“Secret Bargain”

Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
Ranked #22 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We needed a bed to sleep in near Circular Quay after a concert so went for a "Secret 5* hotel near the Rocks and Quay" at $150 for a Deluxe King Room. The location is excellent, very close to both Wynyard station, the Rocks and the Quay.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the room we were allocated. Whilst it was only on the 7th Floor it was a corner room with an open view across the city towards the western side of the Bridge. The bathroom was enormous, separate big tub and shower huge picture window for a view from the bath if you were game! Towels big but a little thin and only 2 of them.

The room itself wasn't huge but was considerably bigger than the equivalent at the Sofitel Wentworth where we have stayed a couple of times.

The standout feature was the bed, incredibly comfortable, I wanted to take it home! There is a pillow menu but no listing for my favourite firm foam pillow so I stuck with what was on offer.

The hotel could certainly do with a refresh. There is some wear and tear to carpets and surfaces in the room. The hotel information guide had VERY grubby pages that really should be replaced. The room was clean, but needed more attention to detail (eg the dirty information guide)

The Amora isnt in the league of the big Sydney 5 Star hotels, we have stayed at the Hilton, Sheraton on the Park, Blu Hotel and Sofitel and the Amora doesnt punch at the same weight, however, I would give it a solid 4 1/2 stars and rank it WAY above the 4* Sydney hotels we've stayed in (Marque, Vibe, Travelodge just around the corner) which would have cost us at least as much if not more.

Would we stay here again, certainly. For the price we paid it was the best bargain bed in Sydney that night!

3  Thank 3littlepigsgotroppo
Write a ReviewReviews (9,080)

Reviewed January 15, 2012

Stayed in this hotel with my daughter, excellent location, two minutes from Wynyard train station so handy for airport and view of part of Opera house. Room clean and comfortable but overlooking office so blinds had to be permanently closed. Check mini bar contents as ours was not at listed. Ordered through bucket shop site so paid $150 which for city centre fantastic. Arrived from Auckland at 10am and was able to check in and didn't leave until 5:30pm but was able to leave bags. Would do again for money.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I have chosen to stay at this hotel because of its good location, considerably good price and its ratings. This hotel was rated as 4,5* or even 5* by some sources however I very well understood when I get there that this hotel is an average 4* hotel. Location is ok. I could easily walk to the darling harbour or opera house. Breakfast is not very rich. Its like a budget hotel's buffet.
My advise is : if you can slightly increase your budget, definitely go for radisson, intercontinental or marriott or even shangrila. But also please note that top class 5* hotels in sydney are as gorgeous as like the ones in asia or europe, they are much moderate. So you pay more but you do not get more luxury... For me intercontinental or marriott is ok for next time in sydney...

Room Tip: Try to get from higher floors to get good views over the city
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank selimonart
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Just spent 3 days at the Amora Jamison and we found it to be very good.
Probably would not rate it a 5 star...more 4 - 4.5 star.
Great location, service was prompt, efficient and pleasant. Nice bathroom, rooms on the small side but we only paid $155- $165 a night so we are hardly complaining.
Room service was fine, we ate out at Tetsuyas and Wildfire so the location from both restaurants was great. So close to The Establishment.
We had a really enjoyable stay.....loved our time in Sydney

Reviewed January 12, 2012

I have stayed here a few times and I only stay if its a mystery deal.....which seems to be very common as I have got this place the last 3 times I stayed in town.

The rooms are excellent with big bathrooms which are quite elegant.

Its the prices for everything though.

Nothing is complimentary.....and you pay a surcharge of $6 for room service....that's $6 every time you order something. They charge $9.50 for a bottle of beer and then $6 on top surcharge.
Parking is the other gouger..... ridiculous pricing really.Just a rip off really.

I only ever stay for business and I would not stay here if I was on a trip or a holiday....I'm sure I can do better.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MSIMaker
Reviewed January 12, 2012

This is a nice clean hotel, very well located in the Sydney CBD. Their self rating of being a five star hotel is a surprise.
Here are a few basic things I noticed when I arrived: No wifi in your room in a five star?? They did have an ancient modem in the room, requiring a phone line.
Instant coffee, motel quality. I thought a "five star" property would have something a little better. Had I known, I would have brought a plunger and some gounds.
Very small television. Not a problem for me. None of these things really were. I was happy with the place and its location. I just find it astonishing that they rate themselve as five star.
Other little quirks: Their advertised 530pm happy hour doesn't apply to their main bar. They don't tell you that unless you ask. A room full of people thinking they are paying "happy hour prices. Silly and deceptive.
I would recomend the Amora and would stay there again, but they need a more realistic 3.5 rating

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jon J
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I am not one to write on here.. this is my first ever review. but I think people need to be aware:

After booking a mystery deal online I was so excited to stay at the Amora. And now - so glad I did the mystery deal and only paid half the price because that is all it was worth!

First impression of the room was that it was modern & nice. Looking into further detail, our view consisted of a brick wall, the shower was filthy - hair in the corners, soap stains & mould.. looking at the mini bar stuff (RIP OFF- & the wine corker was filthy!) The T.v came out on rolls out of a cupboard, which was pointless if you wanted to watch a movie in bed or anything because the cupboard door completely blocked the view!! As there wasnt much to do in the room, we thought we may go down for a swim... With limited beds, and dirty towels on every bed the hot tub 'out of order' with it empty and pieces pulled out everywhere.. we decided to head back to our room. (would of been nice to be informed when we checked in!)

Dinner that evening we had at the gallery - dont even bother with that. We went on a monday night, quiet night with maybe 10 people in the restaraunt.. We ordered a bottle of sweet wine.. 20 minutes later the waiter (who seemed to be training) still could not find this wine so he came to tell us he was going to have another look.... finally he came with a bottle which was not at all cold, and did taste like a cheap drop. ($29 in the restaraunt) After watching everyone else get there meals (55minutes later) I hate asking but I asked the waiter if our meals were almost ready as we had been waiting quiet some time.. he goes to the kitchen and comes back and tells us that our order had been lost, for that they gave us complimentary steamed vegetables - they were not in anyway steamed, they were hard as rock. I had the ratatoulle canneloni which was tasteless & watery, my partner had the pork which was enjoyable...

On the plus side the bed was so comfy I didn't want to move... Although we were woken at 7am to a loud banging/hammering/drilling noise which seemed to maybe be above our room.. this noise still did not stop even after we checked out. VERY inconsiderate.

For a 5 star hotel I was not in anyway impressed, I did leave a letter with management - and still no response, no email no nothing.

Room Tip: NOT room 415..
1  Thank Jessica4492