“If you don't go there with high hopes, you'll be pleasantly surprised”

Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
Ranked #22 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

We got this hotel booked through a mystery package deal on wotif.com. With the idea of a 5 star hotel in mind, I admit I was hoping not to get this hotel upon other people's review. When I found out that wotif booked this hotel, my expectations of this place went even further downhill so once we checked in and the room was bright, clean and pretty, I perked up again. I certainly wouldn't consider this place 5 star as I've stayed at places far less expensive with much better atmosphere however, this is a perfect business type hotel worthy of 4-4.5 stars as the staff was robotically pleasant but not too helpful, facilities are stock standard and bathroom is quite nice. I'm sure if my expectations weren't so low prior to arriving, this review wouldn't have been as positive and on the plus side: the location of this place is fantastic. Maybe with more impressive furniture and service worthy of 5 stars, this hotel would have more right to their star rating.

• Stayed: November 2012
There are newer reviews for Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed here a couple of times this year and each time have been disappointed. While the facilities are good, the hotel lacks that little bit extra that takes a hotel from 4 to 5 star.
The rooms are dated and in need of refurbishment, the windows are in dire need of a scrub and the staff need a touch up in what exactly is customer service in a 5 star hotel.
Don't get me wrong, the location is great and the rooms are clean and comfortable, but the hotel doesn't compare to anything on offer from some of the 5 star hotels a short walk away.
Stay here if you get a bargain, if you want luxury, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mtchclt
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The location is great for the tourist areas and not too far from the business areas.

The staff are great - friendly and helpful - and the rooms are well put together, with plenty of storage space for luggage, etc

It's the bathrooms that I love. Spacious, well lit, with a deep tub for soaking in.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Amora is a welll located Hotel especially for business, but equally for toruists. , room rates are acceptable for Sydney.
Rooms are slightly larger and decor is modern, not the usual predictable decor and room set up.
Good pool , gym so-so.
Breakfast is good for those that eat in hotels.
Staff are exceptionally good , attentive & seem genulnely keen to assist.

Room Tip: Get the slightly laregr corner rooms , better views
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Close to Sydney Icons. Walk to Circular Quay, Rocks, Bridge and Opera House. Close to Fantastic Restaurants nearby. Our Room 1111, was spotless. Huge bathroom with full size bath. Huge soft bed. Staff attentive. View opposite was interesting office building, that left its lights on all weekend (why?) and you can glimpse water to the left. Amora Jamison ticks a lot of boxes. We were very happy with our stay here.

Room Tip: We liked Room 1111.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We got our deal from lastminute.com and paid $205/night for a 3 night stay over the weekend. We got this off a secret hotel deals so we had no idea what we were getting into. Once the booking was made and we found out that it was the Amora, I did some research and ended up pretty worried from some of the comments I've seen...

While I do agree that there are some spots on the hotel that need upgrading (scuff marks on walls, old carpet, old shower tiles, room safe and fridge) I rather enjoyed our stay. None of the items that need upgrading really took away from your stay & to be honest the other half didnt even notice them until I pointed them out. For the amount we paid, this was really good value for money.

The room was huge, there were enough channels to sift through, they automatically provided extra pillows and blankets in case needed, there was even a pillow menu in case you werent happy with the ones found in your room! I also loved that the hotel had a spa pool, a wet & dry sauna, and a pool apart from the usual fitness center. Again, good value!

Service wise check in and out were both speedy and painless, there was always someone to open your door, and they even helped the hubby find a charger for his laptop since he forgot his. We were happy.

As for location -- it was great. We were within minutes of the rocks, the opera house and georges street was just around the corner. We can be at Wynyard Station in less than 2 minutes, and lots of places for late night munchies nearby and a supermarket to boot.

Trumps previous hotels we've tried in Sydney which in fact were priced much higher than the Amora. Would definitely book here again for future trips.

We stayed on the 7th floor and even had a nice view of the city.

1  Thank intomysnowglobe
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I picked this hotel- or rather it was picked for me - on a mystery deal. I had to be in Sydney on Business but I always come for fun as well. The mystery idea was to save a few dollars but otherwise if you were interested in 5 star luxury you wouldn't pick this hotel. It has a few of the trappings, a friendly doorman and good front desk service but the rooms are dated. The TV had poor reception on some channels and lives in a cupboard. It just has a cheap feel about it. No new milk for coffee/tea or new toiletries on day two. The blinds don't blockout the light. The good bits are that that the bed is comfy and the bathroom large with a nice bath. Location is good for transport and it is only 500 metres or so from the Quay. If your after luxury/location and everything to be just so, I'd pick the Intercontinental for a few dollars more and that hotel has great views. This hotel might scrape to 4 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor you might score a view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business