“Do not stay here!!”

Westend Backpackers
Ranked #107 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
“Do not stay here!!”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is the WORST hostel I have ever been in! I have been travelling before arriving to Sydney and this did not give me a very good impression. The whole place stinks--the staircase like pee, reception like cats and everywhere else like mildew. The kitchen is absolutely awful. My feet stuck to the floor with every step and even on a backpackers budget we chose to eat out because the kitchen was so atrocious I would rather spend money then cook and catch a disease. On the two occasions that we required help from the staff they were not helpful at all and extremely rude. The one staff member was incapable of answering a simple question politely without giving attitude. I can not wait to get out of this hell hole. The one thing that they remotely have on there side is that it is a close walk down to the harbour, other than that nothing. I would highly recommend staying far away from this place.

• Stayed November 2012
, General Manager at Westend Backpackers, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us a feedback on your stay at the Nomads Westend Backpackers. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at our hostel.

We are aware of the fact Nomads Westend is not a new property and can be referred to a more original backpackers. However, our team strives to exceed the cleaning and service standards every day.

We have taken your feedback seriously and went through it with all departments that are involved and working on improvements.

We would highly appreciate if you'd be able to give us a few more details what exactly happened with the staff under laurab@westendbackpackers.com

Thanks again.

The Nomads Westend Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed November 18, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE!! I WOULDN'T WISH IT UPON MY WORST ENEMY!! I've stayed in many hostels and this is by far the worst experience I've ever had. The smell is atrocious. When I take a big old smelly poop, it smells better than this place. Everything is moldy or broken. There are cockroaches running around everywhere. They are even running around in the kitchen.. I am trying to save money by cooking, like most travelers, but I refuse to cook in this place. It is so revolting. The customer service is terrible. My Internet keeps shutting off and they refused to do anything to try to help me. I went to the travel desk to ask about jobs and different things about Sydney and the lady was a snot. Nothing but rude remarks as she laughed at me. The housekeepers are in and out of your room within two minutes. They have no respect as they are always yelling over the intercom throughout the day and night telling everyone to get drunk in the common room, which everyone already knows about because there are posters up everywhere. The elevator takes forever to get anywhere. The stairs are locked at the bottom and you can't get through to go upstairs. I would never ever suggest anyone stay here, even if you are trying to save money. It is not worth the hassle and disgustingness. I would rather sleep on the streets, I guarantee they are cleaner. I've stayed in many Nomads that I have been more than pleased with, Queenstown NZ has by far Been the best, and to come to this one is honestly nothing but a nightmare. My dreams were filled with mold and cockroaches while sleeping here.. That's how dirty it is.

• Stayed November 2012
, General Manager at Westend Backpackers, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thanks for your review. After reading your comments we are quite suprised as we strive so hard every day to give guests an enjoyable stay. We wish that you had brought these matters to our attention during your stay and we could have resolved them for you. Unfortunately, we cannot see your name or the room number from your post - I would appreciate it if you could email these to me on laurab@westendbackpackers.com so I can investigate further. We have a dedicated team working here and we will investigate your complaints once we can verify the room number and take disciplinary action if necessary.

Nomads Westend Backpackers Team

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I had to move out from my previous hostels cause there were no more rooms available and this one was pretty close. I arrived there a few hours before the check in time and asked for a place to leave my bags... I had to go down stairs in this really bad basement. When I arrived at my room was surprised to know that there was a woman living in the room for months, so that was kind of her own room, with a small table and lots of books, clothes, for a really tiny space. The bathroom was really dirty and the beds were not good. I was about to run away from that place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
, Manager at Westend Backpackers, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. We highly appreciate that you took the time and shared your experience with us.

We can see that you have stayed with us over 1 year ago. Since then there has been a management change and some of the points you managed were solved through that.

We for example try to put long term guests together in the same rooms and avoid mixing up short term and long term guests as this always creates a better atmosphere for the guests.

We hope we'll be able to welcome you again at the Nomads Westend and show you what we have improved.

The Nomads Westend Backpackers
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 15, 2012

we booked this hostel, because our first choice was overbooked. bathrooms and kitchen were in poor condition, one fridge was broken what lead to bad smells all over. other guests were continuously drunk and noisy, the westend should be your VERY last choice!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your feedback about your stay at the Nomads Westend Backpackers. I am sorry to hear that the cleanliness at the hostel did not meet your expectations. We have passed this on to our housekeeping department and are working on a solution to solve these problem.

We often describe ourselves as a traditional backpackers, due to the fact that we may not have the newest property, but the great atmosphere here makes our hostel what it is.

Whilst we are a party hostel we certainly do not accept loud parties in rooms late at night. We do have a security guard working 7 nights per week, however we have recently made the decision to change companies and the new security company starts next week. This move will ensure that our security guards are doing thorough checks of the property and ensuring that any late night room parties are dealt with.

Once again we thank you very much for your feedback.

