Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
Ranked #22 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed January 21, 2009

This place is amazing, the rooms are just gorgeous with huge bathroom and seperate bedrooms and lounge area. The pool spa, and saunas were great. The staff were extremely helpful and nice and opened the doors for us everytime we walked out. We stayed here for a romantic weekend and thats what we got! We told them it was mine and my bf's anniversary so they set up a bottle of wine on arrival which is lovely.

The location is close to the Rocks and Cirqular Quay so that was really handy and probably only 10mins from CBD. The beds were really comfy, they had a large bath and shower to relax in. We got city views which were nice too. Everything was really great about this place, bit more pricey but worth it if you are after a guarenteed great stay!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (8,964)

Reviewed January 20, 2009

Stayed 2 nights and booked under lastminute.com.au

PLUS

Staff-I travel every month and this is the first hotel where the staff actually potray the hotel standard.I think it was supposed to be friendly,relaxed,warmth etc etc along the line.They were not effusive but it's been a long awhile since I have been greeted by a smile by every staff including the concierge and reception staff.I get greeted in other hotels with either a cool,disinterested expression,professional but won't step out the way for you atititude.It was a bit of a shock to see staff actually behaving you want hotel staff to be like.It was refreshing.

Room-more spacious than some of the other CBD 5 star hotels.I think the hotel had a recent refurbishment.The carpeting from the foyer,passageways and room looks new-ish.Good design,alcoves or niches to put things in.Nice sofa chair.I didn't see the Playstation as advertised in their website.

Noise-stayed 11th floor.Quiet.Double glazed windows.

Bed-extremely good and with a pillow menu

Bathroom- separate bath and shower.

View-had some corner view of Millers Point.

Gym-looks good equipment was new looking.Small and compact.Pool and spa bath was good.

Angsana Spa-didn't have time to use it but it sure smelled nice.

Location-close to Wynyard Station and attached to Met Centre for food etc etc.

MINUS

Toiletries-don't understand with all the attention to details in the hotel why their range is ho -hum.A lot of the hotels seem to be into either the organic or herbal range but the Amora's is brightly coloured and smelled artificial.Funny tubes and diffiicult to get the liquid out.

TV-old style bulky TV inside a cupboard.The doors do slide in and it is maybe 24' not sure.It was a bit awkward to watch on the sofa chair.

Reviewed January 10, 2009

My wife and I spent New Years week at the Amora and had a wonderful time. The staff is very friendly, the hotel is perfectly located, the room was beyond expectation, and the food was perfect. Upon arriving at the Amora we made the wise decision to upgrade to their Club Level. This afforded us a nice lounge to enjoy a cocktail each evening or coffee in the morning, sitting alongside a wonderful view.

The only downside during our visit was that the parking garage's elevator did not work and we had to hike our luggage up and down a couple flights of stairs. I wish the hotel had offered to make valet parking free to compensate for this. I am sure the elevator will be fixed soon so this should not be a concern for other travelers.

Reviewed January 10, 2009

Went there on a mystery deal with my husband for a night off from the kids. We both have worked in the city near the Jamison so we were happy with the location and the price of $170. However, it touts itself as a five star and I don't think it is close... more like a 3.5 to 4 star. After winding our way through a tight parking lot we found ourselves hefting up 5 flights of stairs with our bags as the elevator didn't seem to work (no lights came on to indicate it was, anyway). Checked in and we 'upgraded' (i.e... paid more money) to get a room upgrade, breakfast included and drinks in the 'exec lounge'.

Got a nice room on the 32nd floor... great views heading south/west over the city, and nice window over the bath. But the tv didn't work so they moved us up to the 33rd floor, obstructed north views... but sadly no lovely romantic bath views. Oh well. Room is nice, tasteful and ok size for the cbd.

Breakfast was very dissapointing.. it was on the 31st floor ... great views and all that but CONTINENTAL.... except for some mini quiches (the frozen sara lee kind). We were keen for some eggs and bacon so that was a bummer.

Considering we paid close to $250 (post 'upgrade') for a saturday night in a prime spot, it was OK... but it fell way short of our expectations and didn't meet the "5 star" quality we were anticipating.

Next time we will just pay the extra money and get quality.

Reviewed January 10, 2009

I recently stayed at the Amora Jamison and it was fantastic! This was my first visit to Sydney and this hotel was a pleasant surprise! The hotel is only 2.5 blocks to the Sydney Harbour and Circular Quay, which is a major hub for getting to all points of interest in Sydney.

The final night of my stay, the entire block experienced a power outage from 7 p.m. to 4 a.m. The hotel staff was extremely professional in handling accommodations for everyone...and in dealing with irate customers. I CHOSE to stay in the lobby (my room was on the 14th floor and my flight was leaving early), so I witnessed every customer exchange...which was pleasant and reassuring. They even offered to comp us for that last night, although the power outage was in no way the fault of the hotel.

I would DEFINITELY recommend the Amora Jamison to anyone and I intend to stay there every time I return to Sydney.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed January 6, 2009

We are a couple with a 4 year old visiting Sydney for the first time for 5 days. This hotel has been perfect. The location is great - easy walking distance to Circular Quay (5 mins) and Darling Harbour (10 mins) plus all the city centre attractions and shopping including the monorail, train and bus services which get you anywhere.

The hotel has a great feel to it. We like it because it's very smart and luxurious but at the same time quite relaxed and not snooty as some top hotels can be. It wasn't a name we knew of, so it's an unexpected delight.

Our room is a suite (still in it as I write!) on the 33rd floor (club level) and the view is fantastic. I would recommend the extra for the club room, the breakfast and drinks/canapes in the evening have made it really worth it. The rooms are spacious. We have a sitting room with a rollaway bed for our little one, very comfy king bed for us, beautiful big bathroom (stunning view from the bath!) and a 2nd w/c off the living area.

The food is expensive at the restaurant or room service, but it's not necessary to eat here as it's so central. We've actually had a large lunch while out and then skipped dinner a couple of times, having pigged out on the canapes and free drinks! Also I have to say we're slightly disappointed by the standard of daily cleaning but as the rooms were immaculate and clean on arrival I can't say it's been a real problem. Doesn't affect our excellent impression of this hotel, we thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank SevenoaksShooby
Reviewed January 3, 2009

We stayed at the Amora Jamison for 10 nights in December and loved every minute of it. We were upgraded upon arrival to a junior suite, with a separate living area and huge bathroom. Also we had a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolates waiting for us in our room. All of the staff were friendly, helpful, and couldn't do enough for us.

The location is brilliant, only a short walk to Cirular Quay, the Rocks, and about a 10 minute walk to Darling Harbour. I would also agree with the recommendation of the Barramundi Cafe across the road for breakfast, excellent value and lovely staff.

On our first night we were shattered from our trip so just ordered room service rather than head down the restaurant, but the food delivered to us was delicious, and we also had a complimentary bowl of M&Ms!

We were staying at the hotel over Christmas and woke up on Christmas morning to find a box of festive cookies waiting for us outside our room, another lovely little touch.

We cannot wait to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple