled through most of Australia over a period of 10 weeks. I stayed in at least 20 hostels during this time, and I'm happy to say the Blue Parrot in Sydney was definitely the best. The staff was fantastic. Effie and Sasha (the owners) are incredibly kind, warm, and welcoming. They'll make sure you're taken care of and will make you feel right at home. The hostel is small, so it's very easy to meet people and make friends. The Parrot also provides free unlimited wifi and 2 computers in the lounge for free use during the day. The rates may seem pricey, but the internet access is included in the fees, so in the end it's pretty much the same as any other hostel price-wise . It's also in a great location. There are several ATMs from various bank branches a few blocks away, and a grocery store, chemist, and anything else you could possibly need just down the street. Kings Cross station is a 5 minute walk away and will connect you to just about anywhere in the city. If it's a nice day you can even stroll down to the harbor and you'll be there in 20 minutes. Kings Cross also has a plethora of places to eat and drink on a budget. If you're traveling to Sydney you would do wrong to stay anywhere other than the Blue Parrot.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

This was the first hostel i stayed at once i arrived in Australia and i didnt wanna leave. The staff and everyone staying there were all so helpful. As i was travelling on my own this hostel was perfect as everyone was on the same boat which made it easy to meet new people. Even though there are long term guests staying there they were still all really friendly and included me in any activities that they were planning. As it is a backpackers there were always people up for going out at night, drinking games were always played in the kitchen which meant that those not drinking could still have peace in the common room and not be disturbed by those drinking. I loved the location of the hostel as it was on a quiet street away from all the noise of the pubs and clubs yet all the main night life of kings cross wasn't even a 5 minute walk away. There is also a super market just a 2 minute walk down the road and various number of banks on the same road as the hostel which was convenient. The city would of only been an half hour walk away and the botanical gardens a 20 minute walk. There is also another park (rushcutters bay) which is also a lovely location and it was only about a 5 minute walk from the hostel. After 2 weeks of staying here i really didnt want to leave but wanted to do my travelling of the east coast. After doing my travelling i found that the blue parrot was the cleanest hostel i stayed at the whole way along the east coast and that if there was any mess it was tidied up straight away. I also found that no other hostel had as good of a tv room as the blue parrot as it had many dvds, a wii and a hard drive with loads of films and tv programmes on it. I loved everything about this hostel from its more than friendly staff to the location. After travelling the east coast i returned to sydney and was glad to get back into the blue parrot again as it felt like a home from home. Although the prices are more expensive than most hostels in the area i think its defiantly worth it because of its location, the staff, the cleanliness and the people staying there. I would defiantly recommend this hostel to anyone that was coming to sydney :)

• Stayed August 2013
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I absolutely loved my stay at Blue Parrot, ideal location, clean, homely, good facilities, free wifi, cosy tv room and lovely staff to help you out whenever you need them! Would definitely recommend staying here to anyone looking for a fun friendly chilled out hostel.

• Stayed June 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

To preface, I do think that the incident that happened to me was singular and does not happen all the time there. I walked into my room at 4AM one night, to find that in my bed there was a man sleeping who I had never seen before. I talked to the management after I was very upset and they offered me to sleep in the lounge. I had to wake up 3 hours later and speak with the manager, Sasha, and she apologized and refunded me the night's stay and allowed me to leave. I don't know how it happened that he got into my room and bed, as my bed was clearly made, with my stuff on it, but he was not there at 1AM before I went out and he was there when I got back. It was the first time this ever happened to me at a hostel and I felt very unsafe there.

As to the hostel itself, it is very conveniently located, near woolsworths, atm and a bunch of bars and hipster restaurants. darlinghurst/surry hills/potts point/kings cross are great places to stay while in Syndey as I found other areas of the city a bit sterile. Everything is within walking distance (you walk through the botanical gardens to get to circular quay, big plus!), and I thought the area was safe at all times. Maybe it's not for families with little kids, but it's great for a solo 20 something traveler.

While the hostel staff is friendly and kind, the actual hostel managers were not there during my stay, instead they hire travelers to man the desk. It is a *tiny* hostel, which I loved because it allowed for a lot of interaction and meeting people (the rooms are small, though). It has a big kitchen and nice lounge to chill at as well as a big courtyard. Honestly I really liked the layout of the place. It's also quite clean!

The biggest negative for me though was the long-termers. There's people working in sydney, all of whom are from England, and instead of renting apartments they stay at hostels like this one for months. It's a huge negative because they're cliquey, they hang out with each other and, since they work, they're not up for seeing the city with you. I was there traveling solo and I feel like I lucked out because I made friends with all of the actual travelers here and they were fantastic people. This hostel attracts the best types of travelers! I only wish they had more beds for backpackers and less beds for long-term residents. Like, isn't that what a backpacker hostel is for anyways?

2 Thank typ2013
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Yes. I agree they are clean, and they have good infrastructure. But the staff is not friendly at all and it is not a party place as they claim to be. The activities are always the same, the internet and the TV room close too early and the locks on the rooms always have problems and you are oblied to wake up the non friendly staff to help you out every single night.
Overpriced for what they offer. For sure there are better options in Sydney.

Room Tip: Try your key first. If it does not work out for the first time, change room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Be_Karen
Innsbruck, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Most importantly this hostel is very clean, with good facilities, spacious common areas and an excellent location (easy walk to the CBD, great transport connections, lots of bars/restaurants/clubs near-by). I spent 2 weeks here as a stop over in my travels and felt mostly really at home. My bed was really comfy, and i met some lovely people. However i feel in an effort to be super hygenic, staff can get a bit over zealous in their cleaning? Food, drink & straighteners/curling tons are contriband in the rooms & they have daily checks for this that made me feel a bit uncomfortable & like i was on a school trip. I noted on several occasions a couple of staff members kicking guests things/bags out the way to perfume the floor which i thought wasn't on, plus some times people would be abruptly awoken as staff burst in; turned on the light; yanked windows and curtains open and hoovered away. Yes; cleanliness is important. But i discussed this with several people, all of whom agreed it was verging on invasive. I stayed on my own & was lucky enough to make some good friends in my room. I found the long-stayers pretty unfriendly, and one girl and i during my first week felt too uncomfortable to go and use the kitchen at night where they were en masse playing drinking games repeatedly. However the internet is free & of high quality (a rarety in Oz i've found), and dispite only having 3 bathrooms there never seemed to be any real queues? Over all i would recommend this as a short stay accomodation, in a great location to explore Sydney.

Room Tip: the 6 or 4 bed dorms have better access points to chargers etc so oyu dont need to keep lugging thin...
1 Thank garlic_prawn86
BParrot, Owner at Blue Parrot Backpackers, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thanks for the review and for recommending the Blue Parrot. We're happy that you felt at home and found the hostel clean, with nice people, great location and free high quality wifi! We appreciate your feedback and would like to clarify a few of your comments – when we clean the rooms we are sometimes required to move bags away from the middle of the room to under the beds, where there is storage space, so we can vaccum properly otherwise it's difficult to vacuum around each bag. We apologise if the daily room checks made you feel uncomfortable but we are not searching for 'contraband' but instead checking what beds are available for our new guests and to clean & tidy everything. The reason we don't allow food in the rooms is because it attracts insects (there's lots of them in Australia;-) ) and can smell the whole room out which can be unpleasant. We have a lovely kitchen downstairs to store all your food. We will speak to the cleaners and make sure they enter the rooms in a more discreet manner with minimal disturbance. Wishing you safe travels xx – BP Team
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I don't usually write reviews but this place deserves one! The hostel is clean, fun and friendly! Arrived on a Thursday and after a few hours I already made some good pals! Fun nights out and clean bathrooms! The station nearby at first looked crazy but its safe and close to good night life. Would love to stay here longer!