“Do not stay at this hostel! Even if its cheap!”

Westend Backpackers
Ranked #108 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Perth
“Do not stay at this hostel! Even if its cheap!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Cleanliness.. The drain in the shower was always clogged even after cleaners had been. Dead bugs were found on my bed and staff reassured me this wasnt a bed bug. However, I was later bitten. There was a dead cockroach on the stairs to the storage room. The tea towels in the kitchen were ALWAYS smelly and dirty.

Staff.. They were all nice and social. Staff did look at my bed, and said my bites werent bed bugs as the bites werent in rows. However, I later got bitten in rows. And all bites I think are likely to be bed bugs. However, after serveral complaints and bites I was moved to a different room, and given laundry money.

Security.. Security was always good at the front of the hostel. However, my cheese/bread/food in the fridge was stolen, and so was the food of many others.

Facilities.. Some of the cookers didnt work, which made cooking at peak time a nightmare.

Very cheap... however for reasons above I will not be going to a Nomads again. I would not reccommend, and I would advise any traveller to find alternative accommodation.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hostel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2013

The best bit about this hostel is the location. Right in the middle of the main city so can't complain there. The family room is small and expensive for what it is but i suppose its the location you pay for. The staff were friendly but I feel they could have been more knowledgable about the local area. Good lounge and kitchen area but could of done with more kitchen equipment. Overall pretty happy with my stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Sam B, Manager at Westend Backpackers, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hi,

Great to hear from you and thank you for your comments.
Many of our staff members are new at present however they are all currently learning as much as they can re our beautiful Sydney.

We look forward to you returning soon

Kind Regards
The Nomads Westend Team :-)
Angus, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've done a lot of travel in different places in the world and have a fair bit of experience with hostel. This one was not the best I stayed at. The room were too small for the amount of bed they had. We barely had space for our backpack. The bathroom was also fairly small and not the cleanest. I killed a few bug in there. Plus we had some issue with the bathroom door. one morning we needed 2 people to open and close the door to the bathroom one on each side of the sliding door. The location is great you can walk everywhere in sydney from there and that is why I picked that hostel in the first place. There is definitely some improvement to be done on the cleanliness and comfort in the room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I do frequent (once every couple months) trips to Sydney central, and being el-cheapo when it comes to backpacking I have learned to tolerate all manner of things (rooms that smell like feet, cockroaches etc.) just so I don't have to pay $150+ a night for a double room.

So imagine my surprise when I come across a room in the middle of the city that is clean, with a clean bathroom, that doesn't let all the traffic/drunk people noise come through the walls, and two-thirds of the price that I would normally pay for a cockroach infested hole!

I will definitely recommend the double room for those of you who are on a tight budget. The room is no-frills, but much, much better than other cheap accommodation in the area (and I've stayed in many of them!)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at a lot of different hostels in Australia while backpacking and this was by far the worst! Me and my boyfriend stayed in a 6-bed dorm one night, and ended up sharing it with 8 guys that were sharing 4 beds by sleeping in shifts. The door to the toilet didn't work-you couldn't close it at all, the linen was already slept in, the room had no space at all and it smelled horrible. Don't stay here unless you have no other option, I would have preferred sleeping at Mc Donald's...

• Stayed February 2013
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over new year for a few nights as it was one of the cheapest places in Sydney for the time of year. I was a bit unsure what I was letting myself in for after reading some of the reviews but it was really not that bad!

The hostel is located right in the centre of Sydney and the staff were friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

Yes, the lift is very slow but there are also stairs!

We stayed in a private double with en-suite which was cleaner than I had anticipated although could have done with new mattresses, sheets and carpets as the whole room just looked well worn!

We didn't use the kitchen but it looked ok. There were plenty of fridges to store coolbags although they were pretty full!

If I needed cheap accommodation in the centre of Sydney I would probably go back to Westend Backpackers as I am sure there are much worse hostels around the area. I will say though, if you don't mind spending an extra $50 per night, stay somewhere nicer!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Essex
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Dirty, loud horrible hostel legs got bitten by bed bugs as the sheets had not been cleaned we stayed in a 8 bed mixed dorm with ensuite and the door to the toilet completely came off so that you couldn't use the shower or toilet in private. Reception staff were useless and one night some random slept in the bed I had paid for and when I asked reception why this was they said that someone must have been in there when they shouldn't have been and that was all they said on the matter and didn't offer a resolve. There are far better hostels in sydney don't stay in this one it's scummy

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends