“Good location, terrible hostel”

Woodduck Boomerang Backpackers
Ranked #82 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Stuttgart, Germany
“Good location, terrible hostel”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I know that this is a low-budget backpacker hostel. But there are certain things I expect even of such an accomodation: Cleanliness, a kitchen that "works" and rooms you can sleep in.

Good:
- Location (near Kings Kross, only 20-30 min from Sydney CBD)

- Rooftop terrace; nice views of the Harbour Bridge and the surroundings

- Showers are pretty clean

Bad:
- Squeaky beds

- Hostel is unattended at night - nobody gives the noisy guys a roasting when they're supposed to be silent during the night

- The kitchen; it is messy and dirty. Two out of three stoves do not work properly and the oven is as unusable as it is dirty. There are 3 forks for about 40 guests.
Allegedly, the kitchen is cleaned every day. It looks like they clean the ground and put away the left-over food or dishes, but don't clean the surfaces which is of utmost importance.

- Breakfast was ok for the price, but I would have expected something to drink aside from coffee, at least a juice for the non-coffee-drinkers.

- The worst thing in this hostel is the rooms. They are incredibly hot and muggy. Our room faced a wall so there was no circulation of air at all, despite the fan in the room. Without that fan, you cannot get a single hour of sleep. But with the fan you cannot get sleep either, because it is so loud. There are other rooms which are facing the street - they may not necessarily have the heat problem, but instead of that they have a noise problem because of the main street right under their window. The most important thing in a hostel for me is that you can get a good sleep, which definitely is not given here. Zero Points for that.

If you don't care about sleep, you're right here but I do, so I do not recommend you to stay here. Invest some money and stay at a place nicer than this one. Shouldn't be too difficult.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank CaptainXB

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Clean enough, gave you breakfast for free, could sleep fairly well. The beds were just foam so alright but not amazing. I got the impression some rooms were louder (from the people in them), ours was pretty quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

The place is pretty decent for the money you pay. I'm staying in one of the cheapest rooms that some of the workers are staying in. I really dislike melting into my sheets every night because there are only two fans in this room and it's a 10 bed dorm, if your comfortable stealing the fan off a fellow backpacker who is also melting into there sheets and to hot to sleep go ahead, i found it difficult to be so mean. The breakfast I've never had as I'm never up in time because it's to hot to sleep. The showers and loos are okay, always advise to wear flip flops in the shower anyway. The location is good, close the the city and kings cross. The kitchen is always so busy. If you think you can just eat late in the evening don't. It shuts at 9:30pm, end cooking at 9:15pm and all your food is in there so when you can't sleep and starving hungry your pretty screwed. The flights of stairs are annoying, like I've said it's so hot in here your always dripping when you get to the top. The people on reception are okay, although the guy in my room said on our first day he closes up early every night because he has work early the next day... So be aware of this, it does happen. And finally the door to get in, I'm a weak young lady and getting in is such hard work. The lock is really dodgy, so I tend to wait for someone to leave, this is meant to shut at 10pm (I think maybe it's an hour earlier, everything's confusing in this place) but today it shut at 8:30pm so that was annoying. Stay here because it's cheap, if you can afford somewhere else though I recommend you do. I wish I had.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

nes ziyyona
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The rooms are tiny, and very very messy. It is very hot in the rooms and the windows doesnt fully open so there's alwaysabad smell. Also only one fan which isn't enough.
The rooms are in the third floor, the bathroom in the second, the kitchen in the first. NO ELEVATOR!!!
Roaches on the roof, and dirty showers.
Only good thing is the free breakfast and The staff are nice and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Very basic accommodation. Rooms vary in size and I discovered I actually had quite the bum deal. Free breakfast is really just minimal but it's free and its less food to worry about. Kitchen is a little too small and utensils are lacking which makes cooking quite an ordeal at times. Rooms can get unbearably hot which is probably my worst thing to say of this place. The staff are lovely and its roof top is brilliant. The events are great, generally always something to do and an easy opportunity to get chatting to people.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

After booking the work and travel programme with STA. This was the hostel I stayed in. The hostel is in a good location, 10 mins to Kings Cross and supermarket, 15 mins to city centre. But, there is 6 flights of stairs to the rooms (no lift In building), then down 2 for the bathroom, 2 for the kitchen and tv room, then down 2 for reception. The kitchen is small, and lacking in utensils for cooking. The free breakfast, always seemed to run out, by the time I went down. The bedrooms were small, for the number of beds in the rooms. I had to wait nearly 2 hours for my bed to made up when I arrived at the hostel, fresh off the plane. During my stay we had cockroaches in the room I stayed in. The rooftop terrace was okay. Social events, however, weren't well organised I found. I would not stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Boomerang backpackers is, as it says in its name, a backpackers. It's quite a small hostel, with one floor of rooms and bathrooms on another floor and the kitchen and tv room on a different floor.
The kitchen is quite small and can get very crowded at breakfast. It has lots of fridges but doesn't have a great range of cooking equipment and utensils.
The bathrooms were generally quite clean.
The hostel gives you a free pick up from the airport, however, we had to wait an hour and a half, with the girl on the number we were given screaming down the phone at me that no one could find us. We had to phone five times, at first she just kept saying it would be five minutes. On the final attempt she screamed that no one could find me, said where the hell were we? We had been waiting in the spot she told us since. Getting our bags and making the initial phone call.
The staff in the hostel were generally friendly. The hostel provided free breakfast, which is when the kitchen was really busy, but still it was free!
The hostel tended to get really hot, especially on the bedroom corridor. The hostel is on a main road, so if your bedroom is on William Street then expect some traffic noise.
The Strand hotel just down the road does great food for $10.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple