“Very nice staff, ok digs”

Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
Ranked #19 of 61 Sydney B&B and Inns
Sebastopol, California
“Very nice staff, ok digs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

On my recent trip to Sydney I ended up staying at 4 different hotel over the 3 1/2 weeks we were there. So I got to try many different locations and lodging experiences. Altamont was the 1st stop and since our flight got in at 6am and we eventually got to this small hotel at 9am, we were exceptionally pleased that they got us into our room by 11am. The folks at the hotel are great and we loved the location even though the airport shuttle drive said it was in the heart of the red-light district, which is incorrect. One street over has a great line-up of restaurants and there's a park down the street. It has easy access to public transportation. The room was quiet although the "courtyard" is not really what I would call the space outside our room. It still gives a sense of privacy and is the best choice when requesting a room. The free internet is super and hard to find in the Sydney hotels. Overall not a bad choice for a Sydney stay though I wish I had gotten a better rate. BTW the hotel dog is great!

Room Tip: the courtyard rooms are quieter and cooler
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jane W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Clean and decent sized room.  Great shower with lots of hot water.  Good location.  Free wifi both in the room and in reception.  Breakfast was included in the room rate but is a bit disappointing - two choices of cereal or toast.  It would be improved by adding a decent fruit salad or a few other healthy options.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was my first trip to Sydney and I stayed for 3 nights at the Altamont Hotel, which was a great experience. This Hotel has style, is perfectly located and has very clean rooms! Best of all is the staff, which was extremely helpful. I forgot my jacket when I left and they made everything possible to help me getting the jacket back (oversees). I highly recommend this Hotel, and will certainly be back during my next trip to Sydney!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Altamont for a week while he was attending a conference in Sydney. We were both very, very happy with our choice of hotel! The Altamont has a little bit of a B&B-type flavor, not as sterile as many hotels, and is certainly a great value for the price. To run down some points of interest:

- The room: Very comfortable. Extra blanket was provided since we were there in winter -- very much appreciated. The bathroom (with shower stall) was basic but clean, shower had good water pressure and temperature. For tea drinkers, note that the room came with an electric kettle instead of a coffee maker -- no coffee-flavored water! :-)
- Wifi: easy to connect to with all our devices (iPad, Kindle Fire, laptop). Connection was strong and fast in both the room and the common area.
- Breakfast: Basic but good (toast, yogurt, cereal, etc.). The only downside is that they put out the breakfast at 8 a.m. so for earlier risers, you might have to grab something else from one of the nearby grocery stores or cafes.
- Other amenities: The hotel has a roof deck that I found to be very pleasant. As a hotel guest, you also have access to a nearby (2-3 minute walk?) fitness center, which is well-equipped with cardio type machines and a steam room.
- Location: I found the hotel to be very conveniently located. Sydney is a very walkable city and from the hotel we walked to Paddington, the Opera House and Botanical Gardens, my boyfriend's conference venue in Ultimo, Woolloomooloo, etc. All of these areas are also easily accessible by public transport -- the hotel is also a very brief walk (~3 minutes) from King's Cross metro station, and is in an area well-served by buses (which got us to the beach, very straightforwardly).

But by far the best part of staying at the Altamont is having Kurt and Alan as hosts. They are both SO helpful, friendly, and welcoming. The best meals we had were places we went to on their recommendations and they gave us clear and easy directions to get all sorts of places. As two foreigners who didn't know anyone in the city, having Kurt and Alan around was invaluable!

TL;DR: The Altamont is a pleasant place to stay, and a good value, even without considering the wonderful hosting of Kurt and Alan. With that included, our stay was a great representation of the best of Sydney.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4, which was spacious, not too bright early in the morning, and has a lovely littl...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Central location, minutes' walk to fantastic restaurants & bars on Victoria St & 20mins walk into the city centre & Botanic Gardens. Quiet host who has an adorable dog but note this is a pet friendly hotel (for allergy-sufferers). Interior is extremely basic, motel style with a few trimmings that make it look slightly 'art hotel/industrial'. Regardless, room & bed were very comfortable & breakfast in the large reception is great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Lillehammer, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Room is OK, not new and fancy, but just what you need if you are an explorer like me and my mom; budget priced, central, good bed, good shower, a little fridge and a room big enough for luggage and shopping bags! ;) Towels changed and bed is made daily.

Breakfast is OK. Te/coffee, juice, toast, yoghurt and cereal. There are lots of cafes around that can be used for breakfast if you want something else! (or buy and store in your fridge)

Free WIFI, very convenient.

Right next to lots of bars, cafes and good restaurants - and also close to the red light district in Sydney, if thats what you´re after (but you will not be bothered by it as it is a couple of streets from the hotel). Only 10-15 minutes walk down to George street and shopping, 20-30 minutes walk to Opera house or China Town/ Darling Harbour. Bus and train very close - easy to arrive by train from airport and walk to the hotel, even with all our luggage (except changing train on the way as the stations are a bit confusing).

Excellent service from the receptionists!!

It is hard to find hotels in Sydney that are budget, central, with breakfast AND wifi - but this hotel has it. Absolutely to recommend for everyone that travels with budget!

If you are allergic to animals - note that this is an animal friendly hotel, and there is a super cute and cuddly dog in the reception :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
alanmzzz, Manager at Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Hi Hanne

Cheers so much for your very kind words about the Altamont. Your comments have highlighted all of our most important attributes.........that we are clean and comfortable, well positioned and very affordable. Free Wi-Fi and complimentary Continental breakfast are also little add-ons.

We hope to see you again when next you venture out of lovely Norway.

bye for now........Kurt, Alan and team
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I recently booked my elderly parents into this hotel after giving them a choice of location and style of hotel. Sadly my father had a fall prior to departure and the trip was cancelled as he was unable to fly. The hotel reservations manager refused to refund payment prior to their arrival and has an extremely poor attitude. I would NOT recommend booking this hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve B
alanmzzz, Manager at Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Steve

I was most sorry to hear of your Father's mishap and I did offer to extend him a credit for a future stay.
Your 3-day booking was made two weeks in advance - then, when you cancelled the day before arrival, unfortunately the room remained unsold.
However, I am still holding a room-credit for you and will be pleased to rebook your Father when he can travel again.

Sincerely, Alan Morris (Manager).