“Can't really properly rate!!!!!”
Review of City Resort Hostel

and 1 more site!
City Resort Hostel
Ranked #115 of 142 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“Can't really properly rate!!!!!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Right at this moment I have my husband with 3 teenagers walking around Sydney without accommodation.
We booked 2 rooms 6 months ago and the guy rang me yesterday to ask if he could put the group into 1 room and I stressed that that wasn’t possible as a man in a room with a girl that isn’t his daughter is not appropriate and we had stressed to her mother that she would not be sharing a room with him. The guy said that was fine.
Then as the group were about to book in today, I got a call to let me know they had only 1 room. They knew that yesterday.
I am so disgusted. Where did they think they were going to go or did they just think they could force us into using the 4 bed room so they could give our rooms to other groups.
So as you can see I cannot rate this hotel on the cleanliness, vibe, or anything else as they didn't even get to use it.
I presume though that people who are happy to cancell accomodation on people at the last minute wouldn't have much regard for much else.
Thankfully but for an extra $800 I was able to find a place for them to stay tonight.
Just remember to keep this in mind when booking at this place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BLuvsBali

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We didnt stay the whole time as the room did not have what was indicated on the website. It was suppose to be non smoking and people smoking in the corridors, it just smelt. Was not very nice..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tom C, Manager at City Resort Hostel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Hi there, I'm apologise for the unpleasant experience at our hostel.

What were the things that were indicated on our website that weren't provided? If you would like to discuss further please contact me at my person email address: tom@cityresort.com.au. I take your feedback seriously and would love the opportunity to gain new insight.

Regarding the smoke in the corridors, I'm guessing that whoever was smoking on the front porch didn't close the door and the wind blew the smoke into the hostel because if there was someone smoking inside the building the fire alarm would have gone off. I don't smoke myself so I know how annoying the smell of smoke is and I'm sorry it contributed to your experience.

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Dungog, Australia
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I tried to book into a few other backpackers but as an Australian Citizen they were only for international travellers only, got referred to City Hostel, stayed 2 nights my first time. The staff are really friendly, the long term people staying there are really welcoming, you get invited to join lots of events and activities. Now i stay there once a week, when i'm in town for work, feel comfortable there

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Jeanie B
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed September 7, 2012

One of the worst hostel I have ever been. In Germany but almost everywhere in Europe the hostels are very good and a low price. This hostel was not only very poor and dirty but was also expensive. And still we stayed two nights because this was having the best price-performance-ratio and it was close to the center of the city.
In Sydney driving is a nightmare and parking cost a lot. At the hostel I could park the rented car for quite a reasonable amount and we could walk in the whole city.
We have rent the only existing room with separate bathroom. It was very dirty, no towels were provided. It had nevertheless a large fridge and water boiler. Free WiFi was also at the reception but the signal was week and they shut down for night. I do not know why?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed here expecting the worst, but it ended up being very reasonable for the price.

The room I stayed in was a single room with two beds. I'd actually ordered a double bed but you could just push them together easily enough.

There were no bugs anywhere in sight, the room and bedding was clean, and all the in-room facilities worked as advertised.

I do have to complain that the WIFI was a no-show, it has a range below that of the weakest access points, which means it's been intentionally turned down to prevent people using it in their rooms. I think a lot of people were banking on the WIFI working, because I counted almost 20 Android WIFI connections open at any given time.

The counter staff were not terribly competent, the first two people I talked to couldn't work the credit card machine so I stayed several nights before actually paying, and I was handed back my key deposit without ever actually paying one (score!) but they were very polite and friendly nonetheless.

Really, it is exactly what it says on the box. If you want to stay at the Hilton, fork out for it. For $55 a night, though, you can't really complain.

Room Tip: The kitchen is used pretty much all hours, so it's a bit noisier there. The main tip is make...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elliott S
Central Tilba
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Me and my other half stayed for two nights
The most annoy.ing issue we had was parking! We asked where to park and a lady said you can park out the back (this was on the second night we illegally parked the first night!) we parked our car out the back to find later in the night when we wanted to see a movie that our car was boxed in by the managers van! He abused us for not askin to park there (when we clearly did get permission) when we got back from the movie we decided to illegally park again to save the fuss with the angry manager! In the morning we checked out and got told they we wouldn't get our deposit back as we used there parking out the back for both days! This really angered us! We tollirated the smelly rooms, peeling paint and outside bathrooms without complain! We already paid way too much for this rundown place soo them taking our deposit for something we didn't even use just isn't right! IF YOU WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE YOUR NOTHING IN A CRUMMY RUN DOWN PRISSION I WOULD RECOMEND THIS HOSTEL... OTHERWISE JUST DON'T BOTHER

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at City Resort Hostel, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Dear Guest, I sincerely apologise for the unpleasant stay you had with us in particular the parking arrangement. I don't know who abused you about the parking as it certainly wasn't myself and I just spoke to the owner of the building and he was out of town. If you could describe him I can try to narrow it down and speak to the person. If you could email me at tom@cityresort.com.au with your contact details, refund amount and either credit card details or Australian bank account details I will reimburse you.

Thomas Cho.
City Resort Hostel.
General Manager.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This is the only Hotel on Planet, where Rooms with en suite Shower has toilets outside.
Paints peeling off over the bed, no mirror over the sink (for shaving), and lots of other things.
Will take up the issue with my Credit Card company, if I do not receive a prompt response first from Easytobook

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member