“Awesome weekend in a beautiful hotel”

Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
Ranked #18 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney
“Awesome weekend in a beautiful hotel”
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I've stayed at the hotel twice over the last 4 months. Both times have been a very enjoyable experience. The staff have been wonderful.

The rooms are lovely and very clean, the bathrooms are spectacular. We stayed on the 23rd floor so we had a great view. Comfy beds, nice fluffy pillows. Nicely decorated. Room service was pricey but delicious!

Only bad thing is the TV, you'd think a 5 star hotel would've gotten LCDs by now, doesn't really matter to me though. We didn't even turn it on.

I'll definitely return to the Amora.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I've been to Hilton Sydney and it's greatly overrated.
For a fraction of the price though, you can get a great stay in Amora Jamison. Stayed in this hotel twice already and it never disappoints. Bathroom is large with a great bathtub and also comfy bed. The breakfast in bed is of enormous amount.. a bit too much I think but excellent nonetheless. Yes, it lacks character, but what do you expect from a starred hotel smacked in the middle of the business district.. ? Certainly not character in my personal opinion.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed May 14, 2010

The Amora Hotel Sydney is well located, a 10 minute walk from Circular Quay and the Sydney Opera House and also a 10 minute walk from Martin Place in the central business district.

Rooms are of a comfortable size, clean and the best part is the bathroom. On the service front they have a long way to go though - the front desk staff are semi-efficient and helpful and the staff on the first floor restaurant are downright rude, tardy and left to their own devices.

Overall one can't say this hotel leaves any memorable impression - it's ok, it has no personality of it's own but the location is convenient and the rooms are clean.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
London
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I have to say I'm surprised that the Jamison Hotel gets mixed reviews. I used to stay in the Jamison hotel back in 2003-2005, stayed there about 6 or 7 times back then for business. It was one of the best value for money luxury hotels in Sydney CBD back then so I thought it still had to be good today. Having not stayed in the hotel for 5 years, I read the comments on TripAdvisor when I booked in March 2010 and became extremely nervous that maybe the quality had slipped.

I need not have been worried.

The hotel (in my partner and my experience) was top quality. We flew in from the UK (Where we live) at 6am and the staff were extremely flexible and friendly helping us check in early, use all the facilities in the hotel and help settle us in after a 30hour journey from London. When I first walked into reception and spoke to the staff, I have to say that the hotel has lost NOTHING in the way of service, its still very lovely as you walk in.

The room itself again I was VERY nervous it wouldn't be clean or maybe those amazing luxury bathrooms 7 years ago hadn't been maintained. I shouldn't have been worried, it still looked pretty much brand new including the carpets, walls, bedding, furniture, bathroom etc. It was all high quality, all clean and spacious just as I remembered it.

The pool/health spa was also very nice, we stayed mid week so it was fairly quiet during the day and although not staffed very well it suited us just fine as we want to chill out in peace.

Food in our opinion (We had breakfast and one dinner there) again was just as good as I remember it. Good quality and nice service.

I once again feel bad for everyone on TripAdvisor who had a less than perfect experience at Jamison Hotel. OK - Its not a 5 star hotel.... but its very high quality, I like the taste of the decor - Its modern and the service and cleanliness is always top rate and in my opinion you pay alot more for a similar standard in other hotels in Sydney.

And before you may think that our standards perhaps aren't very high and we are easy to please..... Think not ..... My partner and I often stay in "Leading hotels of the world" affiliated hotels all over the world....... Places that cost 2-3 times per night than the Jamison charges and fundamentally it is a GREAT hotel. I have to say that apart from small details on service that a 5 star hotel offers, its just as good as a base in Sydney.

We've stayed in places that cost $800/ night where we've still had to complain about sheets not being clean, bathrooms having mould, service being poor and rude, food having to be sent back, reservations being messed up etc........ So whilst I also feel bad for guests who've had a less than perfect stay, I also would question and take with a grain of salt what their expectations were to begin with. Mistakes happen in hotels, we travel often and just about every hotel in every city in every continent things happen.

Overall would always in the past and continue in the future to recommend Jamison Hotel in Sydney.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UKTraveller201033
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Whilst the rooms were simple they were comfortable and more than adequate. The location is wonderful- close to the Rocks and Circular Key, but also to the CBD and main shopping drags. We used taxis for longer drives but mainly walked. Felt safe- even on a busy Saturday night walking back from the Capital Theatre was completed in less than 20 mins
(in heels). Having said that it is the staff that make the difference. Troy, is exceptional and leads a staff at the front door that any hotel should be proud off. Most staff members are not in your face, but certainly step up when they are needed.
Our group, from two families, would stay there again, and recommend it to others!

• Stayed May 2010
Forestville, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Checking in felt like a 5 star hotel, the room was lovley, although the TV isn't a flat screen and is in an odd position to watch from bed, bathroom lovely and clean! The breakfast was average, nothing too flash, and I wish the hotel would ban smoking near the pool, people on the balcony by the pool smoking and throwing their butts on the floor, and the sauna needs to be hotter..but otherwise I would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AustraliaUnitedfan
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 4,129 helpful votes
Reviewed April 29, 2010

Overall I would give this hotel 7 to 7.5 out of 10 if the TA rating system so allowed, as it is a classic '3.5 stars': since it does not, I have had to decide between 3 out of 4 (a tad harsh) and 4 out of 5 (a tad generous).

Upon checking out, the male staff member said that I had hired an adult video. I had a discussion with me, made all the more embarrassing because others heard what he maintained I had purchased. Eventually I left without paying the $16 or so charge for the alleged adult movie viewing.

Some eight hours later I received a most apologetic call from the manager, who explained that the hotel had no control over the movie supply as these were beamed into the hotel's entertainment system by a specialist company. The manager explained that there had been a 'tachnical hitch' and profusely apologised.

So while I do not blame the hotel for this error, it could have been handled better by the initial staff member I encountered particularly since I had to stare into his eyes and inform him that I most certainly did not hire the said video. I concede that it was my word against the hotel records but the forcefulness of my repeated denials ought to have alerted him to how I believed what I was saying.

The room was large; the bathroom especially so; both were properly cleaned.

There was no noise transmission. My first night's stay was on a public holiday evening: hotel occupancy was low, confirmed by a spartan attendance at breakfast which was pleasant if unexceptional for a hotel of this standard.

I obtained a rate for one night of A$180 and the other A$170 through www.wotif.com: I overheard a desk clerk offering a right for the next night of A$220 to an enquirer and then a comment from the clerk that she lacked the power to offer a corporate rate. On balance the wotif rate was reasonable.

The hotel is well situated: despite the false adult movie hire allegation, I would stay here again but just wish that TA had the option of a rating out of 10 by 0.5 graduations not just out of 5 by increments of 1.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo