“Perfect location”

Ranked #18 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Perfect location”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We booked a night at Amora Hotel Jamison with Wotif.com as part of a mystery deal and were delighted to discover where we were staying. The hotel is right near all the major tourist attractions in Sydney, the harbour bridge, the opera house, circular quay and Darling Harbour. it's literally metres away from the city's most bustling streets, and has a range of shopping and restaurants all around.
When we checked in we were told that for an extra $30 we could upgrade to a corner suite where we had more views. Being our anniversary, we thought we might as well make it extra special and went ahead with the upgrade.
Our room had a spectacular view of Darling Harbour and parts of Circular Quay, we couldn't see the Opera House or Harbour Bridge because a building was blocking the view, but I certainly couldn't complain. Our bath overlooked a magnificent view of the harbour and as night fell, we got to see the whole city light up, which was pretty spectacular.
The bathroom was spacious, clean and had everything needed for a comfortable stay. I especially loved the complimentary robe and slippers to lounger around it.
The room itself was clean and well maintained. The bed was huge and very comfortable, while the room's furnishings seemed a little outdated—particularly the massive wooden wardrobe, which looked quite out of place in such a cosmopolitan location.
Overall, it was a great place to stay and in a great location. Staff were friendly and courteous. The only disappointment was the expensive car parking. I feel that if you are staying in a hotel, the car parking should be part of the price of your stay. It's ridiculous to be expected to pay for parking when you've paid for a night in a hotel and it cost us over $40 for 24 hours, whereas you don't pay at all for parking at other hotels. Aside from this, it's a great place to stay.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a corner suite, do it. The views are spectacular.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I booked the Amora under a mystery booking, and I was happily surprised. My room was nicely appointed and the service was accommodating. I had expected to be writing a 5 star review upon check out until this experience... During my stay, I put some credit cards in a drawer-- we were going out for the night and I didn't want to carry my entire wallet. We checked out the following morning to sightsee until our flight at 9pm. At around 5pm, I realized I had forgotten the items. I went to the front desk and explained that I had left credit cards in the room. I believe I was talking to the front desk manager, Abhishek Sinha. He said: "Nothing was turned in." I asked if I could go up to the room to check. A bellman accompanied me to the room; my items were not where I left them. Upon returning to the front desk, the manager basically said, "The items were not there." That's IT. Nothing else. There was no offer to file a missing claims report or anything. I further asked if HE could call Housekeeping to check. He shook his head and stated again, "Nothing was turned in." Again, no offer to help file anything or investigate MISSING credit cards! Shouldn’t he be concerned that someone from the hotel staff may have STOLEN something? It appeared I was wasting his time and he couldn’t wait to go back to doing whatever he was doing. After seeing he was not willing to help me, I left the front desk and called Housekeeping from a house phone. Housekeeping said they found my items during room cleaning and left the items at the front desk! I told the manager that Housekeeping said they had left the items at the front desk. He then asked me to wait on the side... while he checked in people BEHIND me! Ridiculous! He finally came back and asked for my ID before he returned my items! Besides my terrible treatment at the front desk in the afternoon, the hotel should have called me immediately when they found the credit cards. I received no call, no email, no ANYTHING. Isn’t that the point of asking a guest to register their contact information? So you can contact them? I was visiting from Hawaii and thank goodness I was still in Sydney and able to return to the hotel to gather my items, or I probably wouldn’t have gotten them back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank gotcpa1972
Abhishek S, Front Office Manager at Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Deat gotcpa1972,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at the Amora Jamison Hotel Sydney.

I have read your comment above and would like to firstly apologise for the negative experience you had upon check out . Unfortunately on that date I was not the person you dealt with but would certainly like to be able to discuss the issue further with you. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on fom@sydney.amorahotels.com.

I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards,
Abhishek Sinha
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

After reading reviews I was a bit worried but it was a lot better than expected. We had a standard room which was very clean and the bed was very comfy. There are a few design flaws - the TV which should be opposite the bed is actually in the cupboard next to the bed so it's impossible to use the tv unless you strain your neck or lay on the side of the bed. Also there is a desk with ONE chair which makes dining very hard, we ordered breakfast and had to use the windowsill as a table and the ottoman as a chair. Other then that parking is reasonable compared to other places in the city we have stayed at and the staff is super friendly.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Tamworth NSW
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We booked the room at the Hotel as part of a Wotif mystery deal. Staff at reception at the concierge were lovely and very helpful but the room was a big disappointment. It was very tired and small and everything was crammed into a 1970s style oversized wardrobe. The bathroom was OK and slightly more spacious.

We ordered room service which again, was average, but promptly delivered by a friendly staff member.

Great location but overall unimpressive, I don't think I would bother again - mystery deal or not.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Better than expected for the cost (? if we had some sort of deal), large clean and well appointed rooms, efficient and friendly staff. Good location, We stayed in October over the fleet review weekend. would readily stay again, now our choice of hotel in Sydney.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank affie85
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed at the Amora Hotel back in October 2013 for the fleet review.
Our room was not five star quality. The bathroom was lovely though with great views of darling harbor, which we wanted. However, the bed (king) had blood stains on it, which was horrific. I complained but because it was a very busy weekend due to the fleet review, we couldn't change rooms and there was nothing Amora could do. I couldn't sleep well after that.
On day two of our stay, I was returning from a morning visit with coffees from Starbucks. I took the lifts. The lift, about half way up between the ground floor and my floor, stopped and the doors wouldn't open. Nothing worked not even the air con, so no air was coming in to the lift. I freaked out. I rang the alarm bell inside the lift, but no one heard it. If it wasn't for the maintenance man opening the door, no one would have known; I was in there for a good 5 minutes or more. The maintenance man got a huge shock when he opened the door and saw me in there freaking out. God knows what would have happened if he didn't open that door.
When I got back to my room I rang and told the front desk what had happened. The lady advised she would notify the manager. When the manager rang she just said sorry to hear what I had just gone through and that was it. She didn't even offer a voucher for a dinner or breakfast voucher, nothing. I was shocked.
All we for this horrible experience at Amora Hotel was a discount on the poor quality fold away bed that was terrible to sleep on, for my daughter.

Not the best Amora experience for me or my family.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Joanne R
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed over Easter and had a lovely stay. We had a room with 2 king singles and a fantastic harbor view from the bathroom and glimpse of the Opera house from the bedroom. The service was outstanding, chocolates ECG night on the bed and wonderful doormen ready to get a taxi for us. I highly recommend Amora Hotel at a reasonable price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh