“Best hostel I ever been to”

Blue Parrot Backpackers
Ranked #7 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
“Best hostel I ever been to”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I got in the hostel and all the people were so friendly, I felt home straight away. The location is amazing because its near kings cross and alive 24/7 but far away enough you get a good night sleep. Another good thing is how clean everything is, a lot better than the other hostels I stayed in in Sydney. The organize nights out with the people so you make friends very quik. Hope to stay there again somewhere in the future!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank BrancoJB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Most amazing staff ever, made my time in Sydney awesome! The hostel has a cool set up making it easy to meet other people. Everyone is mostly traveling solo and the hostel organizes nightly events for everyone to head out together.

I'm a bit of a clean freak and this was one of the cleanest and tidiest hostels I've stayed in. :-)

Free Internet was great and it was a fast connection that worked throughout the hostel.

Wish I could've stayed here longer. Highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Ginojosh
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Before coming to Sydney i did a lot of research about which hostel i should stay and after reading countless reviews i chose the Blue Parrot...and i'm happy i did! It's a friendly personable hostel with awesome staff who go out of their way to welcome you..

As a solo traveller i found it easy to meet other travellers since its quite a social hostel with a nice big courtyard that everyone hangs out in in the evenings and every night there's something on.

It's located in a lovely local area which is a quick walk to the Botanical gardens- one of Sydney's main attractions - as well as being not far from great night life. It was easy to get to Bondi Beach and the city center with a train station around the corner.

The hostel was very clean and was always kept tidy throughout the day, was impressed!

This was by far my favourite hostel in my Australian travels! Thank you for the stay guys, i will recommend it to all my friends :-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank John F
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was deciding between this one and Base and ended up picking this one b/c of the free wifi. Should have stayed at Base b/c I ended up paying more in daily train tickets than I would have for wifi b/c this place is not nearly as central as Base. PS the free wifi is only available in the common room and didn't work for one of the days that I was there. Just stay at Base for a better hostel experience.

I've stayed in my share of awful hostels where you really pray you don't leave with Tetanis and Hep-C and others that are so clean and fun that you never want to leave. Blue Parrot falls more towards the Hep-C scary hostel on the spectrum.

While they do employ a cleaning person, she has such an old vacuum and "speed cleans" so there is no noticeable difference between what is "clean" and what is not. Also, it was rare to find toilet paper in most of the bathrooms.

The wifi is free but is only available in the common room.

They have a large assortment of DVDs/media which is a plus and they did kind of have a bar crawl to local pubs.

While the hostel may technically be located in "posh" Potts Point, every time you walk into the city you are 100% in the red light King's Cross district. While I never felt unsafe it definitely made for a more colorful walk. Just an FYI.

The sisters who run the hostel were pretty helpful but Ollie, the other receptionist, was, in my opinion, an absolute disaster. In most of my interactions with him he was surly, rude and flippant. I get that he probably doesn't want to answer yet another touristy question but hey, you're in the tourism business so this comes with the territory.

Overall, this was not the worst hostel experience but it certainly was not the best.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
BParrot, Manager at Blue Parrot Backpackers, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are sad to hear you didn’t have a great time here. From our understanding you had a personal falling out with one of the staff (who you mention) outside of his work hours and you threatened you would leave the hostel a bad review which is disheartening for us :-(

We are known for our friendly and hospitable staff and were recently voted for ‘Best Staff’ in Oceania 2013 by our Hostelbookers customers. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our aim. We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for Sydney with travellers and want you to walk away from the hostel with a great experience.

We would like to address some of your other complaints. You refer to our location which you complain wasn’t near Central. We feel it’s a bit unfair to criticise the hostel for it’s location which you knew would bother you even before arriving. If you wished to stay near Central Station it would have been best to consult a map prior to booking since we are located in Potts Point which is a trendy local area between the City and Bondi Beach, around the corner from the Botanic Gardens.

To clarify, the free wifi is available throughout the hostel, not only in the common rooms like you mention. If travellers are searching for a hostel with free wifi, please see all our other reviews online confirming that we have fast and free wifi which is available throughout the hostel and in the rooms too.

We hope you enjoyed Sydney overall and wish you happy travels.

Cheers,

Effie & Sasha, Sisters/Managers
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Had a fantastic 3 nights at Blue Parrot, wish I had spent my full stay in Sydney here. Will definitely be booking if I return to Sydney later in my trip. Friendly greeting upon arrival, staff were expecting me and greeted me by name which is a real comforting touch. The most homely hostel I have stayed in in Australia so far, reminded me of a British b&b - intimate and relaxed atmosphere. Everything was spotlessly clean and when we did have a cockroach visit our room (our own fault for keeping food in the room) the staff went out their way to get rid of it and treated the room with repellent, even though the guy was off duty he was more than happy to help! Comfy beds, nice dorms, fantastic staff - this place have got it spot on. All awards are well deserved!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Kate A
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was my favorite hostel in Australia and I really enjoyed this place. I absolutely adore the staff and the rooms were nice and comfortable, better than most hostels in the world. The hostel is cleaned everyday and is being kept clean all day and all night. The location is a big plus as it's close to a supermarket and everything else! I enjoyed mostly the massive collection of movies in their lounge. Definitely the place to be in Sydney.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Canessidney
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Positives of Blue Parrot:
+ Atmosphere. Friendly staff and good implementation of rules re: drinking in-house etc. means everyone is happy.
+ Free wifi and computer access.
+ Location. 100m from a supermarket, laundrette, Post Office and cafes.
+ Communal areas. Comfy sofas, huge TV and loads of films in the lounge and an unusual-for-central-Sydney outdoor courtyard.

Negatives of Blue Parrot:
- No air-con in dorms. Can get toasty when windows are closed.
- No private double rooms.

The area: Blue Parrot is actually in Potts Point which is a few hundred metres from Kings Cross meaning it is much quieter at night than its neighbour as it is in an area filled with cafes not bars and clubs. With regards to Kings Cross, there are a few colourful characters but I never felt unsafe walking with my wife.

Would I recommend to friends: Definitely.

• Stayed March 2013