Nomads Westend Backpackers
Reviewed November 13, 2012

As someone who has travelled around a fair bit I can appreciate a good hostel and I am more than willing to sacrifice some things for cost but this place was awful! The only thing going for it is a fairly central location on Pitt Street and the free airport pickup but that was it. When we got to the hostel they claimed to upgrade us to a 3 person room and we thought we had done really well. Once we had finally caught the lift up to the eleventh floor (one of the list was never working and the other had a mind of its own) we walked into an horrible state of a room, random bits of carpet, disgusting bed and even gross bathroom. I was really surprised as I have stayed at Nomads before but this was really bad. The reception area constantly stinks of garbage and to put the cherry on top of the whole experience the lift completely stopped working for 2 days (no apology) so we had to walk up and down eleven flights of stairs with all our backpacks,etc. my advice is that there are plenty of nicer hostels in Sydney so please dont waste your time with this one!

• Stayed October 2012
, Manager at Westend Backpackers, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We highly appreciate that you took the time to get back to us and share your opinion with us.

Westend Backpackers is a traditional backpackers and can't as such be compared to most of the other Nomads Hostels. We do our best to exceed cleaning and maintenance standards and are constantly improving our service.

We are very sorry to hear that you have been here at a time when the elevators were broken. The lifts at this property are very old. You can rest assured that if a lift breaks down (usually this is due to will full damage) then we act on it as soon as possible to get it back up and running. Sometime an immediate fix is not possible due to the nature of the breakdown but it is always of high importance.

Singapore
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Our family booked two ensuits - two-room ensuit & 4-bed ensuit for 7 nights (27 Sep to 4 Oct 12). Luckily we read about the poor reviews and decided to change to 2 nights instead and moved to Mcleay Lodge which had higher ratings.
This is a hostel with quite alot of rooms and rates are good but the unhygenic condition is difficult to acccept. We stayed at level 7 :
Double Bed Private Ensuite AU$47.50 x 2pax = AU$95.00 x 2 nights = AU$190
The shower room floor was slimy & slippery - my dad has to cleaned it before use.
Bed Female Dorm Ensuite AU$34.00 x 4pax = AU$136.00 x 2 nights = AU$272
Whereas for the wardrobe exterior has a layer stickiness & interior is dirty and rusty/ the room has a strange smell coming from the side stairs/ the side table drawer has a packet of washing powder opened & spilled in the drawer/ the carpeted floor is dirty with some m&m sweets and other stuff on the carpeted floor. The blankets smell and felt itchy when use.
There are two lift with one not working, the other very very slow and numeric panel not working. We feel that the lift may be the bottleneck/caused of most problem as everything is delayed (including cleaning). Not recommended for anyone to stay unless your budget is really fray..
I have a number of pics of our room but can only put one so will try to get out the a few review if it is not blocked

Room Tip: Do not stay if possible
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank boonSingapore
, General Manager at Westend Backpackers, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are really sorry to hear that we did not meet the expectations of you and your family.

We have spoken with the cleaners regarding the comments you have made regarding the cleanliness and smell in the room which you stayed in. You will be pleased to know that we have revised our cleaning schedule and have implemented a stricter regime to ensure that we are exceeding standards.

Nomads Westend Backpackers is an older building and cannot be compared as such with the other Nomads properties. The charm and flair of Westend Backpackers is centred around the great atmosphere and the CBD location.

With this in mind we work extremely hard to ensure that Cleanliness standards are exceeded and all Maintenance issues are up to scratch and addressed; As you can imagine we were more than disappointed to read your feedback and please note that we are looking into the issues which you have raised.

East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Don't stay here.
I have stayed at a few Nomads and they have been good, Byron Bay and Noosa two examples, not this one. Stay at YHA or Wake up
This is a hole.. Entering the lobby I knew I had made a mistake it stinks.. Sewage would be polite.

No working door to bathroom in room
No working shower
Room was not cleaned once in the 5 days I was there.
Two lifts, seemed to work 1 out 5 days, took 15 min to leave the building..
There is a fire escape, but this was blocked and locked!! Hate to think if there was a fire.
Kitchen and tv room disgusting

Bed comfortable

Room Tip: Leave and book into the YHA opposite or Wake up, short walk...please.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BruceZim
, Manager at Westend Backpackers, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you took the time to share your experience with us.

We do appreciate all of your feedback, but please be aware that we are a very different style property to our other Nomads Hostels such as Nomads Queenstown, Nomads Byron and Nomads Melbourne. These Property are brand new and what we like to call "Flashpackers" with a new and Modern appeal.

Westend Backpackers on the other hand is an older style building which we like to call a "traditional Backpackers" and offer lower rates. Being an older style building means our appearance is not as charming as the newer hostels and we are faced with more difficult maintenance issues. With this in mind we work extremely hard to ensure that Cleanliness standards are exceeded and all Maintenance issues are up to scratch and addressed; As you can imagine i was more than disappointed to read your feedback and  please note that i am looking into the issues which you have raised.

The lifts at this property are very old. You can rest assured that if a lift breaks down (usually this is due to will full damage) then we act on it as soon as possible to get it back up and running. Sometime an immediate fix is not possible due to the nature of the breakdown but it is always of high importance.

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations, however I feel if you had spoken to a manager at the time we would have been able to fix most of your complaints.