“Adore Amora”

Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
Ranked #18 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
“Adore Amora”
Reviewed June 15, 2010

To celebrate my birthday my wife booked a night at the Amora Hotel Jamison. I work in the city but sometimes like to stay in town and play tourist in my own back yard. I've stayed at many of the cbd hotels and have to admit that the Amora has never really been on the radar. Having said this, however, the Amora turned out to be a real surprise. Tucked away in Jamison Street (in the downtown business district), its away from the noise and bustle of the shopping and entertainment precincts but only a short walk to them if you need that buzz. Its also located within walking distance of the Rocks (my fave haunt when doing my home town). The room, whilst small, was elegant and clean. The bathroom one of the best I've encountered. I was also impressed by the heavy duty blackout blinds which almost completely blocked out the morning sun. The real standout, however, was the service from front desk, Concierge (Troy?) and room service. The breakfast (which we chose to have in the room) was THE best hotel breakfast I've ever had in twenty years of corporate and leisure hotel stays - hot, perfectly cooked eggs, Bircher muesli, yoghurt, juice, bakery preserves - the whole deal. It arrived bang on time, service was friendly and discreet. The breakfast, along with most in-room dining options, were reasonably priced. Breakfast in bed is important to me. With two kids, a lie in is usually impossible, let alone breakfast in bed. I loved this experience. I loved the Amora. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I will definately be going back. Thank you for an awesome birthday night.

1 Thank Jas O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Gosford, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Recently stayed two nights at the Amora which is well located just off George Street. The staff were friendly and efficient and despite the hotel being 8 years old everything was absolutely sparkling. Parking is $38 per night park yourself or valet parking at $48. The Hotel is in easy walking distance to Circular Quay and the Rocks and is virtually next door to Wynyard Railway and the underground, shopping arcade. I needed to put in a roll away bed at the last moment to accommodate son who managed a 24 hour pass, this request was politely and efficiently handled and they even transferred us to a slightly bigger room! Fantastic king size bed and pillow menu. Meal in the Gallery was very pleasant also.

Very pleased and would definately recommend.

Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We had a very enjoyable 2 night stay at the Amora Jamison hotel in Sydney. Perhaps a little out of the way compared to some others but still very easy to get around. The hotel is a little tired in places (eg tables & chairs in the bar looked a little threadbare and worn, and the tv in the room was an older style and buzzed constantly when on, and as previous reviewers have said, is in a strange location) but the rooms were neat and tidy. Very comfortable bed along with block out blinds in the room made a sleep in very pleasant, and waking up to a view of the harbour was nice, although the rooms do look in on other apartments (including the bathroom - but simply close the blind!). I would definitely stay again as for the price we paid booking direct with the hotel, it certainly met my expectations.

Reviewed May 18, 2010

I've stayed at the hotel twice over the last 4 months. Both times have been a very enjoyable experience. The staff have been wonderful.

The rooms are lovely and very clean, the bathrooms are spectacular. We stayed on the 23rd floor so we had a great view. Comfy beds, nice fluffy pillows. Nicely decorated. Room service was pricey but delicious!

Only bad thing is the TV, you'd think a 5 star hotel would've gotten LCDs by now, doesn't really matter to me though. We didn't even turn it on.

I'll definitely return to the Amora.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I've been to Hilton Sydney and it's greatly overrated.
For a fraction of the price though, you can get a great stay in Amora Jamison. Stayed in this hotel twice already and it never disappoints. Bathroom is large with a great bathtub and also comfy bed. The breakfast in bed is of enormous amount.. a bit too much I think but excellent nonetheless. Yes, it lacks character, but what do you expect from a starred hotel smacked in the middle of the business district.. ? Certainly not character in my personal opinion.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed May 14, 2010

The Amora Hotel Sydney is well located, a 10 minute walk from Circular Quay and the Sydney Opera House and also a 10 minute walk from Martin Place in the central business district.

Rooms are of a comfortable size, clean and the best part is the bathroom. On the service front they have a long way to go though - the front desk staff are semi-efficient and helpful and the staff on the first floor restaurant are downright rude, tardy and left to their own devices.

Overall one can't say this hotel leaves any memorable impression - it's ok, it has no personality of it's own but the location is convenient and the rooms are clean.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
London
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I have to say I'm surprised that the Jamison Hotel gets mixed reviews. I used to stay in the Jamison hotel back in 2003-2005, stayed there about 6 or 7 times back then for business. It was one of the best value for money luxury hotels in Sydney CBD back then so I thought it still had to be good today. Having not stayed in the hotel for 5 years, I read the comments on TripAdvisor when I booked in March 2010 and became extremely nervous that maybe the quality had slipped.

I need not have been worried.

The hotel (in my partner and my experience) was top quality. We flew in from the UK (Where we live) at 6am and the staff were extremely flexible and friendly helping us check in early, use all the facilities in the hotel and help settle us in after a 30hour journey from London. When I first walked into reception and spoke to the staff, I have to say that the hotel has lost NOTHING in the way of service, its still very lovely as you walk in.

The room itself again I was VERY nervous it wouldn't be clean or maybe those amazing luxury bathrooms 7 years ago hadn't been maintained. I shouldn't have been worried, it still looked pretty much brand new including the carpets, walls, bedding, furniture, bathroom etc. It was all high quality, all clean and spacious just as I remembered it.

The pool/health spa was also very nice, we stayed mid week so it was fairly quiet during the day and although not staffed very well it suited us just fine as we want to chill out in peace.

Food in our opinion (We had breakfast and one dinner there) again was just as good as I remember it. Good quality and nice service.

I once again feel bad for everyone on TripAdvisor who had a less than perfect experience at Jamison Hotel. OK - Its not a 5 star hotel.... but its very high quality, I like the taste of the decor - Its modern and the service and cleanliness is always top rate and in my opinion you pay alot more for a similar standard in other hotels in Sydney.

And before you may think that our standards perhaps aren't very high and we are easy to please..... Think not ..... My partner and I often stay in "Leading hotels of the world" affiliated hotels all over the world....... Places that cost 2-3 times per night than the Jamison charges and fundamentally it is a GREAT hotel. I have to say that apart from small details on service that a 5 star hotel offers, its just as good as a base in Sydney.

We've stayed in places that cost $800/ night where we've still had to complain about sheets not being clean, bathrooms having mould, service being poor and rude, food having to be sent back, reservations being messed up etc........ So whilst I also feel bad for guests who've had a less than perfect stay, I also would question and take with a grain of salt what their expectations were to begin with. Mistakes happen in hotels, we travel often and just about every hotel in every city in every continent things happen.

Overall would always in the past and continue in the future to recommend Jamison Hotel in Sydney.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple