“Second visit, a little wiser now.”

Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
Ranked #23 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was my second stay at this property, a few years after the first. Most things hadn't changed about the place. Staff friendly, lobby looked good, location still has it's good and bad points (though the northern end of the CBD is beginning to liven up a little bit on weekends).

However, some of the things that hadn't changed were also a problem. My room was a near carbon copy of the first time I stayed. Only this time, it showed that it'd been 3 maybe 4 years since my last stay. Plenty of scuff marks on walls and fixtures, a few broken bits here and there, and some odd stains in the carpet.

The bed was big, and a genuine King (not 2 singles shoved together). But it was far too soft for my liking, and the pillows were a bit of a mish-mash.

The bathroom was very good, it seemed to have a renovation at some stage, and was quite roomy. The bath was a nice touch. Noise was nearly non-existent (though I was on an upper floor) and the knockout blinds were very effective. I might add though, I could hear the rain, as it was very heavy. I quite enjoyed opening the blind to see sheets of rain coming down, knowing I didn't have to venture in to it for some time.

I didn't use many of the hotel facilities, only really there to sleep. I thought about breakfast, but at nearly $40 for the buffet I passed.

I guess, what Im trying to say is that's a 5 star property, with some 4 star rooms. That said, if you shop around you can get a very good price on those rooms, so it's not really 5 star pricing. In fact, this hotel was cheaper than many 4 star hotels on that same weekend. Win for me!

Perhaps I'm being too harsh. It deserves about 3.5 stars/5 for my stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (9,237)

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We didn't stay long enough. Very warm welcome on our arrival and comfortable beds. We were offered late checkout 'til 12 noon. Appreciated that. Only gripe, we couldn't figure out why we had the pool all to ourselves, at first. Then realised why. It was supposed to be indoor heated pool, but was cold.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed at the Amora Hotel recently, very friendly & professional staff, we were more than happy with the room we had, bed was comfortable, room was very clean & tidy. A little disappointed with the TV setup in the room, tv itself was fine, but it sat on a roll out slide in a cupboard that was side on to the bed in the room. Just detracted from the overall feel of the hotel. Location is fantastic, 1 minute walk to Wynard station, easy walking distance to Darling Harbour & Circular Quay area. McDonalds, Woolworth's & Subway are all in about 1 minute walk also. Hotel had free Wi-Fi internet, although we didn't use the pool had a quick look at it and looked a good set up within the hotel. Staff very helpful in arranging shuttle bus to airport at reasonably short notice for us, also had a couple of other small things like passing packages on for us, they were only too happy to help. Certainly impressed with the Amora & when the price for the room was factored in for a Sydney CBD area hotel it was great value for money when compared to other hotels in the area. No hesitation in recommending based on our experience.

Room Tip: We took the recommendation from other trip advisor reviews to choose a room higher up to reduce nois...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Well located, excellent staff, reasonable pool and gym. This is a good city centre hotel. We were there for three days work, and upgraded to the executive floor on arrival. They give access to a nice little lounge on the 31st floor for breakfast, coffee and pre dinner eats and drinks ( so many of them that we skipped dinner twice). Our corner room 3015, was nicely finished, clean and well supplied with two flat screens and audio. A large bathroom with the bath enjoying the view from the window was great fun.

As we decided to stay in Sydney for three more days we stayed on, and were surprised how reasonable the rate was. Try it.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just behind the Met Centre (or Wynyard station if you prefer), the Amora offers comfy rooms with good beds, free wi-fi and a very decent bathroom. One tip though: ask for a room that doesn't overlook Jamison Street - noise from George Street travels up the hill and particularly if there's music or a function at the Establishment in George Street, it can be very noisy.

Room Tip: One that doesn't overlook Jamison Street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Sydney has plenty of 5 star hotels. Selection will sometimes depend on location and in my view, price. Buying a 5 star room well turns a comfortable stay into a very good value stay. The Amora offers sound 5 star quality but is perhaps not at the peak of the 5 star game. Particular comments: staff were particularly welcoming and helpful with service levels high; the rooms were clean and I enjoyed a corner room with harbour glimpses; for me the location was very good, but I acknowledge that location will be personal; free internet!. On the negative: breakfast value is very poor, but that is not uncommon across the 5 star field (have breakfast outside the hotel) and another personal factor, the beds have very heavy duvets and I found it hard to have a comfortable temperature at night - that's also a personal matter. Overall though, as long as the price I can get remains competitive, I will be using this property more.

Room Tip: High north east rooms will get good sun, some outlook and will be relatively quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Amora Jamison Hotel is in good location, very close to Circular Quay and Wynyard Station. The staff in the Amora Jamison hotel were very helpful and friendly, plus the hotel was clean. I booked a room through the Entertainment Book, hence got a discount on the regular price. Had I paid the full amount I would have been disappointed as the rooms are starting to look tired and there was significant wear and tear on the furniture. I don't feel the hotel should have a 5 star rating and I agree with the previous comments about the TV, it's located in a cupboard at the side of the bed. One other observation is $65 for the Saturday seafood buffet was quite expensive. The seafood was great, but I felt there was a distinct lack of vegetables etc. The salad / lettuce was limp and in relation to the cheese board there was only a choice of 3 cheeses accompanied by non seedless grapes!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo