“A warm, pleasant and unconventional stay in Sydney”

Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
Ranked #17 of 62 Sydney B&B and Inns
Milano
“A warm, pleasant and unconventional stay in Sydney”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Altamont is a nice warm and quite place which has a well defined and creative personality. The feeling is not to be in a conventional hotel, but rather in something much more friendly. It does not matter if you're in Sydney with your family, for business, for a holiday with your partner or simply passing by: if you're looking for an interesting place where to meet interesting people, Altamont might be the right choice

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We recently returned from an (almost) 2 week stay at the Altamont, and we loved our stay. Alan and his staff were extremely helpful and accommodating--especially as we were travelling with two bikes--and the two rooms we stayed in were very comfy. The extra perks--free breakfast, free wi-fi, gym access, rooftop terrace--were great, especially considering the reasonable rates (hard to beat for Sydney). Also really liked having the two dogs around during the day--made it feel like home. The rooms were clean and well decorated, with lots of natural light and big bathrooms.

The location was perfect! We pretty much walked everywhere we went, but there was plenty of public transit nearby as well. There are lots of great restaurants and bars one street over, and there are some yummy options just a few doors down from the hotel as well. We really felt like we had the neighborhood experience--which we loved.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again if we're ever lucky enough to go back to Sydney.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I moved to Sydney from Darwin in September 2012 and stayed at the Altamont for a few weeks whilst I was looking for a place to rent. Alan kindly placed me in the Loft room for most of my stay which felt like my own apartment, rather than a hotel room, as it was huge by Sydney standards and styled with lovely handmade furniture and artwork. I walked to work in the city through Darlinghurst and Surry Hills and enjoyed sampling the delicious Thai, Indian and Japanese restaurants, as well as exploring local cafes and being rewarded with good coffee. What I really loved about the hotel and rooms were the interior design of earthy wood, art deco and retro industrial - very inner funky Sydney. And Alan was delightful, friendly and always up for a chat. His gentle nature and smile made me feel very welcome. As an animal lover, it was comforting having Alan's two gorgeous dogs (Bear and Slick) around and seeing guests bringing in their dogs and cats. I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Altamont, whether it is a short stay as a visitor or a longer stay, as it is close to Kings Cross station and the fabulous inner Eastern suburbs of Potts Point, Elizabeth Bay, Darlinghurst and Surry Hills. And the city is only a short walk away down the hill...keeps you fit! Thanks Alan, I have been spreading the word :)

Room Tip: Highly recommend the Loft room as it is very spacious and light. As it is a corner room facing two...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Saint Louis
Reviewed October 15, 2012

After reading so many glowing reviews of the Altamont Hotel, my husband and I were looking forward to our five night stay during our first visit in Sydney. We were very satisfied with the pricing, the rooms offered, the simple breakfast, (we found excellent "hot" breakfasts at the nearby cafes) the hotel's atmosphere, the nieghborhood cafes and congenial staff, especially Alan. It was also very "homey" to have Bear and Slick there to greet guests, along with Alan's great musical selections.

The location of the hotel is most perfect. Away from the hustle and bustle of the Circular Quay, The Rocks or either downtown areas, but easy to access those places in minutes via the Kings Cross train station or the buses. If you're in Sydney for more than a few days, do get the weekly train pass for $43. It is well worth it and the best way to get around Sydney easily.

Back to Hotel Altamont. There was a smell of mold which bothered me, but did not affect my husband. Alan was very concerned and responsive to what I was experiencing. We were given an upgraded room from a courtyard room. It was significantly larger, both the bedroom area and the bathroom, and the king size bed was better padded, more comfortable, but the mold smell still affected me. Looking at other reviews, this doesn't seem to impact others. I would say it is something to be aware of if you are senstive to smells. The hotel was clean and they did their best to ensure us a comfortable and pleasant experience. Overall a very positive memory for our first visit to Sydney and again, you can't beat the price for Sydney.

Room Tip: We were in Rooms 8 and 13. Both were quiet, unless you had noisy people in the adjacent room (1st f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
alanmzzz, Manager at Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Hello Lovetogo55 from St Louis

Cheers for your positive words about the Altamont - it's great that you found the hotel to be clean, our location perfect and that you were happy with our rates. Of all your helpful comments, one of the most pertinent is about the $43.00 weekly bus/train/ferry pass - such a great way to see Sydney.!

However, what a pity that you arrived after a week of solid Spring rain - the entire city had a damp humid smell for quite a number of days, (I must say, very unusual in early October). Obviously the combination of humidity and pollen in the Spring air was enough to upset your stay.

It is comforting that you had an overall very positive experience with us, and, we certainly look forward to seeing you again when next you visit Sydney.

Cheers from Oz..........Alan
Hayman Island, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The minute I walked throught the door I was impressed! I was greeted by a smile by the lovely lady at reception! It's great to receive service with a smile that's genuine!

The hotel is located just 3 minutes walk to King's Cross, 5 minutes walk to Potts Point, 10 to 15 minutes walk to Oxford Street, 15 minutes walk to QVB (Queen Victoria BUliding) 20 minutes walk to the Rocks and Circular Key and 20 minutes to Darling Harbour!
Close to trendy shops, restaurants and great coffee.. You're spoilt for choice!

The rooms a cleaned everyday. The rooms are basic with a nice comfortable Queen Sized bed, ensuite, TV, wardrobe and plenty of places to sit if you have guests visiting!
The hotel has a roof top terrace a great place to relax and entertain visitors away from the craziness of Kings cross. Downstairs there's a Bar area where Breakfast is served daily from 8 am! It also has a pool table which is hardly used so there's no need to wait most of the times!

The Bar area is opened from 8am to 8pm. Which is my only complaint I think the bar should open a little later especially fro the guests!

The staff are trustworthy, very helpful and are the friendliest staff of any hotel I've ever stayed at.

GAY FRIENDLY ACCOMMODATION!!!

I'll definitely recommend this hotel to any of my friends and family! Oh one more thing Dog's are welcomed and some like my Dog Benji may join you for breakfast in the morning :) so Bring your little buddies along!

Room Tip: Bring your GYM clothes because you get COMPLIMENTARY access to FITNESS FIRST Kings Cross.. If you do...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Jus returned from one night at the Altamont, staying in town for a meeting.
This fabulous place, very well looked after by Alan and his team, is a little gem hidden in your own town.
I can only highly recommend it and would have enjoyed to stay longer.
The creative layout if my sun filled spacious room gave me the impression to be somewhere in the Mediterranean with white walls, lots if timber and blue details.
The only thing missing was a darker Venetian blind or similar for the bathroom to keep the sun out in the morning and I wish the fridge would have been a bit quieter, but these things are only minor and don't take away from the overall very positive experience.
Thank you again Alan and your beautiful 4 legged friends in the foyer.
I will be back!

• Stayed October 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I enjoyed our brief stay at the Altamont, however we were located in room four which was not finished to an acceptable standard - the sink has a large (and I mean large) crack and dent in it which raised hygiene concerns. Also the lack of shower screen meant that the water flew everywhere when showering, and the bathmat was soaked in the morning - only one towel rack meant that we could only dry one of the two towels, let alone the mat! That being said, for such a central location at a bargain price I wasn't expecting the world and the rooftop courtyard was a lovely touch. The room was bright and clean and the shared exterior courtyard was lovely. All in all a nice place to stay but if I returned I'd pay more for a better quality room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
alanmzzz, Manager at Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Hello Sarah F

It's good to hear that you enjoyed our central location, pleasant atmosphere and our bargain rates - great too that you found our rooms to be bright and clean. Relaxing as you did with a glass of wine in our Courtyard and Rooftop garden is sublime after a long day of touring.
However, Sarah I am so sorry that you encountered a cracked sink in your bathroom. Unfortunately it seems something heavy had been dropped in the sink to damage it so, and housekeeping only reported the fault to me after you departed. Our plumber installed a new sink the very next day.
"All in all a nice place to stay" says it all - I will look forward to seeing you again when next you are in Sydneytown.

Bye for now.............Alan